RETURNED my Alu Macbook ...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alex000it, Nov 3, 2008.

1. alex000it macrumors member

I bought an Aluminum Macbook on Oct 16th and in the first days I was happy with it.
    But then I discovered that it had the slanted keys problem, a loose battey cover, the display's viewing angle was too bad for me.
    First I thought to keep it, but at the end I made a reservation at the genius bar, went back to the Apple store (a 3 hours car trip BTW..) and asked for a replacement.

The genius was super kind and replaced it even though the 14 days were over.
    In my car I discovered that the replacement MB was whorse than the one I returned and went straight back to the Apple store.

The genius opened an other one with me, but it was the same, so he decided to give me a full refund.

Now I know: Never buy REV A !
    I'll wait till REV B...

2. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

You may also want to consider a clearance MBP. I was considering the MB, but for the reasons above, decided to go with the MBP classic. 1399 with the edu discount; 1349 if I went refurb.

To each their own, however. Each computer fills a certain niche...

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Sounds like the MB's are trying to fill the DELL niche...I've had to return two or three macbooks because of the various and sundry problems listed above.

4. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

I would get a refurb MacBook Pro if I were you.

5. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

I am starting to feel like the only person who got a perfect macbook and am happy with it.

6. svndmvn Guest

3 issues? I don't wanna seem one of those saying you should accept "okay" quality control,I'm on my 6th iPhone 3g and I sold my rev A original Macbook and I'll probably buy an Aluminum Macbook in January..
    ..but out of those issues the only "serious" one is the most subjective one, the display in my opinion,but you can't really ask for a replacement because the view angle isn't acceptable to you,right?
    I read you could repair yourself both Fkeys and Battery Cover issues..

7. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

Nope mine is perfect too.

8. ptsube macrumors 6502

Mine is going back to Amazon Wednesday. I called Amazon and they said they would waive the restocking fee.

I just ordered the last gen base model to replace it. I get similar performance, other than the GPU, for $430 less. In my mind, all I'm losing is the case. And man it is a nice case. I will probably upgrade when Nehalem comes out next year. Hopefully by then Apple will finally put Blu-ray in there notebooks.

9. lensam macrumors newbie

Only the second, mine is ok. I'm lovin it

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That is when it makes sense to upgrade for me also. When Nehalem comes out they will make all these new Macbooks seem outdated performance wise. I can easily wait a year or a little more especially for that. By then hopefully Apple will have decent screens in them and take care of some of the QC issues they are having.

11. Aelyrin macrumors member

Advice to the OP. Stop reading Macrumors, you returned 3 perfectly good laptops that you were pleased with before you read these forums.

When the rev 2 machines come out you will not buy one because they didn't fix the "glaring quality issues" and "Apple does not listen to it's customers" and whatever whining crap the majority of the people out here complain about.

Your problem is not that your computer had the issues you described.

Your problem is that you read Macrumors, discover the "issues" that other people out here complain about, realize that your computer has them too and get upset.

I fell into the same boat as you, suffered from product dissatisfaction for awhile, then one day stopped reading Macrumors and learned to love my 2nd Gen MBP.

There are some wonderfully helpful posters here, and if you have a genuine problem, you may get lucky and they will actually help you. The vast majority are the ones who have a love/hate relationship with their consumer behavior and will never be satisfied. They are tainting the forums with their complaining and wikiwhining habits.

Next time you buy an apple product, stay off the forums and learn to be happy with your own perceptions not influenced by the dissatisfaction of others.

~Ael

12. foodle macrumors 6502

I'm glad there are people like the OP out there to keep the refurb pipeline full of perfectly good machines :).

I picked up my Al MB a week ago, and I'm sure it's riddled with "defects" but I've been too busy installing software, adding RAM, an Intel X25-M SSD, and actually using the computer to go over it with calipers and an SEM to find all of the problems.

13. foodle macrumors 6502

Amen, brother.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

LOL...

I was reading another thread and people were measuring their MacBook's screens with calibrators to measure contrast and black levels.

If they're that discretionary with their screen quality, maybe they should've gotten the MacBook Pro to begin with instead... :eek:

15. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

nope. me toooooo!:D

16. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

lol. Me too! It's a work of art.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I'd be careful if I were you. People like that mean serious business.

[​IMG]

18. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

Amen. It's kinda funny to imagine the conversations these people are having with non MR members...

"What happened to your new notebook?"

"I got rid of that CRAPBOOK! IT SUCKS!"

"Errr, ok. Why's that?"

"The contrast ratio is only 145:1!!! How am I supposed to use that?!? It's an abomination!!!"

"Oh, ok then. So you're gonna get a PC instead?"

"Nope, I just returned it for an even more expensive notebook! TAKE THAT, STEVE!"

19. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

This post just made my really crappy day. Thanks. :D

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

my MB frustrations

Had 2.0 with mediorcre C989 screen. Unacceptable.
    Returned, upgraded to 2.4 MB. Took home, and discovered slanted keys. Unacceptable.
    Returned 2.4, listened to profuse apologies from apple store reps, discovered just before I got out of store that they swapped my 2.4 with another 2.0. Unacceptable.
    Swapped for 2.4. Checked to see if it was 2.4. Checked for slanted keys; none. Checked screen quality; still not great but mostly acceptable.

Little bridge holding hard drive in was overtighted and screw was warped. Can't really tighten down. Can feel hard drive vibrate during disk intensive operations. Trying to decide if acceptable or not.

Has Apple's quality control gone in the crapper lately, or what?

21. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Unacceptable :p

22. lensam macrumors newbie

23. jade macrumors 6502

Me too.

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

rebuttal

I refuse to accept your lack of acceptance of my acceptance shortcomings of the new mb's.

25. tweaks macrumors regular

WOW great post!! I couldn't have said it better.

Bravo!