Return Mid 2015 and wait for Skylake? (Reading the forums have made me nervous)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Royksöpp, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

All this talk about Skylake has really got me feeling sick about my recent purchase. I still have my mid 2012 nMBP, which I haven't sold yet. I can still return the new one. Would that be smart?

[​IMG]

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

I bought my Macbook pro in late January (mid-2014 version) and I absolutely love it and I don't care about any new macbook pro's for at least 4 - 5 years. It's super fast and runs everything I can throw at it.

That's the beauty of the mac, you know your macbook will be good for years to come and will run great. If you love your mac now, then don't worry and enjoy it. If you worry about every new tech (processor, etc) that comes out, then your going to give yourself health issues IMO (stress, etc).

Keep calm and Mac on.:)

3. Desi530 macrumors newbie

Desi530

It depends... Do you absolutely NEED a new MacBook right now? The 30% increased battery life in the new CPUs was enough for me to return my early 2015 13" rMPB. You can't go wrong with buying now either because they're so fast already, you won't even notice a difference when doing normal day to day stuff. In conclusion, you shouldn't feel remorse if you're satisfied with your current purchase.

4. Royksöpp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

I really don't. I think I can wait at least 6 more months.

5. Desi530 macrumors newbie

Desi530

It seems the 15" refresh will come this year with the new quad core skylake CPUs poised to be released anytime now. and the 13" will come early-mid 2016 based on speculation that the 28w skylakes will be released in early 2016. The wait shouldn't be too long

6. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

I returned mine and added an SSD to my 2007 MBP. This will get me through until Skylake.

Ultimately, I decided that the 4 year old CPU Apple used in the mid 2015 update was something I'd be disappointed with if the next iteration was a complete design change.

If you can hold out for a year, do it.

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

yeah there is basically no difference between 2013-15 15" rMBP

8. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Here's the lowdown, the only person that can make this decision is you. No one else. If you want to return the macbook you just bought and wait for MBP w/ skylake, then do it.

Nobody here will laugh or bash you for keeping the macbook you just bought. As long as you enjoy your new computer, then thats all that matters.

Heck, I bought my MBP back in January and less than 2 months later, the broadwell MBP's came out. I didn't care. Sure, I was a bit disappointed; but by that time, I had my macbook pro running the way I want and I was enjoying it (especially that gorgeous screen:D).

9. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

10. markovchain macrumors member

If you know what you use your computer for, you will never get nervous about ever-changing technology updates.

I bought MBP to learn faster algorithm coding. Skylake supports 512 bit SIMD instructions set so a new Xeon-based MBP or Mac pro is on my next list of purchase.

11. Royksöpp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Not liter
    I normally wouldn't care, but it seems as if it's right around the corner.

12. prospervic, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

This being mid-August, if I still had my 2012 rMBP, and was still within the 14-day return window, I would take the 2015 model back and just keep using the 2012 (which is a fine machine, actually) until the new Skylake models show up.

But since I sold my 2012, and my 14-days ended five weeks ago, I've accepted, and made peace with my decision to purchase the 2015 model when I did. (After all, it's a smooth running Mac.)

Having said that, I admit I would feel some serious buyer's remorse if a Skylake rMBP with a redesigned chassis showed up in October. My only consolation would be that this machine, being practically brand new, could be sold at a minimal loss, allowing me to purchase the new Hotness. (Would not do this if the rMBP came in the current case -- that would mean going through this process twice!)

13. Royksöpp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

Thanks. Sorry about snapping on you the other day in the other thread. This has just been bugging me but I've decided I'm going to wait.

14. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

That's the problem, will Apple just do a silent upgrade between now & xmas and wait until 2016 for the major MBP model redesign. Or, will they do nothing for a new MBP for the rest of 2015 and announce the brand new, redesigned skylake MBP's in 2016. No one knows; sure, there will be rumours. But until apple has a press conference, no one will know.

There's something new around the corner all the time when your dealing with computers. The advantages of Apple products is that you know your macbook, iPhone, etc will be updated with the newest OS for a long time.

15. Royksöpp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

What do you think the chances are of an announcement at the iPad event? That would be the perfect time.

16. prospervic, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

No problem. I sensed your frustration. I felt the same way when I purchased my 2012 rMBP, and the majorly improved Late 2013 model appeared FOUR MONTHS LATER!

17. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Usually, the iPhone event is usually just for the iPhone & iOS stuff. I can possibly (my opinion only) see an announcement late Sept or Oct because of OS X El Capitan, where they will show off new & improved features. If they do have a press conference for El Capitan, then that's when they will probably announce the new MBA & MBP, in my opinion.

But, I cannot stress enough that I have no inside info at all. I love mac products and taking a big guess.

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

None at all. The skylake roadmap seen today (see front page of macrumours) shows 15W chips (macbook air class) fairly soon, 28W chips (13 inch pro class) not until 2016 and the quadcore 47W are not even given a mention yet.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, the roadmap is telling in that we shouldn't hope for a skylake 15" MBP this year.

OP, if you're happy with the computer, keep it. I can't see skylake being a huge improvement, Intel's tick/tock schedule pretty much means small but measured improvements.

One thing I didn't see is what you use the computer for. Will your activities even require what skylake brings to the table?

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

Does Skylake offer anything for your usage that the current machine does not?

If that answer is no, why bother going through the hassle?

21. NJPT macrumors regular

I have to disagree. The fact that only the U class Skylake roadmap was leaked is hardly evidence that HQ class Skylake chips won't be announced at IDF on August 18, or that these HQ chips are delayed beyond prior roadmaps showing a September-November release timeframe. For example, mobile Xeon Skylake chips weren't leaked with the U class roadmap, but obviously they're coming soon, as Lenovo has clearly shown us (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960...inkpad-p50-and-p70-graphics-workstations.html). All that the absence of Xeon or HQ class Skylake chips has shown us is that the roadmap for those specific chips has not yet been revealed.

22. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

There's no denying that HQ class Skylake chips are coming, but the question is when. The bigger question is if Apple is planning a major (or minor) redesign of the case of the macbook pro. If they are, I don't expect a new MBP model until 2016. If they aren't , then I can see them coming out with new MBP models in time for the holidays.

23. NJPT macrumors regular

I largely agree with you on this. That being said, I believe my point stands: the absence of HQ or Xeon chips on a limited roadmap leak specific for U class chips tells us nothing about the status of non-U class chips, be they HQ or Xeon.

24. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Forgot about Xeon, good point.

25. nStyle macrumors 65816

The real question is what does your 2012 lack that any new MBP would give you? The 2012 is still a great machine (assuming retina)...I wish I had kept mine.