return iPhone for macworld?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kurt92, Jan 9, 2008.

1. kurt92 macrumors newbie

rexently my iPhone that I got on Iday was stolen from me in NYC, immediately after I wentbto the new apple store on 14th at and brought another one as I know I can't live without my iPhone now, I have a fee days oft in the return period onthis iPhone, not sure if I should keep it or return it because if a new iPhone or a iPhone with 3G comes out I would be pretty pissed as I'm stuck with trying to sell this generation iPhone. Thanks, appreciate the advice.

2. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I think a 3G iPhone for the US would have to be approved by the FCC.

So at best we might hear a "pre-announcement" like we did last year, pending FCC approval. Which means we'll probably all be using EDGE for at least a few more months.

At least in the US.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Agreed. I don't think they'd be able to get FCC approval under the radar. Methinks this version of the iPhone will at least celebrate an anniversary.

4. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I wouldn't count on any kind of "pre-announcement". If Apple said "Look at this amazing iPhone version 2 we're releasing in 6 months"...It would put a dead STOP to people buying iPhone's for the next 6 months, waiting for the new ones to come out. Not exactly a great business practice.

5. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Agreed. The 3G phone will most likely be leaked from the FCC filings and not announced before.

6. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

wouldn't a 3G iPhone mean a new service provider too?att doesn't offer 3G does it?

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

AT&T does offer 3G which is why the sim card inside your iPhone has a 3G logo on it.

8. Puck. macrumors member

Puck.

Wow, there's some marketing dollars gone to waste.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Why? It's actually just paid off for the reason that I knew the 3G logo was on the sim card which means AT&T offers 3G. Now you and others know. That is why the 3G logo is there and the advertising of it on the sim card has paid off.

10. Puck. macrumors member

Puck.

No joke, the point was to the person who didn't know already. I already knew and so did you.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

LOL I get it now, I'm a little slow today. :D

12. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Just for y'all to know...

The whole 6 months of FCC approval is a big pile of BS. They did this partially because they were trying to hype a little, and also, there were some "copyright infringements" down here in the EU, iPhone was already registered by I believe Linksys or Conceptronic. Thats why it took 6 months. It can be done in 6 weeks, and, more importantly, it can be filled already for months, before someone finds out. Its not like you just go to the FCC site, hit Apple in search and get all of their patents. This stays under the radar for a looong time. Have you seen the whole "docking station in iMac patent?" That thing was filled in 2000 and 5. And, like said, the introduction of the 2nd iPhone is probably not going to be 6 months ahead, so its either introduce it the 15th and bring it out like, March or so, or, introduce it in March/April, launch it June, July, or even August. Just my 0.02$...

13. Puck. macrumors member

Puck.

Yeah, completely correct on the point that the 6 month deal is complete ********. It's quite possible to get things under the radar or hush hush, and release them far more quickly than 6 months out. I'm not optimistic to see a 3g iPhone before summer, but sure, it'd be great if it's on the way. Something will be here before you know it I have a feeling, either with iPhone 1 at 16 gigs to stave people off, or the next one with 3g. They aren't going to sit idle for too terribly long, especially with the demise of the 4 gig model. There was obviously a reason for that that correlates to a marketing plan, not just poor sales.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Check their website. Most/all of their smartphones (except the iPhone and Blackberry) are 3G.

ATT Smartphones

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Man, I hope you didn't type this post on your iPhone.... doesn't say much for the touchscreen keypad..... or maybe for your touchscreen skillz.....
    :D

/I kid, I kid.

16. kurt92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, sadly I did I was typing the post fast and was walking so I rushed it. Seems like the spell check isn't the best. The touch screen is good and my typing skills arnt too bad since I'm a big texter.

Anyway I guess I'm going to keep it, if worst comes to worst and they do come out with a improvement soon I can always sell for a somewht reasonable price, I'm happy with my iPhone anyway, I don't really feel a need for 3G right now but it would be nice to have.

17. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Yeah, I had no idea they had 3G. I'm guessing they charge more than $20 a month for it too so I'm fine with edge for when I'm not in wifi range, which doesn't happen often.

18. DAKnits macrumors newbie

Do you think they'll lower the price of the current iphone?

I am also considering returning the iphone I just bought. Do you think after the announcements at Macworld that the price will drop on the current verion? Do you think they will drop the price right after Macworld, or do you think it will only be dropped close to the release date of the 3G iphone?

19. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It's possible to have hardware components that come with FCC pre-approval. Maybe Apple will do that?

I suspect we won't see 3G for at least another 6 months though. However it might be nice to be proven wrong.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Just because they may be announcing 3G (but probably not) at MWSF, doesn't mean that they have to seek FCC approval starting then. Maybe they already have FCC approval. Maybe they are halfway through the approval process. Maybe approval will come in 4 weeks. You know?

Anyway, I don't think 3G will be the big iPhone announcement. From all the stuff I've been reading, and all the speculation from the "experts" and "insiders", I doubt 3G will be announced next week. The announcement will be the new 1.1.3 features, and that there is a new iPhone size- 16 GB (like the iPod Touch) - and the 3G announcement will come in the fall.

21. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

They won't charge more for 3G data. It would be a complete headache for AT&T to do so, as the change is seamless. When I had my BlackJack II I would be in a 3G area one second and then it would flip to EDGE the next second and back again.

When the iPhone goes 3G and it has as many users as the EDGE network does now, I can picture AT&T's network coming to a halt. Any phone now days can get EDGE and you can get EDGE even in rural areas. 3G, not so much. The infrastructure isn't there yet. And most phones that have 3G still use browsers that only get mobile websites and e-mail. Nothing has come across like the iPhone before, with real browsing. The data coming down for that will be unreal.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

Makes sense to me.

Just give me my 16 GB iPhone, and I'll be a happy boy.

23. DAKnits macrumors newbie

Sorry to ask such novice questions, but based on past history, when the make announcements at Macworld, how soon is the new product available? For example, if they say that the 1.1.3 16kb iphone is now available, would that mean it's available in stores right away and will be replacing the current version? Would they drop the price of the current version until the 1.1.3 version is released? Would they offer both versions, but the newer one at higher price? I know it's all speculation, and I apologize if these are questions that can't even be speculated upon -- I'm completely new to all of this so I'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yep, I know.

iPod Touch has two memory slots, the iPhone one. The 16GB Touch is no indication of a 16GB iPhone.

Otherwise, I agree with what you say.

25. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

16 kb huh... wel thats what I'd call a scam ;).

But I understand what you're saying. I don't know what to expect either. 1 thing is for sure; 1.1.3 is gonna come, and its gonna bring a couple of nice features with it. In time, the software will overtake the hardware. Like video recording; if this is supported at some point, more memory is gonna be a must. Luckely, its only 4 days away, and then we'll see how its gonna come down.