Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Editing to add TL;DR: may end up returning 14 Pro, and two 15 Pros within 1 year timeframe, concerned it will look bad

Okay so to make a long story short, I upgraded my iPhone X to an iPhone 14 Pro this summer, but ended up returning it at around 14 days in because I just could not get over the super aggressive photo processing pipeline. This was a 1TB iPhone 14 Pro, a case, and Apple Care+.

Well, after the 15 Pro release, and realizing that my X is no longer supported by iOS, I realized that I will be forced to upgrade soon, since apps I use (like 1password) will eventually not even support iOS. I also would prefer better battery among other things.

Anyways, I picked up a 15 Pro 1TB... Opened it... And, the rear glass had an issue, it felt loose (yes, loose) and was clicking. I immediately drove to the store, and started a return on the way there, not realizing it would result in a shipping label. Once I got there, I explained I simply wanted to return it, and figure out if I'd buy another phone later. I wanted it off my hands. So they completed a return for me on this iPhone as well. There's now two returns for the same phone in my account, one completed (the in person one) and one started (the shipping one), but I called them and they said this is fine, the shipping one will simply disappear. I told them I didn't want it to look like I was trying to pull any funny business.

However I am worried I'll look suspicious or will be flagged if I purchase another iPhone 15 Pro, and end up not liking the camera and returning it. The employee insisted that would not happen, and even went so far as to say that someone could buy an iPhone, return it in 14 days, do the same thing, and just repeatedly do that for a whole year and it wasn't an issue -- but I do not believe them. I'm sure there is a limit, and I don't want to end up crossing it. I mean presumably it is way more than 3, because someone could buy phones for their whole family and end up returning them?

I don't really think it's my fault that this particular iPhone I purchased had a cosmetic defect, but I don't know if it was registered that way in their system. I think it was just a normal return.

Presumably, reading Reddit threads like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/amz6wj
.. Indicates to me that I should be fine, because this dude apparently returned hundreds of phones before it became an issue, and it sounds like he's not even banned from buying Apple stuff, just banned from some stores.

Am I overthinking this / being too paranoid here? I just really really do not want to get on some sort of flagged list for returning too much stuff.

I just want to be able to try out the 15 Pro and decide if I like it. That was my goal, which is why I am not happy that the iPhone I was sent was defective. Maybe I should have just done an exchange, but I wasn't in the mood.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
IMO I wouldn't lose your sleep over 2 returned iPhones. You legitimately had a defective unit right out of the box. They definitely will not flag you unless you have made it a habit of returning multiple items. Doing it two or three times is okay.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Problem is I also had AirPods Max stolen by FedEx so I had to request a replacement (this was in 2021) and I returned an iPad Pro in 2020 (but that was closed box, not even opened).

I wish I felt more confident that a third iPhone Pro return wouldn't cause me issues. Because if it does I could be in a really bad spot -- I rely on Apple and my Apple ID for a lot of things.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
I can’t answer with authority, but suspect you are most unlikely to have a problem especially when one return was a for a faulty product. I am sure you will be able to buy and return multiple more products with impunity. But let me ask - what’s the worst that could happen? In the extremely unlikely event that they refuse a sale, you can still get your Apple products elsewhere.

marklcfc

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I returned 2 this week, bought the 13 and 13 mini to compare off the refurbished store and ending up getting the 14 with the £60 gift card when that offer came out. To be honest I have since considered sending it back for the 15 but I am sticking with this one now :D

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
not criticising anyone's choice, but tbh ive never bought an apple item and returned it because i didnt like it, and i have bought...counts on fingers....at least 20 apple products just for myself plus more for family, so say 30 products (not including cables or other minor things).

i just dont get it, how do people find themselves buying and returning products multiple times ?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
As long as the issue is legit I doubt they will flag you on anything. But if you are really worried, take notes when they start asking you to give them a call for confirmation. That’s the clue they are feeling it is suspicious, well one of them anyways.

As for return limit, don’t believe what sales rep or frontline support says. They may not know enough about Apple policy than customers do or phone support people do sometimes. It happens. Don’t take their word for it.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
But let me ask - what’s the worst that could happen? In the extremely unlikely event that they refuse a sale, you can still get your Apple products elsewhere.

Well I was kind of curious about this too, if anyone knew. If they’d simply start refusing returns, meh, oh well. I guess I was more worried about being refused sales (which could propagate to authorized retailers) or, absolutely worst case, having my Apple ID locked.

I returned 9 14 pro max due to cosmetic damages out of the box and dead pixel lol you’re fine!

Yes, but I am assuming these were exchanges, not returns. For some reason I image exchanges for cosmetic defects are looked at with less side eye.

not criticising anyone's choice, but tbh ive never bought an apple item and returned it because i didnt like it, and i have bought...counts on fingers....at least 20 apple products just for myself plus more for family, so say 30 products (not including cables or other minor things).

i just dont get it, how do people find themselves buying and returning products multiple times ?

I mean I don’t know what to say, I explained my reasoning. I do love most apple products, but the forced camera processing bothered me enough to return the 14 despite giving it 2 weeks. I think that’s a fair reason to not want to use a $1500 phone, when the camera is one of the main features?

As long as the issue is legit I doubt they will flag you on anything. But if you are really worried, take notes when they start asking you to give them a call for confirmation. That’s the clue they are feeling it is suspicious, well one of them anyways.

As for return limit, don’t believe what sales rep or frontline support says. They may not know enough about Apple policy than customers do or phone support people do sometimes. It happens. Don’t take their word for it.

Yeah. I don’t know if the “issue” was logged in the return though. The guy just seemed to go through the motions of starting a return process.

What are you talking about with regards to a call — when you purchase? They’ll ask for you to confirm via phone because they’ll want to tell you that you’re returning too many things?

Reactions: Bacong

Bustermd

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Might I suggest you look at some reviews of the iphone 15 pro with sample photos before going ahead and buying it again if you are just going to return it if you don't like the photo processing (which is still there by all accounts)? Phone has been out a while now and there should be plenty of real world examples to look at. Not saying you've done anything wrong but I personally don't agree with the "I'm just going to try it out to see if I like it" thing as that is not really what returns are for.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
I have looked at plenty of reviews and comparisons but it doesn't compare with using the camera yourself, especially because most reviews are presenting compressed versions of photos or using ProRAW or other specific settings.

If being dissatisfied with a product wasn't meant to be a reason for return, the return policy wouldn't be "no questions asked", so I'm not sure I agree that it's not what returns are for. In fact the extended return policy is almost certainly because people buying gifts aren't sure if the receiver will like the gift.

If they didn't want you to be able to return something you don't like they would specify that there must be a manufacturer defect for you to be able to return... Which some companies do.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I don’t see issue with this at all. Plenty of folks abuse the system, your case doesnt sound like it. Just go to store and use a demo iPhone 15 Pro and take pics, see if it works. You can always get around Apple processing with other camera apps.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Yeah I certainly don't think I'd be abusing the system to return a 14 Pro and 15 Pro after buying them with the express intent to use them as long as they work for me. But what matters is what Apple thinks of it, not what I think of it.

Unfortunately testing the phones at the Apple Store hasn't been particularly helpful. There's a fairly limited range of what you can try in an indoor, very monochromatic environment. I'm far more interested in what photos in my home environment and outdoor environments look like, which can really only be tested by actually activating and using the phone.

As far as getting around the processing with other apps, yeah I have found that Halide does a good job of this, however, it doesn't really replace the main camera app for quick snapshots since you don't get a Live Photo.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
If camera is a big deal, try Android phones. Or just use third party apps of native camera app doesn’t cut it. I use a 13 PM and it is way better than a 7 plus I upgraded from in most aspects. There are certain things I missed from 7plus but I found a workaround or got used to new way of doing things on iPhone 13 PM. But and test, if you don’t like it return.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
When the original SE was introduced I returned mine for screen quality issues and got a replacement with the same issue. This happened 6 times. I eventually couldn’t return the last one because all of a sudden mail-in wasn’t available in my area. Very weird.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
When the original SE was introduced I returned mine for screen quality issues and got a replacement with the same issue. This happened 6 times. I eventually couldn’t return the last one because all of a sudden mail-in wasn’t available in my area. Very weird.

Yeah I wouldn't be worried if I had done an exchange, it's the return that's stressing me out. Only thing I really care about in this instance is whether or not Apple will ban me for returning 3 phones, if I do

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Yeah I wouldn't be worried if I had done an exchange, it's the return that's stressing me out. Only thing I really care about in this instance is whether or not Apple will ban me for returning 3 phones, if I do
Just go to Apple Store, let the employee know and buy a new phone. It’s not a big deal to stress out for returning 3 times in a year.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
not a big deal.. apple could care less.. makes their numbers look better actually...

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Might I suggest you look at some reviews of the iphone 15 pro with sample photos before going ahead and buying it again if you are just going to return it if you don't like the photo processing (which is still there by all accounts)? Phone has been out a while now and there should be plenty of real world examples to look at. Not saying you've done anything wrong but I personally don't agree with the "I'm just going to try it out to see if I like it" thing as that is not really what returns are for.
Not disagreeing with you, but people return iPhones for all kinds of reasons - want a different color, different size, different model and some people order multiple models or colors to see which they prefer and return the rest. Apple seems to support this policy. Many times when I've checked things out in the store (even computers) a staff member has assured me that I can return it if I decide I don't like it for any reason. I don't think the OP will have any problem returning another phone if not happy with it for "any reason".

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
You need to search these forums to find similar stories but your history so far won't trigger anything. Look at the iPhone launch threads: people seemingly buy multiple models in all colours and return all but one, and do this every year.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
You should be fine. Many people do much more than you for legitimate reasons. Yeah, if you super abuse the system something might happen, but in your case, you are nowhere near that point. On the other hand, this is Apple we are talking about, so some arbitrary nonsense might happen too.

Reactions: Shirasaki

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
You should be fine. Many people do much more than you for legitimate reasons. Yeah, if you super abuse the system something might happen, but in your case, you are nowhere near that point. On the other hand, this is Apple we are talking about, so some arbitrary nonsense might happen too.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. Does anyone who works at a store or higher up have the ability to comment on it?

Reactions: antiprotest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.