Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beachbum99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I loved the iPhone 4 speed wise and brilliant display. It was night and day between my old 3G. However, the reception issue and lack of a fix made me return the phone. I want to buy another one when the dust settles and the reception issue is resolved.

When do you think this will be fixed? :confused:

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
I loved the iPhone 4 speed wise and brilliant display. It was night and day between my old 3G. However, the reception issue and lack of a fix made me return the phone. I want to buy another one when the dust settles and the reception issue is resolved.

1/1/2011 when Verizon gets the phone. If you really returned the phone for a stupid issue like "Don't touch this one place" then just wow.

ItsAlanisBitch

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
1/1/2011 when Verizon gets the phone. If you really returned the phone for a stupid issue like "Don't touch this one place" then just wow.

If it was a "stupid" issue then not many people would be complaining about it. But everyone is. So it's clearly an issue. Maybe not to you but for thousands of others.

WOW. JUST WOW.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA

A friend of mine is on the verge of returning his as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if he switches to EVO. Too bad too, since he was an Apple convert when the 2G iPhone came out.

I know if he switches to EVO he'll never come back to Apple products. Shame on Apple on this one... it'll be a lost customer.

Ethan

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
1 month? 2 months? 6 months? A Year? NEVER???!!!!

Take your pick. Since Apple isn't talking it doesn't really matter.

Sorry. I guess I'm starting to regret selling my 3GS.

One thing for sure. It will get fixed.
But at Apple's rate of coming out with new products, it may not be before the Verizon iPhone in January. May not get fixed until iPhone 5.

Hopefully they'll at least patch the problem by applying a clear sealant to the bottom antenna. But I wonder how durable that would be, and how susceptible to chipping.

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
Returned 3 of mine today. I have no problem waiting a couple months and using my 3gs until then. Nobody knows when the fix is coming. If they say they do, they don't. And ya the display was awesome, but I need to make calls lol. When they release a real fix, I'm willing to jump back in.

dead_smed

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Milton Keynes
Very very tempted to return mine as well. I fear it's doubtful a fix coming for this model, with or without the bumper mine is effected.

beachbum99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I don't think a case or bumper will fix the issue. I wrapped by hands around cloth and gripped the phone and it still suffered reception issues.

Didn't Apple say it will be fixed with a software patch this past Monday? It's now going on Thursday and still no fix. It's not an easy fix as most people predicted since there is still no fix.

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
Very very tempted to return mine as well. I fear it's doubtful a fix coming for this model, with or without the bumper mine is effected.

Yep all of mine was doing it with and without the bumper. It was a no brainer to return and wait. All Apple had to do is announce a timeframe for fix. But since they didn't, it was an easy call. I even gave them a couple days lol.

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
i returned my phone to ATT today as well. not only were the bars going all over the place, data over 3g was spotty at best. my 3gs never had a single problem loading anything, but the 4 was hit or miss, mostly miss.

question to the people that returned theirs:

were you guys also hit with the 10% restocking fee? I almost caused a ruckus today because I cant see why you have to pay 30 dollars to return a defective product. I was pissed off. they said at the store it was a mandatory apple policy. is this true?

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
No issue as proven today by Anand in the only scientific test to date.

Go back under your bridge troll.

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
NO restocking fee since I bought it online and returned it via 1-800-myapple

i returned my phone to ATT today as well. not only were the bars going all over the place, data over 3g was spotty at best. my 3gs never had a single problem loading anything, but the 4 was hit or miss, mostly miss.

question to the people that returned theirs:

were you guys also hit with the 10% restocking fee? I almost caused a ruckus today because I cant see why you have to pay 30 dollars to return a defective product. I was pissed off. they said at the store it was a mandatory apple policy. is this true?

dwldmo

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
I think Apple should stop charging restocking fee for a defective product. This is just ridiculous. No one spends so much time in the queue for a product to just return it.... we're returning it for a reason

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
No issue as proven today by Anand in the only scientific test to date.

Go back under your bridge troll.

Your "no issue" is contested by a rather lengthy line of real world case examples. If you want to throw "scientific" around, then please refrain from using a term such as "proven" within the same sentence.

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
I think Apple should stop charging restocking fee for a defective product. This is just ridiculous. No one spends so much time in the queue for a product to just return it.... we're returning it for a reason

completely agree. its total insanity. well at least im happy now that my contract isnt extended and i can get the new phone on verizon in january (maybe).

so is the restocking fee just if you returned it in the store? i ordered mine online as well through att premier

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010

I agree I loved my iphone 4 and so did fam - minus the phone part. What's not to love. lol. That's why my plan is to re-buy once the issue is 100% fixed.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
I agree I loved my iphone 4 and so did fam - minus the phone part. What's not to love. lol. That's why my plan is to re-buy once the issue is 100% fixed.

Yea, i havent gotten one but now im also gonna wait it out till all the "kinks" are works out... but why is it so damn hard?!?!?!?! OMG :(:(:(

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
Yea, i havent gotten one but now im also gonna wait it out till all the "kinks" are works out... but why is it so damn hard?!?!?!?! OMG :(:(:(

Only Steve can answer that question. Steve tell your engineers to hold it the right way when running diagnostics. lol. j/k

purell

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
If you return it, do they charge for that month's AT&T service?

It depends I guess. In my case I didn't bitch. Just wanted my old phones converted back and get back to work. They apologized and all that stuff. Maybe you can squeeze free stuff out of them, if you complain long enough.

tullys

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Lowlands of Hampshire
Have you returned iphone4 in the UK

Here in the UK we have reasonably strong consumer laws regarding this sort of thing (I've quoted a few at the Genius Bar in the past).

Anyone reading this in the UK? Have you returned your iphone4 to an AppleStore? Did they even try to charge a restocking fee?

I'm on Three (that's a phone n/w in the UK). I too can see really bad signal deterioration with the Bumper fitted. I'm seriously considering returning the phone (and the bumper) before the Three 14 day cooling off period expires.

Slightly regret sending my 3G to money4mymobile.com so promptly (within 3 hours of getting the iphone4 sync'd) even if I did get £205 for it -- but that will cover buying something to replace it in the meantime.

Bottom line is I would have been happy with the iphone4 for the 24months of my Three contract (TCO £909 over 24m) but when there is a good chance of a significant design change within 12m I'm not prepared to have Prius of the phone market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.