Return iPhone 4 to Apple Store Nightmare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

To those of you looking to return your i4 for a refund if you purchased from an Apple store, it is a bit of a nightmare.

First they spend 30 minutes running Diagnostics on the phone, because I keep dropping calls, however to no avail. They tell me there is an issue but Apple has decided not to do anything about it because they are working on the issue? I mean Huh What was that. My choices at the Apple store was to live with my spotty reception, or just return it with no restocking fee. All they do is tell me every dropped call and my reception problems were the carrier which is AT&T? So your telling me that everyone out there having trouble with an i4 with known problems is caused by AT&T? What are they talking about?

I tried to reason with the tech and I was annoyed because they made me wait 45 minutes after my scheduled appointment, and I asked why they just can not replace the phone, he said Apple has decided not to do this unless you have a valid problem with your phone? What?

So I asked the process of returning it so my eligability would show back on my account and how to reconnect my 3GS, he said we return the phone they you have to goto AT&T Store and they reconnect your phone.

So pissed off I returned it, get my receipt then go to AT&T, they had to put a new SIM card in my 3GS, then reconnect my phone, and luckily I was able to keep my old plan with $30 unlimited data, and I confirmed I am eligible for the upgrade pricing when I decide to upgrade again. AT&T was really helpful and they took care of this as quick as possible, however the Apple Genius just blamed my reception issue on AT&T, I mean WTF is with Apple, it wasnt AT&T because I kept losing calls in the same spot I had full Bars and Full 3G with my 3GS.

I asked another Tech about the situation with the iPhone and he said Apple is working on a software fix, so I asked when it would be out, he not only didn't know he said just return your i4, so I asked why wouldn't they prefer to help me, then for me just to return my phone, he said because that is what they are told to do, their hands are tied.

Take it for what you will, just make sure if you return your i4 there is an AT&T store nearby, because Apple will only take back the phone and cancel your micro sim, they wont do anything else out to help you. I made sure I wiped the phone before giving it to them, bc the tech was just placing it in the box and trying to take it away, so I asked for the phone to wipe it and he was like annoyed with me.

Personally I am happy with AT&T and my 3GS, so until Apple gets their stuff together on the i4 I will wait, also next time I will never buy the phone from Apple, they are useless, I mean why make a Genius appointment then have me go almost an hour later?

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

OP - Not surprising at all. I had a similar issue last year with my 3GS when I got it on launch day. Yellow screen, bad signal. AT&T told me to take it to Apple. Waste of time. Apple gave me this huge runaround that AT&T is responsible for the phone the first 30 days. I was like what? Back and forth. It was a HORRIBLE experience.

In two days, I finally got the real answer. They did not have any replacements to give me so they made up the AT&T excuse. I was like thanks Apple. All the employees I dealt with except one were rude, snotty and downright terrible. It's nothing you see in the videos of all these nice Apple employees clapping and wishing you glad tidings as you purchase their product. :rolleyes:

Perhaps that only applies to their "BIG" stores? Lol Who knows. I hate, hate, HATE going to the local Apple store. I would rather cut myself with a rusty butter knife.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Clarification please...

Did you go into the store, say you wanted to return the phone and then they insisted on running diagnostics before they could issue a refund

OR

Did you go to the store, say you were getting poor reception, then they ran diagnostics, which determined your phone was "within spec, at which point said they could not replace your phone, but you could return it w/ no restock fee?

OR

Something entirely different?

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

My reading is post would lead me to believe it is the second one he wanted an exchange but apple said nothing warranting an exchange was happening so he could keep it or return it.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Personally I think you either got a bad apple "genius" or there's something missing from this story - like your approach to the situation WITH the employee.

I've exchanged 2 i4s so far because of camera imaging issues. And while there I saw a few people exchange for signal issues with no problem from Apple whatsoever.

Also - I fail to see how this is a nightmare. You had issues with your phone. They gave you your options - you made your choice and life went on.

How is this a NIGHTMARE? Sounds like hyperbole which makes me again question what kind of "state" you were in when you were at the Apple Store to begin with and how YOU handled the conversation

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Don't blame the op; after reading his story I'm sure he was quite lucid when he tried to return his phone. He has fine communication skills, I'm sure.

7. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I went in looking for a replacement or for them to fix my phone, after they ran Diagnositcs, they said there was nothing they can do referred all my issues to my carrier, then said you can keep it and wait for a fix or return it, and when I complained about the restocking fee they said I can return with no restock fee.

8. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I was reasonable when I went in, I was even 45 minutes early, registered and waited for them to call me to the Bar. When we were 30 minutes past my appointment I asked another rep to see where I am in the list of being taken, they were looking into it. So nearly 50 minutes after my appointment, I was just looking for a replacement and they just avoided giving me one, then is where the fun began.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Apple Stores only hire people like that. A reason why I'm never going to the Genius Bar again. They left pieces of my MacBook Pro's casing which caused my fan to fail because it got lodged in. Only found out when opening the machine myself and it falling out. It solved the problem.

It's about faking decent CUSTOMER SERVICE, not knowing what you're doing. :rolleyes:. Oh, and you have to look decent too. If they hired me, I wouldn't treat people like these idiots do. And no, I can't get a job at the Apple Store because they'd discriminate against my deformed face and speech impairments (protecting against trolls).

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Those are some hefty claims that I hope aren't true but I am afraid that they are. However, you should know there are some geniuses that are ok. Not enough but some. Find one you like and stick with them as long as possible.

OP: Within spec is going to be the answer until someone higher up actually admits to the issue.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oh yeah, probably are, just haven't met any. I'm a tech person myself though, so unless it's getting a new battery, etc, I don't bother.

12. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

Funny, I wasn;t looking to return it, but made a Genius Bar appointment just to get the "official" word on the antenna issue and the employee said he was aware of the issue and immediately offerred and exchange. I originally said no, I'll just wait it out and he was like "You sure? I can do it in about 10 minutes? Some phones have the issue and some do not and I can't guarantee anything, but I'm willing to try."

So I agreed to the exchange, forgetting I had some pics and a video of the kids on there I lost - my mistake! But the service was top notch even though the new phone has the same issue.

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Wow, I don't know what Apple stores you guys are going to, but I've had nothing but positive experiences. Their support on the phone and in person has been stellar.

14. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Menlo Park Mall in Central New Jersey, however from now on I will only go to the Freehold Raceway Mall's Apple Store, they Menlo Pk Mall seems to change it's employees very often. Everytime I go to the Freehold Mall they have some of the same faces, but not in Menlo.

15. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I've had nothing but good experiences at the Apple Store but then again i'm the type of person who doesn't put up with BS and passing the buck.

Pretty much if you felt that it was an apple issue then you should have stayed and ask to speak to a manager or something. They most likely are not going to issue replacements because

1) There is a fix coming for Those who have the issues.
    2) Inventory is low and they may be instructed to hold off on swaps because of a fix coming,

Next time stand your ground if you feel it was an apple issue.

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Whenever I've gone to the Apple store, they've been very polite. In fact, when I brought my MBP in to replace the broken fan, they only charged me for parts and waived labor costs. If they were faking customer service, they're doing a great job of fooling me.

17. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

"I asked another Tech about the situation with the iPhone and he said Apple is working on a software fix, so I asked when it would be out, he not only didn't know he said just return your i4, so I asked why wouldn't they prefer to help me, then for me just to return my phone, he said because that is what they are told to do, their hands are tied."

This. The fact that Apple is taking back the i4 is called owning up to the problem. You keep insisting that they help you out when the techs have flat out told you that they're working on it. They have no solution at this point but if there's one thing I know about Apple - they will find one. You just have to give them a little bit of time.

18. Apothacarion macrumors member

Apothacarion

Its just like any other retail establishment. Some people are good and some not so. I had to return my iPhone because my mic recorded audio that was all "static-y". The first day I went the Genius took the phone in the back for 15 min and came back and said all the phone were like that. The second day I went the guy agreed to replace it within 20 seconds of me showing him the problem. I have to wait for the replacement, but at least I know the problem is handled.

For the most part though, I have good luck with the "Geniuses" over the years.

19. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

20. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They've said nothing of the sort.

The only official statements from Apple have completely denied that there is a problem.

Some staff have said there is a problem, but those same staff said that iOS 4.0.1 would be out yesterday (i.e. Monday) to fix the problem. Those same staff also said Apple would have a more detailed statement out last Friday (June 25th) with more details.

Apple removed any trace of the statements from their staff that there would be an update to fix the issue over on Apple Discussions.

21. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Ok, soooooo, I don't get the problem here. I mean, if they replaced the phone, as they have done for others, the problem would most likely still persist. So what they said was right, basically. There is nothing they could have done currently to help you. I mean, why not wait a few more days to see if the "fix" comes out. Then if it works, cool. If you still had problems, take it back to Apple and return it.

As it is, they did let you return the phone without the restocking fee so that is pretty cool.

And by the way, I am NOT and Apple apologist or "fanboy" or whatever, I just don't understand what the issue is here that you are complaining about. :confused:

22. raremage macrumors 6502a

And the nightmare part happens where in this sequence precisely?

23. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Whether you see it or not, you do.

24. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Please buy an android and start posting on their forums from now on. You seem pretty difficult to please and are very impatient.

Sincerely,

The macrumors community

25. dagomike macrumors 65816

I would imagine by now Apple has cracked down on people exchanging phones for this issue. If you have a problem, a new phone probably won't help you.

If Apple will let you return it with no stocking fee within 30 days, it would seem reasonable to at least give them a couple week to see what they come up with. That is, if you really want the phone.

I'm waiting for #3 to ship to me, but I got it squared away on Friday.