Returned the ipad 2 and got a...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freeman727, May 17, 2011.

1. freeman727 macrumors 6502

I returned my iPad 2 at the Apple Store on Saturday and got a Samsung Galaxy Tab for $218 shipped. After flashing to Gingerbread, Im loving it. It is ultra reponsive and sized just right. I really think Apple should.make a 7 or 8 inch iPad. Most of the major apps are now on the Android platform ,but I do miss some apps such as Garageband but for a few hundred dollars difference i can live without it. Now if Apple would hurry up and release an updated MBA!

2. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

3. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

They had a special one day sale from att.com. The item is refurbished but I couldn't tell based on the packaging and condition of the device. Trust me, if it weren't such a huge price difference I would have stuck with the iPad.

BTW, I am pleasantly pleased with the Android OS. This is my first foray into the Android world. The voice search and messaging is neat. I do believe that iOS 5 will address some of the shortcomings iOS has compared with Android OS.

4. Meanee macrumors 6502a

As much as I love Android, and that was a killer price, I believe Froyo/GB is a very poor fit for a tablet. But hey, whatever you think you will enjoy.

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wow, for that price I would have done the same thing.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Galaxy Tab is solid hardware. I liked the one my parents were trying out. Software was another story. Within the first 30 minutes of me using it, it crashed 3 times and required a full reboot. One crash was simply from opening up the Kindle app, one was while I was browsing for apps, and I don't remember the third one.

2 weeks later I got my iPad 2 (I had spent about 10 total minutes in the past using an iPad 1 and never owned one--only tried other peoples' and never tried an iPad 2 in the store before buying one) and I was completely blown away by how much smoother and more user friendly it was.

The first time I simply unlocked the time/date screen to get to the home screen for my dad, he said "wow". Then I showed him iBooks, GarageBand, and some other apps. He had serious tablet envy.

Unfortunately, they need a 3G tablet, and AT&T and Verizon are useless where they live, so no iPad for them. But the Galaxy Tab is the only other tablet I would ever want to buy based on the reviews I've read. I like Samsung stuff.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why would that be a "wow"? Doesn't Android have a lockscreen?

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Could be "WOW, my app drawer opened automatically! Magic!" :D

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Honestly, I'm not sure why that wowed him. I think he liked how smoothly it transitioned from the lock screen to the home screen.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

The first thing i did was update to Gingerbread. No crashes in the past 24 hrs using Evernote and ppt files from Dropbox. The OS is super smooth in my opinion. I think people who have never tried the Android platform should give it a try. That being said im still sticking with iOS for phones. Its better to go with what works well rather than just being a pure brand loyalist.

The only thing I miss so far is a desktop client like iTunes and Garageband.

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Great price OP. I am not in the US, otherwise I would pick one up and give it a try too.

13. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Can't argue with that price OP - I'd be tempted to do the same thing. That said, the one thing that keeps me with both iPhone and iPad is the fact that my iMac + iTunes is the digital hub for all of my media. I don't need to worry about 1 syncing process for phone, and another for tablet.

For someone who has never used android, care to share your experiences with managing media on two completely different devices?

14. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just got the device yesterday so I haven't had much time to tinker with the device besides installing Gingerbread and sideloading the Amazon Appstore. I don't think I will install mp3 or movies on the device. Netflix may be coming out soon for the Galaxy Tab, which is good enough for me.

I heard that iTuneMyWalkman can be used as a media client for Mac users.

15. Born Again macrumors regular

16. kellyhunt, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

kellyhunt macrumors newbie

Wow you are lucky that you got a Samsung Galaxy Tab for $218 shipped.enjoyed it.

17. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's a great price. However, i love the 10 inch screen, i think it's perfect. Also, there is one app that android doesn't have that i use on a daily basis, and that is the optimum app, which lets me watch live cable tv on my ipad for free. It's not yet available for android. In addition to that, there is no netflix app for android, wtf??? They released one 5 days ago but it only works on select android phones and no tablets. Another reason would have been coursesmart, my e-textbook app. However it was finally released for android last month. I'm sticking with my beloved ipad. Oh and i forgot to mention, this summer the optimum app is getting remote control functionality, so my ipad will be my new remote control! I'm sure the android tablets will catch up, but for now the ipad serves my needs in a way that a galaxy tab wouldn't be able to do. I also doubt the galaxy tab would play nice with my apple tv.

18. Janet1 macrumors member

It is a little strange the android doesn't have an app for Netflix. Both my Vizio TV and Sony Blu-Ray player have built-in apps, and both of those include Netflix.

So most likely, Netflix will soon be available for the Galaxy Tab as well.

What internet service does the Galaxy use?

19. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

The Galaxy Tab is available on all 4 national carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile). They just started selling wifi-only versions about a month ago

I bought one used (T-mobile) about 2 months ago for $275. While a 10" screen might be nicer for extended web browsing, there are definite advantages to a 7" screen.
    - I can hold the device with one hand quite easily
    - Very mobile... it fits in my pants pockets
    - The 1024x600 resolution makes it sharper than both the iPad 1 and 2

I use my device primarily as an e-reader, but it has all of the codecs built in to Galaxy devices so it can play just about any type of video you throw at it (divx, Xvid, mkv, mpg, etc) without having to convert it or import it.

It has front facing and rear facing cameras, so it is probably a better overall choice than the original iPad.

Unfortunately, the US versions of the Tab are the only ones that don't let you use them as a phone.

20. Janet1 macrumors member

Sounds like a pretty good deal. A shame you can't use it as a phone in the US, because that would eliminate the need to carry a 2nd device (cell phone).

Enjoy!

21. mack pro macrumors member

Why would you want such a big phone? you'd look quite silly using it in public.

22. miabadboys macrumors member

miabadboys

I say WOW every time i open my ipad2 - the screen is so sweet looking :)

Enjoy the Galaxy is a nice tablet

23. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

You can hack it very easily to allow to cell phone use. It would work well if connected to a bluetooth headset.

I'm on my 3rd day of using it and not missing the ipad...too much. I'm sure I'll be back in the fold when the ipad 3 comes out.

24. freeman727 thread starter macrumors 6502

It ends up I'm getting an extra one for $200, but I'm giving to my wife.Sorry. After flashing to stock Gingerbread I could not get 3G up. It ends up after talking to AT&T engineering (useless) I found on a forum that you can set APN to Broadband which fixes wireless broadband. Anyhow prior to that I set up an exchange. They said that if I don't send back the original GT that they would charge me the $199.99 + tax. Well then, I liked the GT so much I'll keep one for me and one for my wife. I've been an Apple dude for the past 4 years but could not pass on such a good deal. Surprisingly I like the Android OS! I think I'm going to have to cancel my order for the iPad2. The only thing I'll miss is Garageband which is an awesome program. I'll just have to wait for the iPad3.

BTW, did you guys see Macrumors.com front page? Explosion at iPad assembly facility. I'm curious if this is going affect iPad production.

25. Fall3n13 macrumors newbie

I'm in the navy and on base we have our navy exchange where we get things a bit cheaper and tax free. They haven't gotten the iPad2 in yet but they have a 32gb iPad for $489 so I picked one up yesterday.

They also had a wifi galaxy tab for $350. I'm kinda stuck wether or not I should return this one for the tab.all I need it for is basic web browsing, occasional games and things. I already have a 64 4th gen iPod touch.

Do you think I should give the tab a try?

Oh sorry for thread stealing.