Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
No, they're not.

It is plainly ridiculous to say that photographic style preferences, regarding sharpening and noise, are not subjective. It's not even worth debating this. I don't know how someone can even seriously suggest this. The camera processing pipeline for almost all actual cameras is rife with customization sliders for sharpness, noise reduction, saturation, etc. For what reason do you think those exist?

Literal TRILLIONS of photos are taken on iPhones every year. People are fine with them.

Most people are. Some prefer something different. Apple gave awards to Halide, a third party camera app with different processing. Your logic is absurd. It sounds like you're just mad that I don't like the iPhone camera. Like you think I'm not allowed to have my own opinion.

You watched a YouTube video about modern iPhone cameras and decided you needed to have a problem with it.

Now you're just making things up. It's explicitly spelled out in my OP that I bought an iPhone 14 Pro and then did not like how my photos were turning out so I returned it.

Your entire response is genuinely weird. It's as if you take offense to me having an opinion on the camera processing. I don't know why you care. The subject of the thread I created is the return policy. What do you think is going to happen, you're going to just convince me I actually like the sharpened 14 Pro photos?

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
the way you evaluate this is by EACH return, is EACH return warranted and legal = if so no issue and then there is NO cap. DO not worry!

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
I have returned a HUGE amount of stuff to Apple………don’t worry about it.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
It is plainly ridiculous to say that photographic style preferences, regarding sharpening and noise, are not subjective. It's not even worth debating this. I don't know how someone can even seriously suggest this. The camera processing pipeline for almost all actual cameras is rife with customization sliders for sharpness, noise reduction, saturation, etc. For what reason do you think those exist?

Most people are. Some prefer something different. Apple gave awards to Halide, a third party camera app with different processing. Your logic is absurd. It sounds like you're just mad that I don't like the iPhone camera. Like you think I'm not allowed to have my own opinion.

Now you're just making things up. It's explicitly spelled out in my OP that I bought an iPhone 14 Pro and then did not like how my photos were turning out so I returned it.

Your entire response is genuinely weird. It's as if you take offense to me having an opinion on the camera processing. I don't know why you care. The subject of the thread I created is the return policy. What do you think is going to happen, you're going to just convince me I actually like the sharpened 14 Pro photos?
Here is the thing about your "opinion". It's wrong. It's yours, but its wrong. And when you chose to post your wrong opinion to the internet, you opened the door to criticism. But you were hoping for more of a cluster of validation and agreement. Hence your post above, which indicates how mind blown you are when someone doesn't pat you on the back for having a wrong opinion.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Here is the thing about your "opinion". It's wrong. It's yours, but its wrong. And when you chose to post your wrong opinion to the internet, you opened the door to criticism. But you were hoping for more of a cluster of validation and agreement. Hence your post above, which indicates how mind blown you are when someone doesn't pat you on the back for having a wrong opinion.

I don't care at all what you think about my opinion about the camera. The thread is about returning phones. Don't give a **** about the rest of this nonsense.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Here is my experience: I have returned a total of two iPhones-one 15 Pro and one 15 Pro Max-since September 22 (no issues with the iPhones themselves) and I may be returning a third that I recently received.

Interesting that unlike the other two where I could just go online and initiate the return, that I can’t for this latest purchase-I have to either call or chat with Apple for a return by courier or return it to an Apple Store.

I called Apple support to confirm that I still qualified for the extended return period (I do) and to ask why the online return wasn’t available for this particular purchase and they had no clue-said it might be a glitch in the system. Anybody ever experience this?

Either way there doesn’t appear to be any issue with the return-just more inconvenient.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketbuc

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
not criticising anyone's choice, but tbh ive never bought an apple item and returned it because i didnt like it, and i have bought...counts on fingers....at least 20 apple products just for myself plus more for family, so say 30 products (not including cables or other minor things).

i just dont get it, how do people find themselves buying and returning products multiple times ?
The Amazon syndrome. Easy returns. Nowadays everybody can return whatever product they wish just because "don't like it". Won't do any research, won't bother go in store to see if the thing answers their needs. I buy and if I don't like, I return. I have nothing against this of course not and I use it too when needed. That's it: "when needed". The OP had no reason to send back the 14 for such a flaky reason (agressive processing of photos), childish in my eyes. But had all the reasons to return the 15. But why two return case opened? The OP is a bit too intense on returning.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
The OP had no reason to send back the 14 for such a flaky reason (agressive processing of photos), childish in my eyes.

Lol okay, only the most important function I use my phone for besides texting and calling. I paid $1500 for a phone that took photos I absolutely hated with a passion. I was disgusted and didn't want to take any photos at all. Apple literally took away features in the 14 Pro camera, removing the ability to disable Smart HDR. It's horrible software and there is absolutely zero excuse to sell a $1500 phone with a "Pro" moniker and not even give the end user the ability to disable the goddamn sharpening in the JPEGs. That's a feature on baseline $200 cameras. Luckily it doesn't matter if you approve of me returning it, the only thing I care about is if Apple cares.

Here is my experience: I have returned a total of two iPhones-one 15 Pro and one 15 Pro Max-since September 22 (no issues with the iPhones themselves) and I may be returning a third that I recently received.

Interesting that unlike the other two where I could just go online and initiate the return, that I can’t for this latest purchase-I have to either call or chat with Apple for a return by courier or return it to an Apple Store.

I called Apple support to confirm that I still qualified for the extended return period (I do) and to ask why the online return wasn’t available for this particular purchase and they had no clue-said it might be a glitch in the system. Anybody ever experience this?

Either way there doesn’t appear to be any issue with the return-just more inconvenient.

That is interesting, I strongly suspect it is not a glitch.

• Haha
Reactions: Bethanie21

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
I tend to agree but it really doesn't make much sense because the option to return it is available and if someone is going to return something, a little inconvenience in the process isn't really going to sway that decision. Just seems like more work for the customer...and Apple in the end.

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
I tend to agree but it really doesn't make much sense because the option to return it is available and if someone is going to return something, a little inconvenience in the process isn't really going to sway that decision. Just seems like more work for the customer...and Apple in the end.
Maybe it is one step between ban. Obviously they cannot prevent anyone returning within return period.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Maybe it is one step between ban. Obviously they cannot prevent anyone returning within return period.
I doubt it given that so many people in this thread have made way more than 2-3 returns in a short period of time...considering banning after just two returns seems way over the top. I have purchased countless iPhones and computers from Apple through the years-in fact, I purchased a MBA earlier this year and I have never returned anything until now.

sdante

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2023
I doubt it given that so many people in this thread have made way more than 2-3 returns in a short period of time...considering banning after just two returns seems way over the top. I have purchased countless iPhones and computers from Apple through the years-in fact, I purchased a MBA earlier this year and I have never returned anything until now.
Could be but it could be also some kind of algorithm doing this and I've seen people experiencing this with some other companies where they got banned very easily from returning something where some others get to do it all the time, so it is not always working so predictable way. I have no idea if Apple uses such algorithm at all.
But yeah, probably just glitch in your case, you'll get answer to it when you order next time(s).

FWIW, I did multiple returns with my 12 Pro and I haven't seen any issues with ordering again after that, and I've seen return option active for my orders online. But I do often place order in guest mode (no particular reason why I do so, it is so easy to link your guest order to your Apple ID later on if you want).

Reactions: PieMac

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
Apple don’t ban people for returning items within the 14 day return period. They do not have a “fair usage” returns policy like Amazon. They are a 3 trillion dollar business and banning someone for returning a product within their returns policy parameters would be extremely bad PR. You are worrying about nothing, it’s a glitch. You can return this and as many other products as you want as long as you stay within their very liberal return policy.

These are just consumer electronics with a huge profit margin that are ultimately disposable.

Three pages of angst ridden fluff from members that joined in the last few weeks……..come on.

Reactions: Racineur

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Lol okay, only the most important function I use my phone for besides texting and calling. I paid $1500 for a phone that took photos I absolutely hated with a passion. I was disgusted and didn't want to take any photos at all. Apple literally took away features in the 14 Pro camera, removing the ability to disable Smart HDR. It's horrible software and there is absolutely zero excuse to sell a $1500 phone with a "Pro" moniker and not even give the end user the ability to disable the goddamn sharpening in the JPEGs. That's a feature on baseline $200 cameras. Luckily it doesn't matter if you approve of me returning it, the only thing I care about is if Apple cares.

OK Ok for the return frenzy but I still wonder if the OP has made some research off the quality and issues with photos taken with the iPhone. May he answer this question please. I've came across too many people that buy with return in mind. I bought some winter boots the other day. Would you buy shoes online? Without touching it, trying it on and have the feeling of them in your feet before buying? If you do for things like boots, then you buy with the 'return' in mind. Which is not my type.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
OK Ok for the return frenzy but I still wonder if the OP has made some research off the quality and issues with photos taken with the iPhone. May he answer this question please. I've came across too many people that buy with return in mind. I bought some winter boots the other day. Would you buy shoes online? Without touching it, trying it on and have the feeling of them in your feet before buying? If you do for things like boots, then you buy with the 'return' in mind. Which is not my type.
I'm the OP, I'm the one that responded to begin with. Yes of course I did extensive research, but there's only so much you can do. Most articles comparing the 14 Pro to the 15 Pro suffer from one or multiple of the following issues:

• Severely compressed images, rendering comparison far more difficult beyond simple things like colors and brightness. Sharpness and artifacts are difficult to evaluate.
  • Lack of diverse comparison images, often utilizing only a handful of shots, such as night mode portraits, that are irrelevant for my purposes. No day time landscape shots.
  • Lack of specification of settings used.
  • Utilization of ProRAW or image editing which renders comparison moot and isn't what I'm interested in. I like Live Photos.
  • Lack of comparison with older iPhone models -- such as X, XS or 11 -- rendering comparison with the X I am upgrading from impossible.

Honestly, I'm almost motivated to start a website where the sole purpose is to compare iPhone generations from X onward using identical images taken at the same time from the same spot. This would be the only way to really have an accurate comparison.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
I'm the OP, I'm the one that responded to begin with. Yes of course I did extensive research, but there's only so much you can do. Most articles comparing the 14 Pro to the 15 Pro suffer from one or multiple of the following issues:

• Severely compressed images, rendering comparison far more difficult beyond simple things like colors and brightness. Sharpness and artifacts are difficult to evaluate.
  • Lack of diverse comparison images, often utilizing only a handful of shots, such as night mode portraits, that are irrelevant for my purposes. No day time landscape shots.
  • Utilization of ProRAW or image editing which renders comparison moot and isn't what I'm interested in. I like Live Photos.
  • Lack of comparison with older iPhone models -- such as X, XS or 11 -- rendering comparison with the X I am upgrading from impossible.

Honestly, I'm almost motivated to start a website where the sole purpose is to compare iPhone generations from X onward using identical images taken at the same time from the same spot. This would be the only way to really have an accurate comparison.
Why not just go to Apple Store or BestBuy and take a photo with the iPhone on the display and see for yourself? Maybe there is a way to airdrop it to nearby Mac so you can pixel-peep.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
OP, if you are that concerned about image quality and such, which is certainly understandable, why not just purchase and use a dedicated camera and only once in a while shoot a snapshot or two with the iPhone when it happens to be the only camera you have with you in a given situation?

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Why not just go to Apple Store or BestBuy and take a photo with the iPhone on the display and see for yourself? Maybe there is a way to airdrop it to nearby Mac so you can pixel-peep.

I have already done this, but you can only tell so much by using the camera in the very limited environment of the Apple Store. Most issues with the processing become more apparent with landscape type shots where there is very bright sunny backgrounds and then darker trees, people, etc.

OP, if you are that concerned about image quality and such, which is certainly understandable, why not just purchase and use a dedicated camera and only once in a while shoot a snapshot or two with the iPhone when it happens to be the only camera you have with you in a given situation?

Because why would I downgrade from having an iPhone on me that I trust to take photos I like no matter the situation, to having a phone which I don't trust and therefore have to keep a dedicated camera around? On top of the $1500 "upgrade" that's another $1000 or so for a camera that gets good quality snapshots, like a Ricoh. And then I lose the convenience of the phone. On top of that, Apple's "Live Photos" feature is one of my favorite things. I mean basically, this is asking "why not just supplement the device with another device"? I am not necessarily looking to get super high quality photos I can blow up and print, which is what a dedicated camera would get me -- I literally just want the tiny iPhone sensor to let me take snapshots and have a Live Photo without it being sharpened to hell.

I understand what you're trying to say, but my issue is that I'm not willing to change from a phone that I trust to take solid photos to a phone I don't, unless I absolutely have to. Thus, if I were to return the 15 Pro, I would simply keep my X until it cannot be kept anymore -- which would probably be when critical apps I use stop supporting iOS 16, or when the battery fails again and it's on Apple's "vintage" list, so on and so forth.

The only reason I am even trying to test ride a 15 Pro is because I realize my X will be dying in the coming years, I can't keep using it forever.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Honestly I am starting to think my best bet might be getting a Costco membership and buying an iPhone from them because it has a 90 day return policy.

The only issues there are... One, I don't know if I can trust a device from anything except the Apple Store, two, they bundle Apple Care+ with it but you can't get loss and theft protection, and three, they don't sell 1TB phones.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec

Sir, with the return frenzy of the past years (Amazon being responsible for that), I became suspicious of buyers who return their purchases for any reason. But I understand your concern. I think you're after doing photography instead "taking pictures". So I recommend you buy the best and go right to a DSLR with an ultra bright lens. And process your photos as you like. Shoot RAW and forget about a bad result. I use my iPhone for shooting and most convenient pocket camera. This the best use of the camera of a smartphone. They make marvels but their post-processing depends on the manufacturer. On that subject: iPhone cameras are the best to my eye.

MM301

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2020
Honestly I am starting to think my best bet might be getting a Costco membership and buying an iPhone from them because it has a 90 day return policy.

The only issues there are... One, I don't know if I can trust a device from anything except the Apple Store, two, they bundle Apple Care+ with it but you can't get loss and theft protection, and three, they don't sell 1TB phones.
Huh? Why would you not be able to “trust” a device from Costco?

Last edited:

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec

Sir, you're too suspicious.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
I think you're after doing photography instead "taking pictures".

I just told you that I'm not.

The proof is in the pudding: the 14 Pro I returned took amazing photos if I used an app like Halide and used manual settings and RAW. But I still returned it, because what I wanted was easy quick snapshots that looked good.

It's really that simple. I don't want to have to process things. Or I'd have already bought a Canon R5.

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Huh? Why would you not be able to “trust” a device from Costco?

Sorry for not clarifying. What I mean is, I typically only buy my devices from Apple, because the only people I know who have received obviously used items that were repackaged as new, or even fake devices, got them from Amazon or Target or other sellers, whereas nobody I know has had issues buying direct from Apple (although they have had packages stolen, but that's a separate issue)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.