Returned RMBP; buying iPad and building desktop.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GD0X, Jun 22, 2012.

1. GD0X Guest

soooo, at 4 today, I returned my base model retina MacBook Pro. It was a pleasure admiring, namely the speed and design (physical body), but I couldn't stand paying the premium for such device.
    Don't get me wrong, I had more than just this one reason for returning, but I figured I could do with something else for cheaper, in the long run saving some money.

Anyways, I decided upon an iPad 3 and then building myself a desktop. I'll be bringing both to college... finance major.
    First question, what size iPad should I go for? I think I could get away with 16gb but I know I would be pushing that sooner or later, or going 32gb and then having a few gb which I know I wont use...

Then, building a desktop. I'm experienced in this, but I'm reconsidering what type of hardware I "need." My uses... typical internet/office programs and then programming, visual (maya/possibly cad), and then a few games, namely starcraft 2.

I know what I want in terms of motherboard, power supply, case, ram, hdd/ssd, and extra. But I need helping choosing a cpu/video card. I stick to intel, so theres that, and I have a budget on 350 for both (combined).... Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. scarred macrumors 6502a

The problem with building a desktop is you do not get OS X, unless you go hackintosh.

3. GD0X thread starter Guest

I'll be fine with Windows 7.

4. anth macrumors member

Just get a cheaper Macbook Pro. That iPad isn't going to a be a lot of fun to write a paper on in the library. Or when you're sexiled by your new roommate. Or when you meet some equally awkward but cute girl, and end up effectively staying in her room for the whole spring semester.

Source: life.

5. deblewis macrumors member

checkout http://www.tomshardware.com/ for everything you want to know about PC components. I believe they even have sample builds for varies price ranges..

6. alvindarkness, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

alvindarkness macrumors 6502

Might be worth your while to at least choose components that will work on either. Like say a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, Ivy Bridge CPU, something from the nVidia GTX6xx range (which all now work natively on Mountain Lion DP4 etc). Leave your options open in the future. It'll give you a great windows pc, and a very modern OSX machine (with natively working USB3 and so forth).

My desktop has run nothing but OSX as a hack as the primary OS since 10.4.3. I really havent looked back. (even though I do also own a real MBP and a bunch of apple ios stuff). Only boot into windows for the odd game that isnt out on OSX.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

And you couldn't figure out that it was too expensive for you before you bought it? And the whole world needs to be told? :mad:

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

He said he is a finance major. He won't actually be able to make sound financial decisions until he graduates.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

And people wonder why companies institute restocking fees. RMBP are in very short demand and now one has been taken off the market.