Returned the bumpers, mixed feelings.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JuanGuapo, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

My wife and I decided to cancel our iPhone 4 orders after hearing about the reception issues and now the lawsuit, so we took them back to the Apple store in Cerritos, CA. The store wasn't full but the store must be new b/c they couldn't figure out how to handle the return. We were asked four separate times what we were returning, and why--I'm guessing they thought it was two iPhones since they were in brown shipping boxes, still sealed.

They took it back without a problem but not without being asked _four separate times_ why we were not getting the iPhone. While one guy was arranging the return, this other one kept asking and started to state the "all phones have reception issues...you need a case to get good reception." I showed my cheapie $30 Nokia and said, "this phone is on AT&T and doesn't drop calls....thanks anyway."

I'm not very impressed with how this iPhone thing has been handled, my wife's 3G is working fine so I think we'll be holding off on this iPhone 4. Not impressed at all. :(

2. Luminyx macrumors member

I'm sorry but what does this have to do with bumpers?

3. Hawklight macrumors member

4. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

more importantly did you have to pay a restocking fee?

5. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

6. JuanGuapo thread starter macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Sorry, I thought the point was obvious... I returned the bumpers, had mixed feelings when I returned it b/c of how they acted in the store when returning them.

As far as it being out a week, it should be flawless on day 1. I don't get why people put up with it but what do I know.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I think he returned the bumpers he ordered since he cancelled his iPhone order. IOW, he never had his iPhone 4 just the bumpers.

8. big0mar macrumors regular

9. Hawklight macrumors member

You're right it should have been flawless on day 1 but sh** happens. I don't think giving them a couple weeks to sort the problem and come up with a solution is too much to ask for a phone. Don't get me wrong, I think anyone who is dissatisfied should have the right to return the phone but you have to give them some kind of reasonable time frame to work out the issue.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The phone should have worked correctly from day one.

Lets say a reasonable amount of time is a month and a half. If I can be guaranteed that I can return this phone after a month and a half AND eliminate the contract extension, then I'd be content to be patient.

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

12. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

At first I thought you were returning the phones and then couldn't make sense of what you were saying. Then I realized that you are actually saying that you were returning the bumpers (aka bummers because they only partially resolve the issue).

My issues with reception have been diabolical, had a 3G since launch and none of these issues happened. I'm holding onto the phone (literally!), but it is a pain holding it differently and I already very nearly dropped it as a result. Couldn't be happier with everything else about it, indeed blown away.

13. Hawklight macrumors member

See Below

14. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Sweet story! This means I'm two phones closer to getting mine in the mail!

15. JuanGuapo thread starter macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Oh totally agree, however, it's not like they've gone out of their way to tell everyone "hey, we know about it....we're fixing it." All I got was the company line and talked to like I was an idiot or had never used a cell phone before. Moreover, you'd think a $200-$300 cell phone would do this one thing at least as good (arguably better) than all others. That's all I was saying. The store acted like I was from the moon, "Why are you returning these?" "Oh, you shouldn't cancel your order....all phones have reception issues....we're looking into some challenges...etc." I'm sorry, but shouldn't you have done this before you started selling them? (sorry, rhetorical question)

As an anecdote, my friend got one and is having the reception issues. He is waiting until next Monday for a fix and returning it if no fix is available.

16. carrotcloud macrumors member

and next week you will say it's been out for a fortnight? who cares, if apple acknowledged it there wouldn't have been so much fuss..

17. Hawklight macrumors member

Just shows how spoiled our society has become that this has snowballed into such a huge issue in under a week. I agree Apple should have responded better and still need to however until they refuse returns on the phone or offer no resolution in a reasonable amount of time (2 weeks sounds reasonable to me), I personally don't see the point in getting bent out of shape over it. Just my opinion though.

18. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Many Many people are NOT having issues, me included. Having not opened yours is totally your decision of course! But, I must say, buying 2 of them, and basing the return on what amounts to < 1% of the total iphone 4 purchasing community could be a little premature.

Again, your call of course! This issue really is just not that huge, no matter what people say. I will say this as well, Apple customers are some of the BIGGEST complainers out there. It really is sickening sometimes. In no way am I implying the OP is one of them.

19. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

So basically OP is returning cases for phones he never got. Cancelled his phone order without really seeing if he had reception problems himself. Just reacting to what others are posting or what the media is reporting. In the meantime I'd give anything to buy an iPhone 4, but can't find one to buy anywhere. Go figure.

20. big0mar macrumors regular

Will you return your Nokia phone when it displays pixelated text?

21. Built macrumors 68020

I would have to agree...the mass hysteria, especially on this board, is astounding. There are issues with consumer products each day...and, truth be told, there is NO perfect cell phone. If the OP is going to base his decisions solely on some VERY mixed messages on this forum...returning items he hasn't even given a chance, maybe the i4 is not for him.

Some people are just too tightly-wound, IMHO.

If only people would give Apple an opportunity to fix this situation before they begin jumping off bridges...

[​IMG]

22. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Not that the members here are representative of the total amount of iPhone owners in the world but the poll here indicated it was almost 50% of users who had the issues. Also the issue is happening worldwide. Your number of less than 1% is way off base.

23. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I agree with other posts here. I would NEVER return the iPhones sight unseen and without giving them atleast a few weeks of usage to see if there are any issues. Even though I can get my iPhone 4 to drop 1 or 2 bars sometimes, there is no way in hell Im returning it and using anything other than an iPhone. Worst case if Apple releases no info or announcement and there is not a fix by day 29 then I'll think about returning it and using my first gen iPhone. But after using the iPhone 4, nothing else compares.

24. jameskk macrumors regular

Does anyone remember when the iPhone 3G was released, it had similar problems staying connected to 3G networks. It took Apple about a month to release a software update, if I recall. That phone went down in history as one of the greatest phones ever. I suspect the i4 will follow a similar path.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

See my above comment about returning the phone.