RETURN or KEEP: Just bought new MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Higuys1, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Higuys1 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new macbook pro retina and I love it.

Though, there is a HAIRLINE scratch on the screen out of the box that ONLY can be seen in the sunlight or if I shine a flashlight on it while the screen is OFF.

It cannot be seen when the screen is on and in use.

Am I being ridiculous to have it bother me? It was more than $2600.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a matter of opinion, but mine is: yes, definitely.

3. mediotanque macrumors member

If I pay 2600 and there's a scratch in the screen I'm going to return it without doubt.

4. BL4zD macrumors 6502

return it. there is no reason to concern yourself over something you paid for. maybe it will get scratched one day or maybe not but regardless you should do the scratching. and open the new one in the store and make sure there are no dead pixels or dust or anything you don't like. apple wants you to be satisfied, too.

5. Higuys1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions.

The thing is I've heard some people get yellow screens, creeking, etc etc

Everything about mine is perfect except the hairline scratch.

And in all honesty you CANNOT see it at all when the screen is on and in use (like right now).

Only if you go out in the sun with the screen OFF, if you tilt the macbook pro you can see it in the right light.

It doesn't affect the functionality or experience of the device at all.

I just don't want to return it and get another one that has some other problem...

ALSO, will post a picture in a minute....

Thanks guys.

6. Higuys1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here it is with the screen off and my iphone flashlight on it. Will post without flashlight on it.

Attached Files:

7. Higuys1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a pic with the screen ON. You can't see it at all. It should be somewhere in the circle.

Attached Files:

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If it is there, wasn't caused by anything you did, and bad enough that you notice it, then yes....return it.

9. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I don't know if you should return or keep, but the lint and dust was far more detrimental to the screen's appearance than the scratch. Couldn't find the scratch.

10. Omnirai macrumors member

Like they others said, its a personal opinion if you want to return it or not..

If you are not willing to play the lottery again to get a perfect rMBP, I would keep it. It will save you alot of energy.. Imagine if you need to go through several devices to get one that you are satisfied with..

My 2 cents :p

11. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Thee is no answer for you here. No-one else will regret what you don't do.

12. Higuys1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean, I don't think I would regret keeping it simply because, honestly, I'll probably forget about since I can't see it on a day-to-day basis.

Now if I saw it every time I turned the computer on then yes it would really bother me.

But I'm never going to see it unless I choose to (by taking it out in the sun or shining a flashlight on it)

For basically 100% of my use, it's invisible. It does not exist, since nobody stares at their macbook pro with the screen off in the sun lol.

Am I sounding reasonable?

Thanks guys.

13. Shmanky macrumors regular

Does the case creak? Is the screen yellow? Does it have muddy corners or regions or green gradients? Does it have image retention? No stuck pixels? No muras? Dude, you got one of the rare good ones. You're going to end up scratching the screen yourself over the years under normal use. Send it to me if you don't want it. If you exchange it you're going to get a unit with some sort of problem and wished you had kept this one.

14. Higuys1 thread starter macrumors newbie

God Bless You!

I needed this lol.

I knew I was being picky.

The main thing for me is that it doesn't affect usability at all. It's not like it creeks when I pick it up or when I turn it on I have to look at a yellow screen or there's image retention or dead pixels.

Nothing like that at all. Even this tiny hairline scratch cannot be seen when the screen is on and in use. Can't even be seen when off unless you take it in the sun or shine a bright flashlight on it

15. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

To be honest, if I paid $2600 for a computer I wanted it to be perfect.

16. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

1. If I paid more than $2,600, I would return a scratched screen for sure.

2. You got one good computer, sans the scratch, why wouldn't you get another good one.

3. If you don't return it, you will have regrets after the 14 day open return policy ends, and then it will be too late.

17. Higuys1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but you think I'll regret it even if I cannot see the scratch at all?

When the screen is on, the scratch is not visible.

When the screen is off, it can only be seen with the iphone flashlight or in direct sunlight. Even in regular light at home the scratch cannot be seen with the screen off.

18. funkysmurf macrumors newbie

The very fact that you posted the question would indicate that it bothers you on some level. You're paying a lot of money for a premium laptop. I'd say return it and get one that's free of defects however small they may be.

19. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

^^^ This right here

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Return it.

Also, I had some chicken with rosemary peppercorn potatoes and broccoli for dinner. I suggest the same.

21. jonesea macrumors newbie

If you bought it online, you have 14 days with absolutely no questions asked about why. It's just 1 or 2 clicks.

22. Higuys1 thread starter macrumors newbie

My only concern is what if my next one has other problems? Like a yellow screen etc..

The scratch makes no difference when the screen is on. I cannot see it when the screen is on...

23. blooperz macrumors 6502

I can't see it at all in the pictures you posted, and it sounds like you can't really notice in person either unless you strain yourself ...if everything else checks out (no yellow tint etc) I would probably keep it...but maybe thats just because I've gone through 3 exchanges and i still have yellow tint :( ...when I went back after my 3rd they offered me free applecare because i think they were tired of opening new units so I decided to keep it since it's not very noticeable.

It's easy to be overly concerned when you spend that much money on a machine ... I know that I certainly was at first, but chances are its not a problem thats going to affect your use of it in any way so I wouldn't sweat it, especially since its bound to get scratched sooner rather than later...<--- IMHO

24. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Obviously it is visible and it must bother you or you would not have started this thread.

25. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

this is precisely the reason why it's so hard for me to buy apple products from anywhere other than the apple store.