Returning iPad #3 - am I just unlucky?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by graphpaper, Jul 5, 2012.

1. graphpaper macrumors newbie

I decided to buy a "new" iPad - the first one I got had this weird yellow tint over about half of it, and no viewing angle was comfortable. I tried the "leave it on for a couple days with full brightness and a white image" trick but that didn't fix it. So I exchanged it for another one. Similar problem - yellow discoloration over only part of the screen, tried the same fix, didn't work. That one also had a greenish tint to a lesser extent on only one part of the screen. So I exchanged again, hoping for one that looked like the one on display (I bought it at Best Buy, if that means anything). This one is a lot better. I almost decided to keep it but then I realized whenever I was using it I was just gaging whether or not I could live with the slight yellow tint in the corner, and the uneven backlighting (the right 3/4 of the screen in portrait mode has very good looking, clean whites, but the left 1/4 is noticeably darker. it's distracting when reading things on white background and looks wrong) instead of actually enjoying the thing!

Now, don't get me wrong, games look great on it and when I'm playing a game I don't notice any of the discoloration or uneven lighting. But as soon as I visit Wikipedia or Reddit or any other light-colored-background website, the defects become very clear.

So I've decided to just get my money back this time instead of another exchange. My question now is, do you guys really all have 3rd generation iPads with NO screen defects, or do you settle for a decent one and try not to let it bother you? I want to believe there are screens out there with the same evenness of color as the iPad 2s that my parents have, but it seems like minor defects are the standard with the "new" iPad.

I'm aware that the new iPads have warmer screen, and I would be perfectly fine with that if I could get one of even warmth, but so far my experience has been uneven coloration.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yup I have an iPad 3 and a refurbed iPad 2 both with great looking screens. :)

3. rkahl macrumors 65816

Sad when someone creates a new profile just for this.

4. lotus ipad macrumors newbie

lotus ipad

No problems

I pre-ordered my new iPad with 4G and 64 gb, and have loved it. I have not noticed any problems with it. Can you provide us pictures of the problem you are having? I don't understand how a simple cosmetic problem can bother so many people. :confused: Nothing is perfect.

5. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Mine had a slight yellow tint, but instead of raging and returning immediately, i researched the problem a bit and found a great solution. The jailbreak tweak called Springtomize can change your screen tint. I just adjusted it slightly to counter the yellow, and now it's white as snow. It's under the animations category, I have the red adjusted to about 9/10 and the blue at about 19/20. Depending on your tint amount, you may need to switch it around a bit more.

6. graphpaper thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't understand what you mean.

----------

I'm not raging, and I did research the problem and did try a solution that seemed to work for others. Anyway, my problems were all with uneven tint and and uneven backlighting. Only part of the screen had the yellow tint. Changing the tint of the whole screen would have done me no good. And I am happy you have found something that works but I think I shouldn't have to jailbreak my device to make it look correct.

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

We Don’t Believe You, You Need More People

8. Iwolf macrumors newbie

Iwolf

My screen is just fine thought I might just be overlooking it but after this thread tried to find a issue even had my girlfriend look and all is good:confused:

9. graphpaper thread starter macrumors newbie

What motivation would I have to lie?

I think you guys respond so negatively to posts like this because your iPads have the same problems mine did, only you convinced yourselves that you don't notice and that it's normal. So when you see someone like me not putting up with it, the only way you can feel good about your purchase again is to tell yourself I'm lying, or I'm too picky, or not everything is perfect so I should put up with a sub par product.

10. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Many are perfect,if you don't what others opinions don't post a worthless thread.

11. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

Not perfect, but: A screen should indeed be good enough...

The "nothing is perfect" attitude (or at least statement) is completely off the point here. An iPad screen (THE vital part of the device) should or must of course be without such defects as so many buyers have reported about.

12. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

But, most of those people who reported issues with their screens did not get their iPad replaced 3 times. That's not luck or sub-par devices.. That's OCD.

13. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

The power of handing out a psychiatric diagnosis...

Even if there only is some grains of truths in the reports of issues about the iPad 3 screens, then the unsatisfied buyers are clearly NOT suffering from an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, when complaining about the lack of quality and returning the iPads. Also this kind of "arguments" are completely off the point, and worse: Giving such a diagnosis is so rude, impolite and also - if at all to be taken seriously - so medically not-founded, that the many people (fanboys?) who do it, should stop doing so, in all decency.

And such behavior doesn't make the screens better, to be sure. The real problem is perhaps that Apple has lowered its standards or that the production teams just have not been able to cope adequately with the enormous demand in the time period?

14. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I'm sorry that you weren't able to get an ipad with a screen that satisfies your expectations.

And no.. there is nothing "sub par" about my ipad, why would anybody buy a such a costly device & keep it if it was defective?

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple presents itself as maker of premium products. Then they hype them as magical, setting unrealistic expectations. Further exacerbating the problem is now they've morphed into a huge mass market retailer. Shipping such a high volume of product that they can't possibly live up to expectations in every case.

So, what to do? Find the best one you can understanding that you'll likely not find one that's perfect. It's just how it is. I've enjoyed years of excellent Apple laptops. Yet in recent years the new ones I buy have shown a decline in quality. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Also you've got to take into consideration that Apple has a cult like following, therefore they've got legions of worshippers that will attack anyone that fails to praise Apple no matter what.

Take my experience & feedback into consideration. I'm a very big Apple enthusiast, yet I'm not afraid to be honest.

Good luck with your decisions.

16. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Unfortunately, I had a very similar experience to yours when I decided to buy an iPad3. One difference is that I decided to stick with the third iPad that I had received as a replacement.

If you are interested, read my story here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1380224&page=2#28

I also think that the Quality Control of Apple is not good at all (regarding the new iPads, I am not sure how it is currently in relation to new MBPs or iPhones). The Apple Care employees seem to be aware of the situation and very easily exchange the iPads of those who are not happy with their purchase. I only can hope that the QC will become better in the months/years to come...

Now, we just have to live with high expectations created by incredible Apple keynotes and Apple products that aren't really that perfect. So, try to live with it or opt for another brand (which will also have products with many many "imperfections"). Sadly enough, we still live in an imperfect world and there is still a very long way to go to achieve perfection, which in practice cannot be done.

17. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

lol that doesnt make sense.

apple had sold 3 million ipads just within the first month, they havent released any numbers since then, but its prolly about 7 million or more new ipads sold.. thats a lot of ipads for a lot of people to not notice this giant flaw in the screens.... :rolleyes:

I'm not saying your ipads haven't had problems, i'm sure there is plenty of people who had defects, but to think people are not noticing this, or just not saying anything about it is just ignorant and illogical.

18. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I read that the early releases had problems with the screen, such as discolouration, but I thought that was resolved after like, the first month or so, and new ones have been perfect? Mine's fine. So is my mum's.

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

mine was built in week one, and i got it on launch day.. perfect screen.

20. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

Pay no attention to apple bullies because that is all they are.

I have exchanged many iPads for the reason you stated, they all had different tints and it's a FACT! Do not settle for just anything because apple can do no wrong, this is an issue with the new iPad and keep searching. I have finally found an iPad with a white screen and no tints!

21. Beltane63 macrumors newbie

+1

22. erasr macrumors 6502

My first one had a noticeable scratch on the back, so I sent it back.

This isn't the first time I've sent Apple stuff back for defects. In fact it's getting more common I think. In my opinion, their old standards have definitely slipped.

23. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Yes, we are all bullies, because some of us actually did get a perfect ipad from launch day. As a matter of fact, I got two, both on launch. Both with perfect screens. And that is a FACT!

24. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

Well isn't that great, good for you but not everyone has! So unless you know what a bad screen is your comments are useless.

25. VFC, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

I wanted to buy an iPad the first week it was released. I held off after i read all the reports of yellow/green/pint tint and uneven color/lighting on multiple forums (including Apple's support web site). Many people posted pictures of obviously bad screens. I don't recall any of the people who claim to have perfect screens back then posting pictures to prove it.

I waited 3 months and when the local Micro Center received a new shipment, i asked them to pick out a DY serial number prefix model for me. It was a week 17 build (end of May) and the screen was fine.

Good luck finding an acceptable unit and try to ignore the posters who are attacking you for reporting a fault with an Apple product.

I did read a post today on the retina MacBook Pro forum where a person was all stressed out about how the new rMBP laptop he purchased was stuttering while scrolling. There were many people saying theirs are scrolling perfectly smooth and questioning his observations (no one calling him OCD yet). Later on in the thread, he mentioned he bought a new iPad and he didn't have any empathy for the people reporting screen issues. It's amazing how things are much different when the shoe's on the other foot.