Return black iPhone4 now, get white iPhone 4 later?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rangtang, Jul 16, 2010.

1. rangtang macrumors member

Title of the thread says it all. Is it possible to return it, and hold out for the white do you think?

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

There's a whole thread on this in this very forum. That being said it is most likely possible to do but not exactly very nice to the people who want black iPhones but have been unlucky enough to not be able to obtain one.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Let alone to those who have been waiting for nearly a month for the white iPhone. OP, Is it fair to them or to those who weren't able to order/get the Black iPhone, that you couldn't delay your gratification until the white iPhone comes out?

BL.

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

This question has been floating around for three weeks. No one has successfully done it yet.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

No-one has successfully delayed their gratification? I believe it. :D

BL.

6. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

A white iPhone 4 is not the only type of delayed gratification.

7. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

You have the right to return the phone free of charge within 30 days and the power to purchase a new one if you so choose. Of course nobody has done it as there are no white iPhones to do it with. The only possible complication is if they say you no longer qualify as a new customer and force you to pay a higher price on the phone if you want to purchase it but I highly doubt they will do that.

8. Mosi macrumors regular

Buy Black now and White later

I have a slight twist on this question,

Can I purchase the black one now with my upgrade and then purchase the white one (unsubsidized) when it becomes available and use the same SIM?

The reason I ask is because I want to try both out and see which one I like more and sell the other one?

9. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I don't see why not. You are paying the unsubsidized price for it.

10. Mosi macrumors regular

I thought so too but the unsubsidized price apparently doesn't mean no contract when it comes to the iPhone 4 and when I go to Apple's site it only gives you the option of buying a new one to replace an existing phone or to add a new line (which I don't want).

It sounds like they deactivate your old phone when you get your new phone?

11. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I thought about buying the white iPhone unsubsidized and then selling my current black ip4. If you order it online as a replacement phone, couldn't you just swap the sims before you activate the new phone the first time? Worst case only seems like you would have to call AT&T and have them manually switch the sim they have on your account.

On a side note, do you think a one month old ip4 can be sold for $700? I was amazed at the demand for my 3GS, in fact, the easy in which I sold that phone is what has me considering do a swap for the white iPhone, which is what I wanted originally.

12. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

I'm confused. Is there a difference between the white and black iPhones other then color? If it's just the color, isn't it a lot of trouble just to change the color of a phone. I'm sure there will be cases in every color under the sun.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

So lots of idiots couldn't wait for their white iPhones and bought black instead. Now they want to return a perfectly good phone so they can get white. There's tons of people waiting for iPhone 4s in black. Why couldn't you people just hold out for the white one if that's what you wanted all along?

14. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Remember if you return your phone you will no longer be able to use the unlimited data package.

15. christyn macrumors 6502a

False.

This is only the case if you activate another non iPhone device. Returning the iPhone 4 has nothing to do with the data plan.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The only idiot I see is you ^ since you insist on name calling.

That's called Freedom. If you have the option to return your phone within 30 days and choose to do so. Go for it.

17. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I did it. They even waived the restocking fee and told me that AT&T will credit the $18 upgrade fee. Now the wait for the White iPhone is even more painful. (I guess I should update my sig since I'm now iPhone 4-less)

18. mzri macrumors newbie

19. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

So you return a perfectly good phone to have it go in the refurbished pile just so you can get a white one? Why not just wait for the white one to come out.

20. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The only caveat is 72 hours between repurchase. The system will red flag your account otherwise.

If you're willing to go without any iPhone for a bit then it would work.

21. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I'm just gonna get ta white replacement glass back so I can have the best of both worlds....

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

iPhone 4 is not perfectly good. At least not at this point. Otherwise there wouldn't be an extended return policy for it.

There is a possibility the issue could be corrected or lessened with the white iPhone and black iPhones in the future. Just a guess on my end, but not like Apple would confirm. Otherwise everyone would return now.

For those that return the Black now for a White, yes it sucks for others. In reality though that's life. For the record, I don't have plans of doing that. I just don't agree in calling others idiots when acting within the terms of the policy.

23. puggles macrumors regular

Will I get my early upgrade price back of $200 if I return my iPhone?

24. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

So many rules. It's an OCD paradise. Gad why not just keep your old phone and wait for the new one to emerge then buy it? I was looking at the prices of the 3Gs on e-Bay and they are still high. So, you would be losing practically nothing if you kept your old one, got a new one, sold your old one.