Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
This story seems odd - my experience with Apple returns in UK has all been via UPS collection. I don't accept that they'd leave their system this open to failure (or abuse).

If something has gone wrong & the issue has somehow been 'misrouted' through their complaints system, then I'm sure they'll fix it when flagged.

No way this gets left as a 'he said / she said' for the customer between Apple & Royal Mail.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
This story seems odd - my experience with Apple returns in UK has all been via UPS collection.
This. In my experience of multiple returns (both faulty devices and ones I've just decided not to keep) over a long period of time Apple UK have never sent a random Royal Mail label for returns, it's all done via UPS: you either take the item to a local UPS drop-off point or they will collect it from you. OP's story doesn't add up.

Reactions: svanstrom

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Whilst Apple is being particularly intransigent in this case, my experience with the Royal Mail has always been awful.

A lot more packages are getting 'lost' at the moment as courier services are outsourcing to handle the increased demand of the climate. It stands to reason the Royal Mail may also be hiring supplementary staff with looser morals than the regular lot.

I hope you get enough traction from Apple to take this problem under their own wing and do right by you. It'll definitely be quicker than trying fight the post office.

As an aside, a funny anecdote that might help you know that some of us get retribution on the Royal Mail was ... one time years ago I ordered something to the value of about about £100, it was RAM in this case. The postman stuffed a "sorry we missed you" card through the letter box while I was literally standing by the door. I pop out the door to expectantly get my parcel and he freezes empty handed and gives me this shifty answer that he 'called the day before but I wasn't in' (lies) and that he wrote this card today. Anyway, I had to go the sorting office to get it and obviously - they can't find it. I call and email the Royal Mail and they fob me off, I then contact the seller and they say "happens all the time, we're insured and will send you a new one". RAM in hand and satisfied I forget all about it until two months later. The Royal Mail send me a letter apologising for losing my parcel and a cheque for the cost of the "missing" item.

I took great GREAT pleasure in cashing that cheque. Screw that lazy / thieving postman.

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
One thing here... to those saying it's not Apple's repsonsibilty, you're incorrect.

Apple have a responsibility to chase this up with Royal Mail, not the op. The contract with Royal Mail is held by Apple, so it's their responsibility to claim from Royal Mail.

The op's responsibility here is limited to proving that the parcel was handed over to Royal Mail, as instructed by Apple.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
This story seems odd - my experience with Apple returns in UK has all been via UPS collection. I don't accept that they'd leave their system this open to failure (or abuse).

If something has gone wrong & the issue has somehow been 'misrouted' through their complaints system, then I'm sure they'll fix it when flagged.

No way this gets left as a 'he said / she said' for the customer between Apple & Royal Mail.
Yep I second that. Every return that i have requested has always been via UPS. A box is dropped of and i take it to a UPS drop off point or call UPS to come and pick it up. Apple never use Royal Mail for high end devices. There is no way that Apple would commission Royal Mail to pick up a £1200 piece of hardware with insurance cover for £200

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
I had to return my iPhone 11 pro once with apple for an exchange they used ups they came and picked it up from my house. I would be very surprised to now hear that they are using royal mail for items of this value. I don’t think OP is telling the full story here.

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Hi everyone and thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

I don't really see the point of me opening a topic here to lie about what happened. Which benefits would I get by doing so ?

I am seeking advice / people which had the same issue ; I'm not organizing a pity party :)

Below what I received from APPLE (not mine as I didn't take a picture of it before sending it)

The-box-Apple-sends-xl.jpg

So that's the thing, there's not "A lot more to this story"...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
but even with a return label there should still be an option to send it special delivery with Royal Mail which you would then be covered by surely?

Reactions: bbfc

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
This. In my experience of multiple returns (both faulty devices and ones I've just decided not to keep) over a long period of time Apple UK have never sent a random Royal Mail label for returns, it's all done via UPS: you either take the item to a local UPS drop-off point or they will collect it from you. OP's story doesn't add up.
My iPhone and iPad were both sent by royal mail as per apples shipping label when they went for battery replacement service.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
In my view the contract of shipment is between royal mail and apple given that it is a pre-arranged, prepaid shipping label you received. As long as you can prove you handed the parcel to Royal Mail (does your postage receipt include the weight of the item?) then the issue is between Royal Mail and apple.

You might need to write a clear, concise email or letter of complaint rather than wasting your time speaking to customer services. Be clear and to the point about what happened and what you want them to do to fix it. Don’t waffle or gripe, just lay out the facts succinctly.

Reactions: Nicolas_Poy

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Let's get back to the start here…

HOW did you go about contacting Apple?

It's a very old "scam" that people try to fill search engines etc with their fake numbers; so people actually never call Apple, and then the customers send their devices directly to the thieves thinking that they've sent it to Apple.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Let's get back to the start here…

HOW did you go about contacting Apple?

It's a very old "scam" that people try to fill search engines etc with their fake numbers; so people actually never call Apple, and then the customers send their devices directly to the thieves thinking that they've sent it to Apple.
If the address the OP sent the phone to is as per the picture above (Magna Park, Lutterworth) then that is definitely the right place as that is where my iPhone and iPad went. I believe it is Syncreon or a subsidiary of theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: svanstrom

nzh999

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Have you had a chat with the Citizens Advice? I've found their advice useful in the past and can provide letter templates, key sale of goods statements (which, of course, may or may not apply here).

I completely agree that this is Apple's mess to clear up. You shouldn't (or need) to contact Royal Mail.

Hope you get some clarity and resolution on it soon.

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
I contacted APPLE directly through the Apple support app and the iPhone was sent to Lutterworth which is a legit address. So I have no concern about that.

It is getting odd as some of you had a courrier coming directly at your home to pick the package while I had to use Royal Mail.

Currently calling Apple as there might have been the wrong treatment to my case.
I sent back my iPhone because it was faulty - not for a "classic" repair (broken screen or battery replacement).
So maybe they should have sent a carrier to collect the package directly ?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I contacted APPLE directly through the Apple support app and the iPhone was sent to Lutterworth which is a legit address. So I have no concern about that.

It is getting odd as some of you had a courrier coming directly at your home to pick the package while I had to use Royal Mail.

Currently calling Apple as there might have been the wrong treatment to my case.
I sent back my iPhone because it was faulty - not for a "classic" repair (broken screen or battery replacement).
So maybe they should have sent a carrier to collect the package directly ?
They might have different local arrangements.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
This is a mail problem, not an Apple problem.
I disagree. If the OP received a label from Apple for the return, then as far as Royal mail is concerned, Apple is the shipper. The OP could not add insurance, and Apple absolutely should be insuring their returns labels... or assuming the risk of not doing so.

If OP had gone and "mailed it" himself, then I'd agree with you... but in the age of vendor-generated return labels, a receipt showing the item was handed to the royal mail (ideally indicating weight) should be enough.

OP: Can you open a claim with your credit card company perhaps? You may be able to do a chargeback given all of the paperwork you have in hand.

Luckily, here in the US I've never had an issue. I avoid the USPS like the plague, but whenever FedEx or UPS lost an insured package, they always paid out my claim instantly... no 60 day wait like with postal service. Furthermore, when vendors generate the label, I make sure I get a receipt, but like the OP... I have no control over the insurance as I'm not legally the shipper. In the case of the return label, the shipping company has no relationship or contract with the consumer, so the vendor MUST handle any and all claims. Luckily, I've never had this issue with UPS or FedEx return labels, but I'll definitely try to return in-store for any high-value items after reading this.

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Well I just had another unproductive call with the Customer Service.
They have no information about the Return Label Apple provide and they say the issue can't get escalated any further.
I asked their opinion about not having a carrier coming at my door to pick my iPhone and again, they have no information about it.

They also have no email address which can be used to raise a complaint.

It is so frustrating, how can customer be left without any proper support. I'm surprised and disappointed.

Reactions: Fozamo

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Well I just had another unproductive call with the Customer Service.
They have no information about the Return Label Apple provide and they say the issue can't get escalated any further.
I asked their opinion about not having a carrier coming at my door to pick my iPhone and again, they have no information about it.

They also have no email address which can be used to raise a complaint.

It is so frustrating, how can customer be left without any proper support. I'm surprised and disappointed.
So, you never got some sort of number or ticket or anything indicating that they would send a return box to you?

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
So, you never got some sort of number or ticket or anything indicating that they would send a return box to you?
Hi Svanstrom, yes I have everything from Apple : A case number, a repair ID, a confirmation saying they shipped the box to me....

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Hi Svanstrom, yes I have everything from Apple : A case number, a repair ID, a confirmation saying they shipped the box to me....
So the acknowledge everything up to, and including, that you've handed the package to be sent back to them using their box and label; with the shipping company acknowledging having received the package?

I'm sorry if this sounds repetitive to you; it's just that this whole thing is unbelievable.

There's just no way that a company like Apple can get away with business practices like these; it's probably not even legal.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
What does your entire tracking history show? Step by step including SMS and/or email messages? Tracked 48 provides that.

Nicolas_Poy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
So the acknowledge everything up to, and including, that you've handed the package to be sent back to them using their box and label; with the shipping company acknowledging having received the package?

I'm sorry if this sounds repetitive to you; it's just that this whole thing is unbelievable.

There's just no way that a company like Apple can get away with business practices like these; it's probably not even legal.
That's right, even Apple, on their side, confirm they can see I handed the package to Royal Mail.
And that's why I'm so frustrated, because I don't understand how this whole situation is possible, especially coming from Apple.

I asked the Customer Service to, at least, tell me what motivated their decision not to replace my phone but they don't have the information. And when I ask for a contact they tell me there's no contact I can liaise with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.