Returning Macbook Pros and Buying Them

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xyrm, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Xyrm macrumors member

Hey guys, so like many of you that are waiting for the new macbook pro. I was wondering if I could theoretically keep buying and returning macbook pros until the new one has released. I've already done it twice. Has apple every denied a return?

Thing is I'm new to macbook and it's just such an amazing laptop that I can't be without one now.

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

When you buy a Mac, you instantly get outdated tech.

Even the "new" MacBook Pro that hasn't even released yet will be outdated right after release.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

1. Return it.

2. Search around for a good deal on the MacBook that meets your needs.

3. Buy it and use it.

Does the current rMBP not meet your needs in some way that the currently unreleased rMBP does?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2016 ---
    This is true for any computer, not just Macs.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

At least when you are buying new Windows laptops, you are not getting super-outdated processors.

5. Ds6778 macrumors 6502

Ds6778

They sure can stop you from returning over and over again..

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Then buy a PC instead? It's still outdated as soon as you buy it.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah but a lot of people forget that a lot of the current gen mobile quad i7s, and even mobile Xeons, still don't have as high performance as the Haswell CPUs in the 15" rMBP. So you'd be the same person complaining if the refreshed 15" rMBP had a benchmark lower than the previous gen.

Not to solely blame Intel. There are a few chips Apple can use. But we're only talking tiny percentages; the current gen is still an absolute workhorse. If they can't update them appropriately, I just wish they dropped the price instead.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Apple keeps track and have in the past banned a few for excessive returns.

9. Tarek macrumors 6502

Why would you keep doing that, anyways? That's more of a hassle than anything. If you're unhappy with the current generation of MacBooks, don't buy it. If you are the type who starts to hate their device when a new one comes out, don't buy it. And yes, Apple could potentially ban you if they check the records.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's kind of a bad move, technically you could keep doing that, but Apple does keep track, and they could refuse to refund you any more because of what they deem excessive returns.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

He probably doesnt want to get stuck with the current model when the new ones come out.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Because of people like you are they going to reinstate restocking fees. Only takes one to ruin it for all.

13. Xyrm thread starter macrumors member

exactly what im doing
    thing is now I'm more in need of it
    everything is backedup in clouds, so I can switch easily from computers I barely save anything on the hard drive itself
    I have an apple watch and it unlocs super quick
    the ecosystem is just too good
    now with an iPhone 7 Plus I love it even more

I used to be hardcore pc/android fan

I think I'm just going to keep returning and buying and hopefully it'll work out. If I get banned not a big deal since I actually do want this laptop lol either way

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You know you are technically committing fraud right? I get if you did it once because you weren't 100% sold on keeping the device, but you like and use the device. You want it. So just keep it. If you want the new one next month, just sell this one. People are going to tell me to get off my high-horse but I don't care, what you are doing is flat out wrong. Just purchase it with a credit card that offers 90 day return policy. Or buy it from Amazon, has a 30 day return policy.

15. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

People like OP are the reason why the TRE (look it up) and other ridiculous return policies exist. I hope you get banned from buying Apple products for life if you do this. Totally wrong.

16. IllIllIll, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

People like you are the reason why some great companies like Costco and REI had to change their generous return policies. Keep pulling these kinds of shenanigans with Apple and they'll change too, to the detriment of ALL of us - not just you.

Stop being such a selfish jerk and quit abusing their return policy. Apple isn't in the business of renting or lending you their products. Needing a Macbook now does not entitle you to free upgrades on future Macbooks.

17. Tarek macrumors 6502

18. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Wow just wow. If you need the MacBook now buy it and use it. When the new one comes out sell yours and buy the new one. If you don't want to have to go through that then return the machine and don't buy another until the new one comes out.

Stop abusing the return policy!

19. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

How is this any different from repeatedly buying and returning from Apple?

20. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

What a productive use of time and resources. Funny how people with questionable morals can't keep from boasting about it.

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

It really isn't, but its one return instead of 2 in a 28 day period. Its still wrong nonetheless, but its not as bad IMO. I still do not condone it, but clearly the OP has their mind made up that they want to take advantage of Apple. At least doing it with the Credit Card its a benefit of the card and it leaves Apple out of it.

22. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

That's not the point. Buying anything with the sole purpose of returning it later without recourse is scumbag behavior, period. It doesn't matter if you buy it from Amazon or used a credit card. You actually think that a credit card company doesn't go after the retailers that they have to pay refund claims on? Someone has to eat the lost revenue, and I guarantee you American Express, Visa, and MasterCard aren't the ones doing it. Also, you left out the fact that Apple eats the cost of the credit card processing fee (anywhere from 1 to 3%) every time a transaction is made.

Costco used to have a fantastic return policy for everything they sold, until a bunch of jackholes bought bigscreen TVs on the Friday before Superbowl Sunday and returned them for a full refund the following Monday. How does paying with a credit card versus cash or buying/returning from Amazon make any difference whatsoever?

23. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Again, I am condemning the behavior of the OP. What the OP is doing is 100% wrong and is fraud. My only point was that instead of doing it at Apple which may potentially ruin it for the rest of us, do it at a place that has a longer return window or through the CC company which you have benefits for. That way its done once, even though its still fraud. I just don't want the OP ruining Apple's policy for the rest of us and having restocking fees reinstated. I hope Apple does ban the OP because he/she has already done it twice.

24. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

It's your choice if you want to do that, but I wouldn't feel right doing that.

If I was very worried about future MBP products, I would probably buy a MacBook Pro right before the announcement from Apple, and return it if they announce something that you really don't like or if they announced nothing to begin with.

Not very kind, but one return is better than constantly buying and returning.

25. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

So in other words, you think it's OK to commit fraud as long as you're not committing fraud against the company you like. That's the same as saying "don't shoplift from Apple Stores, shoplift from Wal-Mart instead".
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2016 ---
    IMO there's nothing wrong with doing this. In fact, several years ago I bought a 13" MBP about a month before a new 13" model was announced, that had a slightly faster CPU and more hard drive storage capacity for the same price I paid. The salesperson at my local Apple Store actually encouraged me to return the unit I bought, despite me originally planning to just keep it.

Doing it over and over again just to future-proof your original purchase, though? Skeevy and unethical.