Returning iPhone 5S due to power button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by murano, Nov 5, 2013.

1. murano macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Got my 5S Gold 32gb last week from apple.com
    The excitement died off as soon as I noticed the loose power button. Jumped on the forums to realize that a lot of us are in the same boat.
    Decided to live with it but over the past few days it got so annoying that I can't shoot videos without the background rattle.
    I initiated the return to apple today and have a few questions:

1. Do you guys think if I wait a month or so, Apple would have fixed this issue?
    2. Will AT&T reverse my upgrade and refund the upgrade fees as soon as Apple gets my return? Anything that I need to do apart from sending the phone back?

Thanks

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

All you need to do is goto an apple store and they will replace it under warranty. No need to return the phone or go through all of the other hoops.

3. blcfla macrumors regular

Good luck finding one that doesn't do it. I had to exchange my 5S at the Apple Store due to other issues but was hoping I'd get the power button thing taken care of at the same time...every replacement had the same issue. The "GENIUS" tried to play it off like it was normal or intended but my 5 didn't do it.

4. Aidy06 macrumors regular

I'm on my third 5s due to different issues but all have had the loose power button, I doubt you'll find one that doesn't rattle

5. gCloud macrumors 6502a

I had one that was not loose and didnt rattle at all, but it had a bad screen. They do exist.

6. murano thread starter macrumors member

That's why I am inclining to holding off an exchange. I would rather wait a month and then see if Apple has fixed the button. I have an old 4S that I can live with for another month.

7. Aidy06 macrumors regular

That's good to know they're actually out there, all 3 of the ones I've had all had the issue though. It doesn't bother me, I only know it's loose if I shake my phone which I don't tend to do very often

----------

I doubt they'll change anything on the production line to be honest - although I could be wrong, it's not that big an issue to me if I'm honest. The device I have now is flawless apart from the loose home button.

8. murano thread starter macrumors member

Good for you. Mine is flawless too. Tried to ignore the power button but it's annoying when you take a video.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Power button on iPhone 5s is absolutely the same of iPhone 5 so apple isn't going to fix it since there is nothing to fix.

10. Aidy06 macrumors regular

Why when you take a video? I have to really shake mine and even then it's not that loud, I'll learn to live with it as don't want to return this device and risk an even worse issue being on the replacement

11. joeluken macrumors member

I'm just returning my second 5S for refund due to the irritating power button rattle that even rattles when the phones in an Apple leather case.

I'll probably wait a while before ordering another assuming the issue is sorted or just pass if it isn't.

12. murano thread starter macrumors member

If I walk while taking a video I can hear it rattle or if I change the orientation of the phone I can hear it go 'tick'. Obviously I am not going to shake it vigorously while taking a video but you would want to be able to walk and take the video without any background rattle.

13. Aidy06 macrumors regular

Ah right, yours must be a lot worse than mine then as mine isn't that noticeable. I'd consider taking it back if it really is that bad

14. burnswuff macrumors newbie

Every model I have seen has this issue. It doesn't seem to be as serious as some people claim. I even left it on the table and had the phone vibrate constantly. While the rattle contributes somewhat to the vibrating noise, I don't think significant enough. I highly doubt they will fix it.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My iPhone 4s had a slight rattle, as did my wifes 4s. My sisters iPhone 4 does it as well. I just noticed on the 5s, if I hold my phone and tap the back near the camera, it rattles. If I hold my phone with the same grip but with one finger putting some pressure on the power button, it still rattles. That tells me that something else is causing the rattling. I always attributed it to the vibrate motor.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My iPhone 4/4S/5/5S have all had the rattle. I don't think it is as much the power button as the camera module. When I shake my phone while holding the button, it rattles. But, when I shake it applying pressure to the camera, it doesn't rattle. It was like this for all my iPhones.

17. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

18. murano thread starter macrumors member

There is one about 40 mins away.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My iphone 4, 4S and iphone 5 and most iphones I came across have that power button play\rattle motion.
    I don't even notice or obsess over something minor like that.
    If you go to an Apple store almost all devices will be the same. Unless you make them open up 100 replacements to look for one with the strongest power button. And even then you'll complain that its too stiff or hard to press down.
    I'd find something better to do with my time and worry about better things in life.

20. jjjj macrumors newbie

All prior iphone models *I've* handled *do not* have such rattling.
    I don't consider myself anal; I've lived with a cracked screen on my phone for years without it bothering me, among many other things that seem to bother others. But the instant I pulled my 5s out of the box and started peeling the plastic off, I heard a rattle, and genuinely thought something was broken and loose inside the phone until I isolated it (and then found all the threads online). The clicking gets in your videos as my testing and other peoples' youtube videos show, especially if you're moving around, in a vehicle, etc. I'm not going to pay $350 for a "precisely machined" phone and have that. Shame, beautiful device otherwise, though a bit slippery and thin and thus a bit hard to hold in my large hand. I returned it. The store was busy but I was able to shake maybe 5-6 of the demo units, all rattled except for one, some worse than others. I was really surprised that there was one that didn't, I tried it again later to make sure. The replacement they gave me rattled, so I gave it right back. They didn't want to open X more boxes to try to find one that didn't, which I can understand, so no 5s for me. I'll keep checking in on these threads, but I'm not sure it's realistic to think apple will fix this problem unless it gets more publicity.

21. joeluken macrumors member

I have a 4, 4s and 5 ranging from 3 to 1 year old and the power button does not rattle like it does on the 5s.

I've had two 5s and handled a few more and some of the units don't rattle unfortunately the one I purchased do. If it's by design on the 5S then once the unit I currently have is refunded I'll pass on the lottery of buying another.

Like you I find it a problem so if it bothers you don't buy for the other than don't care it's not an issue for you. :)

22. JacinTatt macrumors member

Lol people here seem to have a lot of problems with Apple devices. My 4S hasn't had a single issue in the 2 years since I got it. My brand new 5S has a normal power button and the screen is perfect. I've never had a sticky home button on any of my iOS devices (including iPads) or any other "common" issues. My 1st gen Retina MBP has only ever had one issue and that was the backflight started flickering about a year in because I bumped the side of the screen a bit too hard. Apple still repaired it for free as they thought it just happened randomly. So between the two screens I've had, there has been no ghosting, no clipping, no lag.

I suspect people overplay their problems a lot

23. gCloud macrumors 6502a

it is not the camera lens we are talking about here, it is the sleep/power button, you don't have to shake the phone to hear it, just walking/moving will trigger the sound, if you put your finger on it the sound stops.
    The problem is that the rattling sleep button is very close to the mic so if you take video, voice memo or be on the phone hands free while on the move that rattle is recorded or transmitted. I had 2 5s's (same spec, same factory one week apart) in my hands a couple of weeks ago, one had the issue and one didn't. the apple leather case does NOT help.

24. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

No point for returning, after some time every power button will become loose

25. ABC5S macrumors 68040