Return MBP15 due to uncomfortable edges?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yinmay, Mar 25, 2011.

?

Do the sharps edges on the MBP15 hurt your arms?

1. Yes and I will/have return(ed) it

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Yes but I will keep it

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. No problem

29 vote(s)
    63.0%
  1. Yinmay, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

Yinmay macrumors regular

Hi, I bought the MBP15 i7 2.2 ATI 6750. In terms of power it's great. I've been able to run every game I've thrown at it.

The problem is that it's very uncomfortable to use. I've been using a MBP13 until now. On the 13" the tip of my fingers reach the function buttons while the base of my palms would rest at the bottom edge. My forearms would therefore not touch the edges.
    On the 15" however, the base of my palms rest about 2 inches from the edge resulting in my forearms touching the sharp edges below the trackpad at about 2 inches below my wrists and it's been very uncomfortable so far.

I hope my explanation make sense: the MBP13, although it has the same sharp edges, thanks to the position of my wrists relative to those edges, I was never bothered by them. On the MBP15 I feel them all the time and it's leaving marks on my forearms.

I'm thinking of returning it just because of this. Am I doing something wrong? Will I get used to the edges eventually? Is there an easy fix?

Thanks.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Do I think it's worth returning it? No, but you're not the only one who feels like this. It's something that people have been complaining about since the unibody. I have learned to get used to it.

3. Yinmay thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Have you used both the 13" and the 15"? Do you confirm that the 13" doesn't have the same problem (even though the edges are equally sharp?). Or does it depend on each person?

4. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Meh - the edges don't really bother me.

If they're an issue, just put on the Speck Seethru Satin or a similar case... they "extend" the edges out, and the edges of the case are much softer than the edges of the unibody.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I have used both, but I really don't ever notice it. I really just think it depends on the person. My girlfriend has a speck case on hers and that seems to help.

6. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

It's a triumph of "style" over ergonomic design. Style is king at Apple. Sometimes we love them for it. Sometimes not.

7. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

As someone who just switched from a PC, I'll second your annoyance.

The sharp edged on my MBP 13 cut into my wrists rather sharply. It's really annoying.

8. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

:confused:

If you're truly worried about ergonomics, you shouldn't be resting your arms on the "palm rests" while typing anyway.

9. Yinmay thread starter macrumors regular

In theory I'd agree. But:
    1. When I'm sitting at my desk using an ergonomic chair set at the perfect height (bottom of the elbows on the same line as the top of the keyboard), I still feel the edges, but they don't hurt since I'm not applying any pressure.
    The only way not to feel the edges at all is to set the armrest higher -> even less comfortable.

2. When I'm using it on my laps, there's no way around it: the edges hurt and my posture/ergonomics can't be blamed there I think.

3. When I'm using it anywhere else (which by definition happens often for a portable), e.g. at a coffee shop, on the plane, on any chair with no adjustable height/armrests, it'll hurt.

10. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

lol good gawd. Hurts your arms? LOL. LULZ. Bwahahahaha. Go buy an iPad.

11. Yinmay thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I mean forearms. Sorry for not being a native English speaker...

12. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Still better than my white plastic MacBook. Those edges were harsh.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Actually, I found the edges on my 2007 MBP to be much more uncomfortable. These don't bother me at all.

14. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

My forearms are just as bada$$ as my arms.

15. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

[​IMG]

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My wrists don't find the edges uncomfortable because I never rest my hands over them; if the table I'm using a bit tall for whatever chair I'm on, I will stand up or place the computer on my laptop therefore negating any issues.

17. tcador macrumors regular

18. Miss Terri, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

People seem to bring that up whenever there is a complaint or note about the sharp edges, but even if one types with perfect position, what about when one is just surfing the web? That's when it really bothers me. If I'm simply web-surfing or interacting with the web, I am using the trackpad only the vast majority of the time. So my right hand is on the trackpad and my wrist......well, it's getting deep red grooves from the edge of the computer.

I can't imagine that many people hold their wrist up in the air when using the trackpad by the hour. I know I don't. I rest my palm on the... palm rest!

I've had Apple laptops ever since my Duo. Both it and the iBook had very comfortable, rounded edges. Again, not such a big deal when typing (although why have them be sharp at all :confused:), but a major plus when web surfing and there were no marks and no pain from the edges. Those were the days. I can't WAIT until the unibody is changed. I tried to hold out but gee, my iBook got a bit outdated.

OP, it's funny, I was wondering if a 15" would be better. Not for typing as much, but for web surfing. I find that on the 13-er, now that we have the "one big trackpad/button" that in order to use the palmrest and trackpad when I'm websurfing, I have to put my forearm at an awkward sideways angle. I think that's because there is so little room between the bottom of the trackpad and the front edge of the computer, but I'm not sure. It might not be so noticeable if the edge were not sharp, because then I would not be trying to keep my wrist from accidentally touching the front edge of my computer!!

It could be worse though: The first MBP I got had super sharp edges; it was like they had not even filed off the machining schkuzz before anodizing it. I returned that one and got one that is nice and smooth ---- or, as smooth as possible within the sharp design parameters.

I did originally buy a Speck hard case figuring I could wet-sand the edges of the case and thus have a nice smooth front edge. But.... the case adds one pound (and some thickness) to my nice light MBP! It would be nearly as big and heavy as my 2001 iBook! Noooooo! So for now I have not even opened the Speck case.

Anyway, as one who tends to type with "good posture," I STILL feel your pain when I'm web surfing. If only these new-fangled computers just had keyboards and not these crazy trackpad thingies :rolleyes:

;)

Miss Terri

19. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

20. Treeman574 macrumors regular

For typing and gaming the edge doesn't feel sharp at all.

I don't know why this is such a big problem.

21. Cantisama macrumors member

22. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Harden up.

23. snaky69 macrumors 603

Learn to type and use the trackpad properly. My wrist never touch the edges and I dare say my ergonomics are fine.

24. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

When seated properly at a proper desk, using proper typing posture, I agree that there is no problem with the edges. But many of us buy laptops because we need to use a computer in a variety of settings and positions. We can't always be proper. When circumstances call for improper laptop posture, the sharp edges can be irritating.

The OP is not alone in disliking this. According to the informal poll results above, 30% of current responders are annoyed by this part of the MBP design. Sharp edges and human flesh are not a happy combination. I still believe that Apple's use of this "edgy" design is a triumph of pure style over ergonomics. This is something Apple could really improve in the next design, if they're so inclined...

25. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh