Returning iPhone 4 and ReBuying iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleg33k, Jul 8, 2010.

1. appleg33k macrumors member

i think ive had enough of this phone. i just can't justify keeping something that i spent $300 on that doesn't satisfy me. im very ocd and i just want a phone that works like how its advertised. i hate using cases on my phones, so the antenna issue will always stick around. that's the biggest problem. other than that, i do love the phone, but it is a pretty big issue. even though the iphone 4 may have a bunch of great features, it must be able to make a phone call first and foremost, which is does a poor job of. so i think i have decided. i am going to return the iphone 4 before my 30 days are up, and repurchase an iphone 3GS (bestbuy still has brand new 32gb ones available). the 3GS kept me happy. i could make and receive phone calls without worrying about how i old it. it was always fast enough for my needs, and the fact that it can run the full features of iOS 4 is even better. i can sacrifice the retina display. and i don't care too much for facetime and the better camera. what do you guys think?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

return and we'll have less of these threads.

i say go for it.

3. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Do what makes you happy? You joined Macforums this month but have owned a 3GS before. Seems fishy.

4. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Why do you need others to validate your decision? Just return it if you're not happy.

5. draz macrumors 6502a

That means what exactly?

And to appleg33k, do what makes you happy.

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Um, joining macforums isn't a requirement at the date of purchase of an iPhone, I've had a 3G for two years but just joined last month.
    Anyway, to the op if you want to go back to the 3GS, I suggest looking for a used one that way you won't use up your upgrade on last years model plus you want to be upgrade eligible when next years version comes out.

7. appleg33k thread starter macrumors member

lol well i started viewing the macrumors forums after i got the iPhone 4 and was experiencing all the issues. i'm still a little confused as to what i want to do. i have until the 20th to decide but as of the moment i'm leaning towards returning it.

8. Jordan6 macrumors regular

once you return it(assuming it was an upgrade?)..can you upgrade again later on if you decide to wanna repurchase the iPHone 4?

Or is it use it once and its gone kinda things

9. appleg33k thread starter macrumors member

well if i return it i would get my upgrade back but if i buy a brand new 3GS then i would lose the upgrade again. i have an upgrade on a different line that will be eligible in feb 2011, but i will be saving that for the next iphone (iPhone 5?). maybe i should return my current iPhone 4 and the rebuy it so i can get one from the "new batch." plus that will give me another 15-30 days to decide if i wanna keep it or not. i'm still a little confused as to what to do, which is why i posted on here.

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, I plan on waiting as long as possible before I return mine and rebuy and hopefully that one will have better reception. But if not I prepared to use a case for the 18 months before I'm upgrade eligible again.

If you used your upgrade, when you return the phone the contract will be reversed and you be upgrade eligible again, though it may take a couple of days for it to show on your account.

11. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Return it please. I am so sick of you children coming here and crying about such trivial things :)

12. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

If you dong put a case on a GLASS phone, your wrong. ;)

13. fubar888 macrumors member

So, you rather waste your 2 year upgrade eligibility by buying back another iPhone 3GS, which is already obsolete, then wait for the software fix or trying to hold it differently?

The carrier hasn't changed. It is still on AT&T's ******-ass network. Dropped calls aren't something new. Every phone on AT&T's network will drop calls here and there. The iPhone 4's antenna design does actually help with the signal strength and prevent normal dropped calls where other phones would have even if it does have that "death grip" issue. Just don't cover that black strip. Not hard at all. What, you never had dropped calls with your 3GS?

I actually like knowing exactly where my phone's weakness is in terms of signal strength. It's like a feature really. You get a call from someone you don't want to speak to, BAM, death-grip his/her ass and force a dropped call.

If having dropped calls is such a big issue, why don't you just dump AT&T completely and join Verizon and get an Android phone. Oh wait, YOU CAN'T! Because YOU LOVE THE iPHONE SO MUCH that you actually had to waste your precious time to come onto the MacRumors Forums to tell the world that you are going to return your iPhone 4 and get a 3GS...like the act of giving up your oh-so-precious iPhone 4 was such a big step in your life or something.

Nobody gives a flying *** that you are returning it. I mean, good for you. Do what pleases you. It's your money, your phone, your life. Just ****** return already, jesus.

Stop your whining and complaining, just get a damn Verizon Android phone.

14. appleg33k thread starter macrumors member

i'm not whining or complaining by any means. i just wanted the opinion of other users. this is SOMEWHAT of a big life decision because i communicate with all the important people in my life via my phone. so i just want the the most reliable one. verizon is currently not an option for reasons that are not important here. honestly, i don't know what to do, which is why i am asking the opinion/advise of others.

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Wow, some of you really need to get lives, it's just a message board where people exchange ideas and have conversations, if you don't like the conversation don't join and move on to the next topic, not that hard really.

16. Lenxal macrumors regular

You can always sell it on craigslist and buy a 3gs on craigslist and make like a 300-400 dollars profit

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

18. appleg33k thread starter macrumors member

it's probably stupid of me, but i just don't like the idea of having a refurbished phone. what you said is probably the smarter thing to do, but i would really hate having a refurb. like i said above, i am very ocd lol.

19. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

Return your phone and be done with it, seems that is what you want to do anyway.

But, as an early adopter, you should know that buying ANYTHING the second it comes out will have glitches and minor issues that need to be worked out. It's that way with cars, motorcycles, electronics, computers, etc. If there truly is a problem with the iPhone 4 that can't be fixed with software updates, I trust Apple will make it right (they always have in the past). Early adopters take that risk, which is why most of us stood in lines for hours just to get the thing.

20. fubar888 macrumors member

Now this is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Sorry to disappoint you, but this is not a "bad batch" issue. Unless they change the current antenna design or switch it out to a different material or add some type of coating to it, all future iPhone 4's will have this "death grip" phenomena.

You see, your problem is NOT the iPhone 4. The problem is YOU.
    You absolutely have to have an iPhone, which exactly why you came onto the forums to cry.

The iPhone 4 does exactly how it is advertised, if not more.
    The death grip phenomena is not a design flaw, it is a limitation to cellular technology in general. Try holding any other phone in certain ways or covering up in certain ways on AT&T's ******-ass network and you will see that you will get the same dropped calls. The iPhone 4 is just more apparent of this because of the external antenna design and because so many people bought it.

The solution to your problem is VERY SIMPLE.
    DUMP AT&T and GET VERIZON.

...and stop your whining.

21. Buddhaluver macrumors regular

Buddhaluver

22. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Op, don't let the whiners get to you, they just have their panties in a bunch because they can't stand negative stuff being said about apple, just ignore them and move on.

One thing I do agree with them though, are you sure you want to use your upgrade and resign your contract for lasts year model?

23. fubar888 macrumors member

LOL @"verizon is currently not an option for reasons that are not important here"

So, what is the reason exactly?
    Let me guess...Verizon doesn't have iPhones! God forbid you ditch your iPhone!

"because i communicate with all the important people in my life via my phone"
    Yet you are NOT going to sacrifice your iPhone to get your ass on Verizon now are you? Your iPhone seems to be more important to you life than your so-called "important people in your life"

24. appleg33k thread starter macrumors member

what is your problem? actually the iPhone 4 does not do everything exactly as advertised. where the heck have you been... the commercials show people holding the phone with their LEFT hand and everything functioning normally, which is CLEARLY not the case in real life use. i agree that other phones also attenuate the signal when holding it a certain way, but those certain ways of holding it are not in the way of normal use and normal holding, whereas with the iPhone 4, it is. like i said before, dumping at&t and going to verizon is out of the question right now. i'm sorry if this is coming off as whining, but that is really not my intention. i came to "cry" on these forums for genuine advise/opinions. i thought that was the purpose of these forums..

25. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

You hate a case soo much you'd return the phone and use an older model? I didnt want to use a case either but decided it had to be done. I picked up an incipio feather case, barely noticeable and solved the antenna issue for me.