Returned my iPhone 6 for the 6 plus. And I love it.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steviejobz, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

First off, apologies to my fellow iPhone 6+ owners. I have been a big critic after reading reviews and anecdotes about bending, lag, etc. So I decided to give both models a try. After 5 days of the 6 plus, I can wholeheartedly recommend it over the 6 without hesitation. My old 6 has been returned.

One of my biggest concerns was portability and one-handed use. My fears were overblown. I use my 6 plus one handed all day with success. I have it an Apple silicone case which helps with grip but there is little I cannot do one handed and I am average size person. I go to the gym 6 days a week and keep the phone in my shorts. Yes, I notice it but I also noticed the 6 too. So there was little tradeoff.

I have not experienced the lag many have mentioned in these forums. While Asphalt was the one game where I did see the occasional stutter, it was very infrequent and I cannot say with certainty that the 6 did not have the same. I experience no lag with regular animations, app switching, moving into landscape, etc. If there is a case others would like for me to test please let me know.

I was concerned about bending but after intentionally applying what I think to be more than normal force, nothing happened. Granted I didn't fully flex every muscle to break it, but don't think I need to. I actually had it in my back pocket and forgetfully got into a taxi and sat down. I weight about 170 lbs. I was very nervous when I took it out of pocket but there was not bend whatsoever. Granted I won't try to keep doing that in the future but it's good to know that it didn't fold in half after what I would consider a typical, slightly accidental thing. I mean sitting on a phone just isn't comfortable anyway.

We all know the benefits. The larger screen is great. I find myself no longer carrying my iPad for reading and feel more productive when replying to texts, composing emails, etc. I used to hurry to a laptop to do some tasks I now feel comfortable doing on the larger screen phone. While it cannot replace an iPad for all tasks (mainly due to available apps and the even larger screen), it solves 2/3 of what I used to use my iPad for.

Battery is ridiculously great. Each day when I plug in my phone at night I still have 60%. So the 2 day on one charge spec is true.

tl;dr: if you are on the fence about the 6+ given anything you have read, just buy it. If it's just not for you for other reasons then that's cool too.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Glad you are enjoying it. Have had mine since 9/20 and never a moment's doubt. ;)

3. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I returned my 6 for the Plus and echo all of your thoughts. The 6 was a great phone but I love the 6+. So glad I made the change.

4. af21187 macrumors 6502

And here is the daily "I exchanged my phone and need to tell everyone" post.

5. AppleRobert macrumors 603

There will be even more as soon as the 14 day return period rears its ugly head! :)

I appreciate the feedback, I did it myself and couldn't be happier with the Plus and thank those sharing their experience.

6. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I just don't get it. If you aren't interested in the post why even click on it? Better yet, why comment on it?

A lot of people are trying to decide 6 or 6+. So what if there are multiple threads on it? It annoys you that much? :confused::confused::confused:

7. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

And here is the daily "I need to police every thread" post.

8. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Followed by the obligatory "I ignore thread titles and post in threads I'm not interested in because I have nothing better to do with my time" post.

9. epphllps macrumors 6502

If you used an upgrade to buy a phone and want to return it for the other version do you have to return and wait for your upgrade eligibility to return and then go back to purchase the other phone risking it not even being in stock then??

Apple customer service tells me I have to return and then wait and then repurchase as an upgrade in the store. I've read many comments stating that they just went in and swapped for the the 6 or 6+ after they used an upgrade and either paid the difference or had money returned.

Can anyone who has done this give me the details of the process they experienced?

10. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

here is the daily person who needs to complain about someone exchanging their phone.

11. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I did this today at my local Apple Store:

- I pre-ordered an ATT iPhone 6 64GB (grey) on the 12th, received on the 19th (from Apple.com using ATT Next option).

- Today, my local Apple store finally had some 6+ in stock.

- I exchanged my 6 for a 128GB silver 6+.

- I specifically asked if I could swap if I didn't like the color, size, etc and the rep said I could turn around 5 minutes later and swap it out if I wanted to. "No problem. You have a new 14 days."

- On setting up the new phone, he basically deactivated my plan and took the phone off my account.

-When he tried to add the new phone to my account, his register iPhone device said that I was ineligible for an upgrade. He stated that sometimes the system corrects itself after a few minutes but this wasn't the case for me.

- Apple rep called their ATT rep and instantly got someone on the line, explained that I'm in store and I have the device in hand so ATT could remove the block on my account. The ATT rep specifically asked Apple if I was in the store since a lot of people have been scamming apparently.

- Once the block on my account was removed, my phone was activated. I didn't even have to swap sim cards.

I hope this wasn't too confusing. I'm still getting used to the 6+ size after a week of the smaller one but I do love the screen already. Time will tell if I can actually live with it but if I can't I'll just take it back.

12. epphllps macrumors 6502

Exactly the info I needed. Thanks for the quick response and the detail you included!

13. sjperformance macrumors 6502

Pre-ordered both. Used 6 1 week. Using 6+ since last Thursday. Today I returned the 6. I was scared to even consider using that thing. I love it. Don't see myself going back to anything smaller. Thank you Apple for giving us options.

14. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

It was instant for me on AT&T. I used an upgrade.

----------

Agree. I think we'll those that actually have had both in hand and actually used it in real life situations, will end up with the 6. Touching it in the store for a few minutes doesn't do it justice than actually using the device.

15. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

16. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Had the 6 plus since the 19th and I just love this thing!. My wife started with the 6 plus. She kept it for 5 days then exchanged it for a 6 and kept that for 5 days before switching back to the 6 plus again yesterday. She said she missed the bigger screen for reading and watching movies as well as the battery life. She is super happy now :)

17. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I preordered the 6 Plus and am still waiting on it. In the meantime I've got a 6 that will go to my wife. I've now had two 45 minute hands on sessions with the Plus at an Apple and AT&T store and I've got to say, after finding out that I love the size of the 6 for ease of one handed use and typing with one hand, I love, love, love the screen quality and screen size on the Plus. I can still one hand the Plus, just not as quickly and efficiently as the 6, which is to expected and I accept the trade off.

I can say that either phone is a fine choice and I would honestly be happy if either was the only choice Apple gave us. I use my phone to read things a lot (web, emails, text, books, PDFs, etc) and the Plus is so amazing in that regard. I actually feel like I will do more reading on it than I did on the 5 and now the 6.

18. saberz macrumors regular

It's a user preference. My distaste for the Note 3 came months after use and it became more and more of an issue carrying it around and trying to do things that normally would take one hand.

To each their own, but I would give it a serious test drive (use your carrier return to try it before committing!). Put pocket or any other carrying method to the test and make sure you can truly live with it.

19. insane08 macrumors member

I exchanged my regular 6 for the plus as well last week and I absolutly love it. It's been a beast in terms of battery, camera and performance. I knew i was going to regret if I stayed with the 6 and let my return period pass by so I got it using another line. I admit I was being a negative critic of the plus but it's true it's benefits outweighed its size. I wear a suit all day for work so it fits easily in my pants (as long as nothing else is in my pockets with it) and even more better in my Suit jacket pocket.