Return current iPhone 4, wait a couple weeks, re-buy new one with fixed antenna?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Jul 16, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

1: Return my iPhone 4.

2. Use a "dummy" phone for a couple weeks.

3. In early August, order a new one. I will still be eligible for the same pricing I used for the first iPhone 4, right?

4. The new iPhone 4 batches will have a fixed antenna issue, so yeah... Non-launch adopters will have "fixed" phones.

Is this a good plan IYO?? Why or why not?

2. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

There are not going to be any hardware changes.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Because there is no design change coming. That was specifically asked and answered.

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

When did Apple confirm the upcoming hardware improvements/changes? :rolleyes:

5. mingoglia macrumors 6502

You never really know what assembly line changes could possibly be made. I've seen very minor tweaks snuck in to other products mid run without much mention to it. I don't follow apple hardware that closely so I couldn't say this will happen, but it's pretty common in manufacturing.

6. yankintx macrumors 6502

We do not know that yet. Maybe the free bumpers are being offered until September to get most of the early buyers past their return period. Then when they announce a hardware change, were stuck with a defective phone and a bumper required to make it work right..

My phone works perfectly with or without a case, but I upgrade each year and sell my old phone on Ebay . I wonder if the early made phones with required bumpers will fetch a lowered used price on Ebay, or whether people will avoid buying them. That would be enough to make me return my phone now and wait to buy a new one after the hardware fix. Heck, I use my Ipad so much that I hardly use the phone anyway anymore.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Is there going to be a new one? Steve jobs said the design will not change. Just free bumpers...

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If they really screw early buyers like this by changing design, then apple will face even more troubles.

9. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

I really don't care if they change the design after Sep 30th because I use my iPhone with a case anyway.

10. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

11. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

12. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I think the rational behind free bumpers for early buyers is: we did not know there was a problem and are being offered a free fix.

When sep 30, rolls around, you will know there is a problem and must buy your own case after that, knowing there is a problem at this point.

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

yeah, i dont think apple is actually going to fix this. It is what it is, if its not affecting you fine, if it is either deal with a bumper or return it, apple's not admitting to any problems and hasn't hinted at any changes to the design.

14. cenetti macrumors 6502

Of course they'll fix it. You'll see. Silently it'll be fixed. But there won't be any "design" changes from outside.

You really expect them to say they'll fix it and then deal with 1-2 million returns?

hahaha.... Return it and wait a few months..... ;)

15. appleg33k macrumors member

if you're gonna wait, then you might as well wait till september 30th. that is when they will have some sort of hardware revision. you're gonna get the same piece of crap iFail 4 even if u order in august.

16. dmelgar macrumors 68000

No hardware changes.
    They can't materially change the RF design of the phone without having to go through FCC certification again. That would take months by itself.

17. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Right. Which is why iPhone 5 will be different. That will be the first opportunity for hardware changes. :)

18. cenetti macrumors 6502

If they don't fix it then who's going to buy it ?

3 million people bought because they didn't know about the problem. Now who's going to buy a defective product ?

Only fanboys and idiots ...who else ? Let's see if people go for the "big" phone or the "defective" one. Good luck selling another 3 million from this point on....

19. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Do you have an iPhone 4?

20. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Fanboys, idiots, people that don't mind using a case... :rolleyes:

21. leftcoast macrumors member

I have a feeling that they are going to coat the antenna with some type of silicone or polymer, but then again it's apple so who knows.

22. cenetti macrumors 6502

I am not that stupid or fan of apple to buy a "defective" product. I bought an Ipad instead and keeping my 3gs... thank you very much.

I need my phone to work as a phone, as I use it to make phone calls.

23. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Or people who have no signal problem, with or without a case . . . Like me. :p

So no, then. You've never used one and have no idea what you are on about. Awesome! Your opinion matters not at all, then. Thanks for playing!

24. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Lucky you that you should live in an area with excellent cell coverage. I get 1-2 bars at home but 5 at work. This is on 4.0, by the way. I suppose you can guess in which location problems occur.

25. fastd macrumors member

I am thinking they will just coat the exterior metal with something, or maybe increase the gap between the antennas (antenni(?)) .
    Either way, it brings up the point that perhaps the original ip4 with a case could get better reception than the ip4.01 modified version. Which would mean the current ip4 would be worth more than the ones made after Sept 30.