Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Androiduser1

Suspended
Original poster
May 13, 2023
But disappointed really, spoke to an apple sales agent online to confirm my trade in value for my 11 pro max and made it clear to the sales team it was not an apple battery, but a 3rd party, they explained that was not an issue.

Anyhow my iPhone 15 pro max turns up, start getting comfortable with and then my trade in value email gets confirmed for £0 for having a non apple battery.

It was more principle that I didn’t want to pay out an extra £250 on a phone that was already £50 per month, I didn’t see the value and felt I’d been honest with apple and a reduction in price I’d understand, but to be offered £0 was a shock.

I hope maybe I’ll return to apple on the 16 pro max, but at £1199 here in the UK it’s a steep ask.

Before anyone mentions why don’t you get the 15 or no pro models, because no 120hz screen and the battery life and camera are key things for me on a phone, and I can get this done with a pixel 8 pro with a good reduction discount or similar android device.

Ah well, sorry you won’t get the minutes wasted reading this back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But disappointed really, spoke to an apple sales agent online to confirm my trade in value for my 11 pro max and made it clear to the sales team it was not an apple battery, but a 3rd party, they explained that was not an issue.

Anyhow my iPhone 15 pro max turns up, start getting comfortable with and then my trade in value email gets confirmed for £0 for having a non apple battery.

It was more principle that I didn’t want to pay out an extra £250 on a phone that was already £50 per month, I didn’t see the value and felt I’d been honest with apple and a reduction in price I’d understand, but to be offered £0 was a shock.

I hope maybe I’ll return to apple on the 16 pro max, but at £1199 here in the UK it’s a steep ask.

Before anyone mentions why don’t you get the 15 or no pro models, because no 120hz screen and the battery life and camera are key things for me on a phone, and I can get this done with a pixel 8 pro with a good reduction discount or similar android device.

Everyone is different, but your story is one of the main reasons I do not trade in devices or chase promos. I'm just not interested enough to battle Apple or my carrier for what I was told I'd get.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Only once I have traded my phone. That was 10 years ago when I bought a Samsung, I traded my Two years old iPhone 4. I got a really good deal as Samsung paid more than I could ever get in a private market. All my other phones I gave to family member when I bought a new one. But when I bought new 15PM, no one was interested in my 12PM so I sold it for around 500 pounds.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Only once I have traded my phone. That was 10 years ago when I bought a Samsung, I traded my Two years old iPhone 4. I got a really good deal as Samsung paid more than I could ever get in a private market. All my other phones I gave to family member when I bought a new one. But when I bought new 15PM, no one was interested in my 12PM so I sold it for around 500 pounds.
I too have only traded a device in once. Wife and I wanted to leave Sprint in 2015, but devices were not paid off so ineligible for unlocking. We were with Sprint then and Sprint unlocking devices had only started seven months prior to our leaving. So I wouldn't have trusted them anyway.

So, my option was to get at least some credit, or keep the phone and pay on it AND a new phone. I traded it in and got the trade in credit to pay off the traded in phone (wife's too). That was a 6 Plus.

In August of this year, I bought a used 6 Plus (unlocked) for $65. Good condition all the way around, just needed a new battery.

And now, it's like I'd never traded in the 6 Plus in 2015. :D

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I keep my older phones as backups or give to family or friends. Having a backup is a nice little insurance policy.

It does seem to be a matter of miscommunication — the person checking the battery was probably just following protocol and the person over the phone made a judgement call that a third party battery wouldn’t be an issue. It does make sense that they would automatically scrutinize a third party battery, so the person on the phone was probably wrong. You could probably pay for an Apple battery install and resubmit if you wanted to. But I would keep the 11PM as a backup.

Sorry you went through the hassle — hope you get it straightened out to your satisfaction.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes. Because it is not Original Equipment.

Apple does not tolerate anything 3rd party, no matter how mainstream it seems to have become.
Um.. yes..
By policy?
yes
by language?
also yes
Mod(ification)s to the battery are mods yes.
OK.

I guess I just see it differently. To me a modification is something that is not standard. If I replace my car battery with one from Walmart or AAA instead of one from the Nissan dealer, that doesn't modify my car. If I put new batteries in my TV remote or smoke detector that are not the same Chinese make as what the manufacturer included, that isn't a modification.

But if I convert the electrical system on my car to something else or alter my remote control/smoke detectors to run on a different type of battery then that's a mod.

I'm not arguing that they should accept third party parts, just the definition of the word 'mod'. It's not a term I've ever heard Apple itself use.

In any case, whatever I think is irrelevant to what Apple does or does not do.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023

This is the reason also that I avoid trade-in with mail. I trade in at the store so I will know exactly what I will get. Sorry to hear your situation. I hope you will get better luck for iPhone 16. Keep calm l, hope for the best in the future and be happy with what you have. 😊 Life is too short to be unhappy. Enjoy every moment you have!

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I always thought that Apple, when receiving a trade-in will replace the screen and the battery before they try to resell it. Anyway, I wonder why the issue.
may reasons. OeM battery can be reused, or at least controller shacked.
Also non oem battery can explode or bubble up breaking everything surrounding when transporting back to china with normal phones.
Last, another gatekeeper to avoid paying people money.

Thus if it is valued as 0, they would dispose it and it would have no chance to hurt other normal phones when shipping.

Reactions: G5isAlive

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
I’ve never heard of anyone getting a good deal on a trade in. I always sell my old iPhone on eBay. Had zero problems and get a lot more money than apple will ever offer.

Incidentally I’m taking my iPhone 15 back tomorrow. It’s just not that good compared to the 13 Pro I had. I’ll get the battery swapped out for that and be done with it.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

A better title for this thread is “Apple reneged on trade-in despite verbal acceptance of unofficial battery”.

That’s really the crux of the issue here, not that you returned your iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.