Return your watch now (or do not buy)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ben_Dover, Jul 4, 2015.

1. jday7757 macrumors member

I get quite a laugh reading some of these "problems" with the Apple Watch. I will say right off that I haven't purchased one yet (waiting a couple more months for financial reasons). However, it seems to me that a lot of people really didn't do their research before purchasing and their expectations were too high. I've had a Pebble for a couple of years and have been very happy with it just for the convenience of the notifications I get (and even seeing who is calling on phone calls) without pulling out my phone. Knowing that the Apple Watch does notifications better than the Pebble and has several additional features I know for me it will be worth the cost. I still don't expect it to replace my iPhone, iPad, or retina iMac. Is the watch perfect--no. But, for a 1st generation product I think it's pretty darn good and many of the issue or small irritants should be corrected when WatchOS2 is officially released.

2. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

What an absolutely histrionic thread title and post. Oh, and pointless.

3. teknikal90 macrumors 68040

teknikal90

This is the first apple product that I tell people not to buy.
    I got mine as a gift

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

OP's name, join date, and avatar all point to a word that rhymes with roll.

5. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

I love my Apple Watch more everyday. My iPhone's battery lasts longer now that I wake it so much less than without it.

6. Ben_Dover thread starter macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

I don't think I mentioned it being an iPhone on my wrist. Again, it's awesome as long as it works consistently.

7. Ben_Dover thread starter macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

I don't hate apple. Hate is a very strong word. Like people towards my post. I just don't like the apple watch for now. Doesn't mean I will not be buying the next apple watch.

8. Ben_Dover thread starter macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

I didn't have high expectations. Same as you, I bought it as a watch and the rest are just icing on the cake.

Again, as long as it works, it's amazing.

I hope you enjoy your watch soon :)

9. Ben_Dover thread starter macrumors regular

Ben_Dover

I know. Jaws so excited. The first two weeks were amazing. Showing it off to friends and family thereafter, I must say, they weren't sold. Lol. I should've demoed it the first week.

10. rosario1990 macrumors regular

I have my own. I love this one so far. Can you tell me why i'll love this after 3 months?

11. Shinigami301 Suspended

Shinigami301

Sign thirteen of a nutcase. Posts multiple replies to himself in thread he started.

12. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    did you actually get an Watch?????
    or are you simply trolling

another thread has you getting a SS black Link bracelet, so come on answer

13. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Does it matter what they think? Do we not buy the watch, or anything else for that matter, to please ourselves?
    I know I do, I couldn't give a beavers headache cure for what other people think of my purchases. I want, I get, I'm happy.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

I doubt that's the case. Look at how many improvements they are making to Watch OS 2. My guess is that the software was as big a holdup as the hardware, if not bigger.

15. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yup. If you're familiar with any other first gen iOS products, you'd know that the first iteration is almost always hampered in significant ways. In the watch's case, I don't think there's much wrong with the hardware at all. But clearly the software has a lot of room for improvement and we're seeing some of those improvements in watch OS 2.

16. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It is the number of OS 2 changes that is behind my reasoning that OS 1 was probably done a long time ago. Apple announced a ton of stuff at WWDC, just a couple of months after the watch was released. It seems like the development team would have had to put a bow on OS 1 a long time ago and been in design and development to get the betas out and everything in place for WWDC.

17. psylence2k macrumors 6502

How is it controlling your Apple TV with it ? Can you do everything on the watch that you would normally do on the remote ? Turn the Apple TV on and off with it ? Can you activate Airplay without having to touch your phone ?

18. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

Controlling the Apple TV is ok, the watch is small, so it will take some time to get used to the very small movements, I can’t remember if the digital crown works for the remote app, I’m in the office for now
    but you can use it very similarly to the normal Silver remote, left right, forward back etc.
    You can force touch for more functions, selecting speakers, and other functions which i can't remember for now !!

I’ll try and post some screen shots later

19. Yixian macrumors 65816

As a non-Watch owner it does strike me that the naysayers on the AW are so vocal and seemingly pretty sincere. Like them I am usually an early adopter but there's just something a bit too half baked about the watch as it is now.

The thickness of the watch is a major turn off to me but other than that, hardware wise, I'm happy.

But as you say the software just appears to me to be very rough compared to normal Apple standard, worryingly so for a flagship product.

Why, for example, they designed that home screen for a watch with a rectangular face, when it seems perfectly suited and much more attractive on the mockups of a round face, I don't understand.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I might just buy another so I have one for both wrists!:p

21. Tzuten macrumors 6502

I'm an Apple fan, but not a fanboy. When the Watch was announced I was skeptical of it. But decided to give it a shot, and guess what? I do enjoy it. But I am realistic with my expectations. It's a watch. The physical constraints of a wearable device are very real, so I didn't expect it to do anything better than my phone. What I expected would it to allow me to check the weather, time, my calendar, etc with a glance without having to pull out my bulky iPhone 6 Plus out of my pocket every time.

I think people who are vocal about their return/dissatisfaction of the product, load up their Watch with apps and expect the experience to be the same or even better on the Watch as it is on the phone. The App performance (and I mean performance, not the UI/design) is the Watch's weak spot. But I'm optimistic that this will improve when devs can build native apps. We will see..

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What do you mean by the "home screen"? Are you talking about the overall shape of the watch, or something else?

If you are asking why the Apple watch isn't round like the Moto360, I believe it is because a rectangle is better for displaying text, and a lot of Apple watch functions involve displaying text.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Are you referring to the Mythical creature that regenerates health and is vulnerable to fire based attacks?

24. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I'm trying to make sense of your post, but I just can't. Did you just state a bunch of random things without actually having a point?

25. ianrip, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

Howdy, an update to my previous post
    Here’s some screen shots
    No force touch for remote apple TV

Podcast show up as now playing in the Music App glance screenshot

Force touch can be used in the Music app
    But in the Music app glance, you cannot force touch, but you can select or deselect the STAR
    Some other force touch features such as selecting source (Watch or iphone to play music)
    Force touch for airplay
    Force touch to add a STAR to now playing station in music app
    the Music app works very well on the watch for now
    The remote app not as much functionality

Watch Music 11.png Watch Music 112.png Watch Music 12.png Watch Music 14.png Watch Music 15.png Watch Music 17.png Watch Music 16.png Watch Music 18.png Watch Music 19.png