Returning 6..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snsking, Nov 1, 2014.

1. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

A few days after having the 6, I've decided that I'm going to be returning it for a 6+.

My question is, does anyone know how long the AT&T Eligibility reset takes? Im assuming it'll take as long as the refund does which is a few days, right?

2. iceperson macrumors 6502

It takes minutes.

3. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Really? I asked the Apple salesman that if I possibly changed my mind, how long would it be before I can exchange? He said, "full refund if returned within 2 weeks -- AT&T rest takes about 3 days."

Hopefully I can return tomorrow and repurchase the 6+ on the spot then

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

For some people it took a week or more. You might have to call AT&T and go through that annoying process if it doesn't reset after 3 or so days.

5. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Honestly I might just wait and not even worry about it. It'd just be nice to have it swapped out right then and there tomorrow. I'll wait another 2 weeks if I have to

6. rossiskiracer91 macrumors member

When I swapped mine they called AT&T so it didn't even take 5 minutes to change. Very easy switch.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It may take less than a minute up to 72 hours. However be prepared to take the risk. But make sure you check your account after they process the return to see if you got the eligibility back (that's what I did on my first return). If not, you can contact AT&T on the spot.

I had a bad experience after the 2nd return, I didn't get my eligibility back and it took me 14 days to get it resolved. Of course Apple had to fix it and not AT&T since I purchased at Apple. But I had to go back and forth and Apple told me that they needed to contact a higher rep who bridges AT&T and Apple.

8. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

What's the process like? I walk in, tell them I want to return my 6 for the full refund. Tell them to call AT&T and them charge me for the 6+?

I don't know why the rep told me it'd take 3 days

9. iceperson macrumors 6502

^^

I bought my wife a 6+ on contract from Apple. After a few days she decided it was too big so we took it back to the Apple store. They had a 6 in stock and we were able to return the 6+, waited a few minutes for her eligibility to reset, and then bought the 6 using AT&T next.

10. dannyTO macrumors regular

dannyTO

Good choice

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I swapped my plus for a regular 6 at the Apple Store in minutes. Also on AT&T

12. rossiskiracer91 macrumors member

I just told them I wanted to exchange my 6+ for a 6 and that's what they did. Upon trying to activate the 6 my eligibility didn't reset so he called AT&T, gave his rep number and told them what he needed done. It was a very quick process.

13. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Yeah I did the same thing. I reserved a 6 online for in store pick up, picked up and left.

Is that a manual process that Apple has to process? Or upon return, do I have to just wait around until I think it's reset and then talk to a representative?

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes you walk in talk to one of the rep who holds an ipad mini that you want to return and get a 6 + instead. He/she will check the availability and once it's available will put a reservation pass (I think they still do it). Apple sales rep will then come when it's your turn, they will process the return, and bring out the 6 Plus.

You can check your AT&T account and check to see that your eligibility has been reset. If not, have them contact AT&T.

15. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Okay perfect. In the case that a rep tells "you have to wait a certain time sir", I should just tell them to contact AT&T and to give them their sales rep number for confirmation?

16. cababah macrumors 68000

When I swapped my 6 for my 6+, the eligibility was almost immediately renewed.

17. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Thanks, Im going in with the expectation of it getting done tomorrow then. My local apple has been getting great amounts of the 6+ these past few days.. So I'm going to take a chance and stroll in at like 9 AM tomorrow

----------

Does anyone know if they process a refund for the original transaction and then charge me for the new device? Or is it a straight refund?

18. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes they will process as a refund, refund you the money and then charge you for the new device. They had to do that on mine when I was on Next. They had to put the refund into the gift card as it can take a couple of days for the money to get back so I supposed that's what the rep did on mine. You could ask to be put on a gift card and pay the difference. Considering that you would be returning the 6 and getting the 6 Plus.

However it is different if it was purchased outright as they don't need to process a refund and just do the exchange.

19. snsking, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

I got it on a two year contract. I got the 128GB 6, cost 426 after tax. Ill be getting the 64GB 6+, it will be the same exact price. So they'll process a refund on the card, and charge me on the spot for the new one?

I re read what you said, and yeah I think they'll just do that. Hopefully they have in stock tomorrow

20. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Was the 6 too small for you?

21. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Yeah it was. I originally wanted the 6+, but after the whole bend gate issue I kind of backed off.

But now that I've had the 6 for 3 days, I realize I want the +. So I'm going to be exchanging it tomorrow hopefully.

----------

I also have semi big hands, so when I played with the + in store it felt borderline perfect to me.

That whole bend gate issue kind of scared me off into a 6 though. Im a solid believer that Apple may have silently fixed the issue though.

Either way, bend gate risk or not, I want the 6+. And ill be getting the Apple Care extended warranty as well

22. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

What convinced you it has been fixed? I did read some blogs, but thought it was still being carried through by Apple and it would take a little bit more time to redesign the weak spot. This is why I haven't made the purchase. I actually want a 6. I initially wanted a 6+, but it's not portable for me.

23. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Um...Apples has not have silently fixed the issue. I've read some blogs about it as well but nobody has confirmed about it yet. There is no truth about it.

Taken from BGR:

Just and FYI even the iphone 6 4.7" can bend as well (I've seen someone at the Apple store with a bent 6).

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I've seen, resetting your eligibility can take minutes, hours and even longer

25. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Usually it will just take a couple of minutes. USUALLY.. But like others have said it could take longer.