Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Did it reset your upgrade eligibility with your carrier?

it was a new line so there was no upgrade to be reclaimed, it had a message pop up on their screen that my new line of service would be cancelled though. i assume for an upgrade you would just retain your upgrade eligibilty but i doubt it would happen immediately

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
FWIW, some stores may make an exception to the policy, but it really is posted Apple policy that iPhones ordered through apple.com can't be returned at the store.

The screen shot below is from http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

"Note: An iPhone purchased on the Apple Online Store is ineligible for return to an Apple Retail Store."

Also, so that nobody's confused, the Apple Store will repair/replace defective iPhones at the Genius Bar, no matter where you originally bought it. You just can't return them for a refund, or switch to a different color/size at the Genius Bar.

So then what's the process of getting a new phone then? Wait for a new one to be delivered after ordering online again?

Is it okay if I've used it for a few days and return it? Is there a cost with this?

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I've taken back iPads to the apple store after buying them online. But I always buy without a contract.

I'm returning my 16gb for a 32 in a week or so when new stock arrives.

FYI, mine rattles - think its the camera lens. Had it on both my previous iPhones too

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah I've held the lock button, side silent button, and the volume buttons and it rattles...

Will the store accept the return or do I have to deal with the online apple store?

The Apple Store will take accept the return. They should be able to swap it out for a new one. They swapped my scuffed one for a brand new one. I dunno if they'd be able to give you a 16GB iPhone 5 and credit you for the difference though, that's a whole 'nother issue.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
My lock button has a slight rattle but who cares. Are you guys shaking you phones while in the closet with it set to 100% brightness?

I called apple and had my account noted in case I had issues with the black anodizing. They told me I could either go to the store to exchange if needed or have the exchange until mailed.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So then what's the process of getting a new phone then? Wait for a new one to be delivered after ordering online again?

Is it okay if I've used it for a few days and return it? Is there a cost with this?
According to the online store's return page, you have 30 days to return the iPhone (14 days for other products), and they cover the cost of shipping it back.

I'm not sure how soon you can re-order a new phone (either through them, or somewhere else). I think they (Apple) have to reset your eligibility for the upgrade price with your carrier, and I don't know (but guess) that they wait until they've received your phone before they do that.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Yes Apple supports their Apple products. Just take it to the store.

Yeah I've held the lock button, side silent button, and the volume buttons and it rattles...

Will the store accept the return or do I have to deal with the online apple store?

joeybuckets

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2008
ZANESVILLE,OHIO
Hey i have the 32gb, want a 64gb.... apple is gonna email me a prepaid label to send it back to them. My question is how do i turn my 4S back on until im able to order and recieved the new 64gb???? I have AT&T.. i'm guessing SIM has to be reactivate.

BuckeyeMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
So I returned it to the Apple store tonight (preordered at Apple.com). I have a receipt showing the funds put back onto my CC.

Does anyone know about how long it will take to have my upgrade eligibility put back onto my account?

Thanks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.