Return Policy / Tiding me over until my Phone comes in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadgetfreaky, Oct 1, 2016.

1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

So I'm still waiting on my Jet Black Plus to come in....To pass the time, could I buy one of the in stock items and then just return it in 2 weeks when my JB comes in?

I feel somewhat bad about it but it does appear to be within Apple policy.

I'd even take a pink one....

2. rsbacon macrumors member

rsbacon

3. Mr_Killjoy Suspended

Mr_Killjoy

Are you that pathetic that you need to pull a scam to be able to tolerate your own impatience?

That's the real question you need to ask.

4. noobinator, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016

noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

That would a shame if you did then this broke the pink one.

5. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

Well you only get to enjoy the latest iPhone for about 360 days give or take a few so two weeks is too many to be without one IMO then it's scrap and onto the next

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This does not seem logical at all.

7. evorc macrumors 6502a

evorc

8. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

9. newellj macrumors 604

All the rest of us, who will be the ones paying for your unethical return, say: hey, no problem, we don't mind paying for your abuse of the return policy! :rolleyes:

10. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

i'm thinking of doing the same thing. getting a silver + in store, until jb + moves; return the silver

i just don't have a temp phone to use while i wait. i know it's a suck thing to do

edit: i have a 7 jb, but wanted a jb + ,
    also i have to return this 7 next week, the 14th day is Thurs. :///

11. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

As a person who works in cell phone retail, this kind of behavior annoys me. Basically it causes the store to have to either burn a phone (pretty much means it can't be sold b/c it's a return) or sell it used (meaning they have to discount it) Sucky thing is that phone could've been sold to somebody, who actually wanted it. And thats also the reason why restocking fees are in place

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

This is a sign of the new mentality that is so prevelant these days.

13. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

The return policy isn't meant to be used as a "rent a phone" until the color/size/capacity you want is available.

If you already know a product isn't what you want before you buy it, then don't buy it. Leave it for somebody who wants that actual product.

That said, yes Apple has a very lenient return policy. But abusing that return policy is going to ruin it for the rest of us.

14. mark-in-mk macrumors 6502

mark-in-mk

An interesting thought. In a little way it makes me think of the level of tax paid by Apple in Ireland. Its completely legal, but a lot of people consider there to be ethical questions.
    Apple responded that they are paying what they owe.

15. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Yes you could do that. The fact that you are considering it, however, is concerning.

16. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

exactly it's within the rules and the law.

17. takasugi macrumors regular

Do what you want. Don't listen to any "moral" arguments - last time I checked the return policy did not say you had to have a "moral" reason for returning the phone. The policy is you can return it within 14 days for any reason. If Apple doesn't want people using the phones for 14 days and returning them, they would change the policy. The phone will be refurbished anyway so Apple is not out anything...they are using new iPhone 7's as refurbished units now.

18. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

19. ZipZap macrumors 603

What scam. There is a 14 day return.

20. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I'm somewhat guilty about this, but it was more so because I felt Apple was grossly overcharging me for a year old phone. I returned my wife's 6s+ when I was fortunate enough to reserve an in store pickup up a week after launch.

Had the difference between the phones been much more than $120, I would've kept it.

21. ZipZap macrumors 603

And many of you probably ordered the iphone 7 on 9/16 knowing full well you'd likely return it. Just had to have it on launch day or see it.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It sounds like you already had an answer...

Can you do it? You know you can.

Will it get people's feathers ruffled here? You know it will.

23. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

actually- i would think apple would track returns. Amazon does it. Enough returns and they'd possibly get ticked. I wondered if people had heard of such repercussions.

as far as the forum response, a little surprised how sanctimonious people were. If apple made had prepared enough supply it wouldn't be an issue. While that's no excuse- the delays are pretty ridiculous on orders. People are going to try strategies to mitigate that.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They do track them. And if you abuse it they blacklist you. But I do think that's location based. As in that specific Apple Store has the blacklist. There have been threads on this. But the numbers are much higher than the one time you're suggesting here.

I'm not really surprised by forum response though. You're essentially asking "is it ok" to buy something that you full well intend to return. While it may be within policy rules I don't think we need to argue that this isn't what the policy was intended for. Still, people will do it.

As an aside, this is one of the reasons Best Buy dropped down to two weeks (previously 30 days) as well as started taking IDs for returns.

25. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Morals only apply to the middle class and poor people ......................... apparently
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2016 ---
    When people do things that I find morally irresponsible, I get really annoyed dang it. Of course when a sexy corporation pays people in another country 30 cents an hour to work 18 hour days producing my shiny new gadgets at an affordable price, I have zero complaints