Return/Replace iPhone 4 For Slight Scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoneDude8822, Jul 27, 2010.

1. iPhoneDude8822 macrumors newbie

Before you read/judge this, I realize there have been other threads on this and that many of you wouldn't consider this being nessasary of a return for such a small problem, but to me, this is important. Ok, on that note, I'll start my question.

I've had my iPhone 4 for about 2 weeks and I've been trying to be extremely careful about getting my iPhone near keys or dropping it or anything. I previously had an iPhone 3G, and it had many small scratches/ware etc. Somehow, today I noticed there were multiple small very unnoticeable sratches on and near the screen! My question is, would I be able to return it to the Apple store or get a replacement? The scratches are extremely unnoticable and most people wouldn't care, but I'm trying to keep it in top condition, and if I got a new replacement, I would be even more careful and get a case. My 30 days isn't up yet (since I activated it). If I returned it, would they allow it if I said I didn't like the antenna problem or proximity sensor or something. Also, would they allow me to replace it for another new iPhone 4? If I do replace it, would AT&T allow me to keep my unlimited plan, or would they make me start a new plan?? I already ordered my free case, would that also get cancelled? Please answer, thanks! :)

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

No one knows. You can ask them and find out though.

3. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

They'd laugh at you dude. No genius is going to replace your phone for "slight" scratching, sorry to be so blunt.

If it's that big of a deal to you, either A) lie about your "proximity sensor problem" or B) return it and hope they have phones for you to re-buy.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you can return for any or no reason within your 30 days. At that point, you will be at the same state as you were before you upgraded so yes, if you have unlimited, you can keep it. You will also be eligible for a subsidized phone....think of it like never upgrading and being in the same position you were not even 30 days ago

However, after 30 days, it is really up to how kind the genius is in terms of replacing it for those issues but while you are within 30 days, you can return it easily for full refund

5. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

No.
    No.
    No.
    If you managed to get a replacement, which you shouldn't, you would be able to keep your plan.
    I would certainly hope so.
    You are welcome.

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I don't think they'll give you a replacement for minor scratches, however since they have the 30 day thing you could go that route. The best thing to do if you want to do a return and swap is to get on a priority list and when the new phone comes in take your old one in and explain to them you want to swap them by returning your current one and getting the new one. You should be able to pick the unlimited plan again when they go through the activation of the new one.

7. ChubZ macrumors regular

Apple replaced my iPad due to scratches on the screen that were caused by normal everyday use. My iPad was in an apple case from day one. I don't see why the iPhone would be treated any differently

8. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

How the hell did you manage to scratch the screen if it was in the case? And Applecare replaced it? That's awesome. I figured the iPad's screen was like my old 3G - close to invincible but now I'll keep an eye on mine :)

(mines been in an Apple case since day 1 also)

9. iPhoneDude8822 thread starter macrumors newbie

But wouldn't that completely cancel my plan? My current iPhone 4 replaced my old iPhone 3G plan, so if I got a refund for my current iPhone, wouldn't that plan get deleted? And AT&T said they won't let you add unlimited data onto a new iPhone plan unless it's an upgrade.

10. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Just because you return your phone, doesn't mean Apple needs to put in a word to AT&T to cancel your plan. Keep the plan and have them reverse the upgrade. Once that's done, you've never technically canceled the plan, just returned the phone.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You would be reverted back to what you had on your 3g iphone. So if you had unlimited on your 3g, you will get that back. You would also regain your upgrade status

Downside is you may have to wait to get an iphone as you would be essentially the same as a new iphone 4 customer

If he fully returns it under his 30 day mark, his iphone 4 contract would be canceled and he would go back on the one he had with his 3G.

If he is simply trying to get a replacement refurb phone with the intent of keeping the new contract he recently just signed, it is up to the genius really

12. rickolis macrumors member

rickolis

They're minor and unnoticeable? If it bothers you, try exchanging it. For me, scratches make character. Besides, I don't plan on keeping the phone for more than 2 years. Maybe just one ;) You should see my first generation iphone... the back has so many scratches on it, but it still worked fine until I replaced it!

13. onesweetearl macrumors member

... and this is why geniuses have hard time trusting people... because of people like you. YOU scratched your phone. not apple. YOU. so tell me please, why they should replace it for you

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

I got a scratch on the side bezel the first day I got it, I'm over it now. Its a phone and its inevitable if you really think about it. Why don't you try a screen protector before things worsen?

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If I was apple, I'd politely tell you to leave the store. Of all the reasons I've seen people use to replace a phone, this seems the most ridiculous.

16. iPhoneDude8822 thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, I didn't scratch it, I let someone hold it and after I noticed small scratches on it. There is no reason for it to get scratched because someone held the phone!

17. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

Go return it and say you dont want it, they'll accept it.

18. iPhoneDude8822 thread starter macrumors newbie

But then if I wanted a new iPhone 4, isn't there only option to create a new plan, you can't add it to an existing plan?

19. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Nothing wrong with being OCD but dude you're taking it a step further.

You came on here for advice and you're getting it, but don't sit here and argue with the people giving you the advice you came seeking for.

And if none of the answers are doing it for you, you might want to accept that you're hard to please.

And before you flame me just know Im trying to help, and being blunt about it is my way of doing it.

20. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Then have that person pay to replace your phone. I don't see why apple would be responsible.

21. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

This is ridiculous and irrational. Either stop being OCD or stop hanging out with people whose hands are made of diamonds.

22. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Not only OCD but paranoid too

get over it ( please refer to my screen name)

For the guy with the Ipad, curious as to what you told them to get an exchange for scratches ?

23. BadMoon macrumors 6502

LOL! This is absolutely insane. It's a phone! Do you not think you are going to have minor things happen to it even if you are the most careful person? Again, it's a phone, a tool, and meant to be used. Unless you plan on keeping it in a box or a glass curio relax. ITS A PHONE!

Thank you. :D

24. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Slight/minor scratches are classed as wear and tear, and I doubt they'd replace it over that, as things do happen to the casings of any product. If it's more than slight, i.e. a deep scratch/crack something like that, they could class it as abuse or accidental damage, either way they'd decline your replacement request so you might have to go the 30 day return route.
    It's up to us to keep these things nice and shiney, and plenty of options to do so, and also depends on the genius you speak to in store.

Maybe post of photo of said scratches on here? But if they're that small, i don't think you'll get any joy I'm afraid.

25. Charadis macrumors 6502a

If the guy wants to return his phone, he has every right to for any reason under the 30 days. He paid for his phone like everyone else and he has every right to be satisfied. Geez!

OP, schedule an appointment with the Genius bar at an Apple store and tell them you'd like a replacement. If this is not possible, return the phone to Apple or AT&T if you bought from AT&T. Your Unlimited Data plan should still be intact, but you may not have a phone for awhile unless you have a backup iPhone or there is available stock.

When you do get your phone, I recommend putting on a full body protector skin, like Zagg IS. I have BestSkinsEver full body and it is awesome; feels like a nekked phone, but with a shield. I prefer not using any cases where dirt can still seep in somehow; using a case that rubs against the phone with dirt in it is almost like a sandpaper to your phone

Good luck ;)

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4