Returned the 13" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aspen, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Aspen macrumors member

I am writing this in the hope that Apple reads this as well as posts by others. I do know that other companies read forums such as CNET, etc.

The screen on the 13" rMBP is mind boggling beautiful. Everything about the computer is fantastic except the scrolling lag that others have noted here. There was no issue with speed from tab to tab, open sites, continuous streaming etc., it was just the scrolling lag on several websites that I must use.

My two year old 13" MBP runs everything fine. I presume that the retina issue is due to the integrated graphics.

Sadly, I mailed the rMBP back to Apple today.

2. CausticPuppy, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012

CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

No scroll lag on mine. Scrolling is smoother than on my 2009 macbook pro.

What browser did you use?

Contrary to the common opinion, it actually has very little to do with the GPU, and a lot more to do with single-threaded CPU performance. The 15" version has a higher maximum clock speed (turbo boost) and so it performs a bit better for UI tasks. Read Anand's analysis:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6409/13inch-retina-macbook-pro-review/5

That said, chrome is WAY worse than Safari on retina macs. Safari has much better optimizations for the retina screen.

3. Aspen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that CP. I used Safari. Unfortunately Chrome doesn't work (requires Microsoft Silverlight). Firefox would work but the words are too fuzzy until it's updated.

I wonder why my older cMBP wouldn't have lag? I was thinking that the 2.3 i5 and the retina's 2.5 i5 were both dual core. Maybe the single threading is different?

The lag was very noticeable but only on certain websites. I suspect that 99.99999% of users don't frequent some of the sites required and wouldn't see it. Boy I hated to send it back; just spectacular to look at.

I'd sure like to give it another try in 6 months or so.

4. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

^^^^

What's a web site that shows the lag? I'm one of the people that's never observed a lag problem -- even before Apple started patching ML. I'd love to see the lag problem I've heard so much about at last.

5. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I've just got a replacement 15" rMBP and guess what? UI was somewhat laggy and definitely as smooth as my previous machine (which had Mountain Lion installed by myself) especially under load, even though it came with 10.8.2 onboard.

I did a clean install and voila! it's fast and smooth as before.
    I don't know what was it, but I'm always on Intel HD when doing basic stuff. I'm pretty sure this card is capable of lag-free performance.

If you're interested, you can give me a list of sites you had a bad scrolling on, and I'll test them on a properly installed "clean Mountain Lion" that I'm running now. On a HD 4000 of course.

6. Aspen thread starter macrumors member

These are public, well known, but work related sites related to stock trading that all require user logins. After the log in is where I see the issue. I use a desktop 5 monitor setup normally but use the laptop when I'm traveling for basic work.

Thus, I can't let you see the specific websites since one has to be logged in to see them.

Also ran up against a lot of issues with Microsoft Silverlight on Safari that after speaking with Microsoft and Apple, was able to resolve by reinstalling OSX. Still can't tell you why that solved the problem but it was solvable after about 6 hours of research, phone calls, etc.

No issues whatsoever with my cMBP.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but your older 13" MBP also has integrated graphics. The HD4000 in the rMBP is, by a large margin, faster than what you've got in your cMBP.

From everything I've read, the lag issues on the rMBP are software related.

8. mac jones, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

No lag here.

These are good laptops, but only under one condition IMHO:

You pay no more than $1500 for the base model. For this, they are worth it, and this price is not that hard to find on EBAY. I got one for this.

Apple needs to bump off $100....like yesterday.

Of course, if you really need the configuration, than the $1700 price is fine.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My Mac Pro lags when I scroll through some of those sites. I don't think it's a rMBP issue.

10. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

you are forgetting that the 4000 is running a resolution much higher than the previous gen. = worse performance

11. ssn637 macrumors 6502

The 13" rMBP will be a killer machine...next year. I'll be first in line when the Haswell model is released. We may even be able to hope for IZGO displays next season. Imagine a Haswell - Retina IZGO display - 13" form factor! My 15" rMBP arrives tomorrow, and if I receive an LG display or find during my return period that it's too large for everyday use I plan on waiting until the next 13" rMBP refresh. Hopefully the outrageous price will come down a bit as well.

12. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Sure it will be... NOT. Same story each year: "Ooohh, just wait until next year cause it's gonna be awesome, this year sucks! [... next year comes ...] THIS IS A RIPOFF!!! WHAT WAS APPLE THINKING ?! [... 1-2 months later ...] Wait for next year cause it's gonna be awesome, this year sucks! [...] :rolleyes:

Keep on dreaming, we'll most likely be around to read your complains / whining next year too. ;)
    ... the entertainment never ends. Thank you for that! :cool:

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No i was just pointing out that the HD4000 is 40-60% faster than the HD3000 and the nvidia 320m(which is funny because the HD3000 was supposed to be an upgrade from the 320m, but they were roughly the same performance).

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Returned mine also.

Nice machine, shame about the price and the lack of ethernet (required in my work world).

15. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I get scrolling lag on Chrome on espn with my 15 rMBP

16. Enkidu24 macrumors newbie

What about the heat in the Retina Macbook Pro 13"?

17. Aspen thread starter macrumors member

Enkidu-I had no heat issues with the rMBP at all. It was simply the scroll lag on a handful of websites that are needed that was the issue.

18. Lucas Godfrey macrumors 6502

Lucas Godfrey

320m (or was it 330m?) was faster than the HD3000.
    and yes the HD4000 is about 50% faster than the HD3000 but it would need to be ~200% faster to run a res thats 4 times as large.

19. mac jones, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

A mistake

The Mac mini's now all use the 4000. They are designed to run multiple monitors at this resolution.

I can understand how a very small handful of people may have an issue, but the problem is that the rest of us read a post like this and begin to worry.

Also, I own one of these and notice nothing. Perhaps yours has a problem?

I'm prone to believing that if there was any kind of issue, however small, I would notice a subtle change in performance. I notice nothing like that.

20. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Both of which could only be known once you made the purchase.

21. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Your point?

Sarcasm doesn't become you.

:rolleyes:

22. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

No point, no sarcasm. Just an observation.

I will be sure to add rolleyes if I am going to be sarcastic, should be easily recognizable to you.

23. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Why bother making it? Unless, of course, you couldn't quite believe I'd buy a rMBP just to try out . . .

24. Ccrew macrumors 68020

That's what the $20 thunderbolt to GigE adapter is for.

25. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

extra things to carry?

umm, hmmm -- when i think portability i think less to carry around, when everything is built in, that is really sweet, when you have to now pay to carry around extra dongles and ***** i dunno mang... i love the innovative and zen concept of the retina line of macbooks, but you can't be telling people who need built in I/Os that they should get something extra to carry around to use that feature.

so some people still use legacy this or that and still really love the current or classic macbooks, its their right, all you retina line lovers seem to get all worked up and feel so defensive about a technology and innovation that isn't even all its cut out to be. so easily sold on anything that apple pushes out, sheesh.