Returning my black iPad for a white one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fsolano, Mar 18, 2012.

1. fsolano macrumors member

Hello, I just wanted to ask if you guys think it is possible to return my new black 32gb iPad that I've used for a day back to Target to swap the color to a white one. They didn't have the white 32gb in stock when I went so I decided to get the black and now I'm having regrets... What do you guys think? Will they let me swap even though I already opened this one? Let me know. Thanks.

2. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

Most stores offer a 14-90 days return policy. As long as you return everything that came with it, Target will let you exchange it for a white iPad if they have it in stock.

3. EIGHTYTHREE macrumors member

EIGHTYTHREE

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Of course...its just like a return....you are within your rights in a return policy. Just return and re-buy.

4. imeth macrumors regular

People like you ruining supplies for others. You should have gone to an Apple store to check it out first. Now you have to deal with the hassle of seeing if any in stock, gas and mileage. SMH

5. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I think the OP has the right to his individual preferences don't you?

Go for it OP! We have 2 iPad 3's in our household; putting them side-by-side, the white is really stunning!

6. davedvdy macrumors regular

Maybe try to call the store first. Not sure how yours is, but Most Target stores out here in Los Angeles do not take returns on open iPads. Apple and Best Buy do at all locations within 14 days.

7. GarryBacon macrumors regular

Up until the day before launch I was set on black. But having a white iPhone 4s made me change my mind. Now I look at black iPads with disgust. It's such a stunning screen the black is bland in my opinion. But like I said that's my opinion, others are different. Good luck with your swap, let us know how you get on with the white!

8. imeth macrumors regular

No. O I see you are 1 of those regretting type people also.

9. fsolano thread starter macrumors member

Wow. Sounds like you didn't get a chance to get one and now your flaming. I'm not perfect and neither are you. I do regret getting a black one and now I want to switch to a white one. Don't worry about my hassles, the question is simple, will they let me return an opened iPad 1 day old for a white one? If you can't help then move on.

10. Sharkoid macrumors member

You have 45 days to return in it, just say you don't need it or it wasn't the right model. I work for target.

11. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

12. fsolano thread starter macrumors member

Even if it is opened?

13. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Actually, no. Mine is the white device, so I am totally happy with my purchase.

Assume much?

14. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

To me, the white is stunning. It just looks very classy. I have a black iPad 1 and it looks normal like every other device. Go white.

15. laurenr macrumors 6502a

They will still allow you to return it, even opened. Hope you kept the original box.

16. davedvdy macrumors regular

Regardless of whether you work at Target or not, your store might handle the returns differently than other Stores.

2 different Targets refused a return of my iPad 2 just for being "opened".

17. powerbook911, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

All you can do is kindly ask Target. I know their electronic policy can be different than regular items, one thing in your favor is that you want another one rather than a refund. Sometimes they are more understanding if you want to just take a gift card rather than cash/refund.

You didn't happen to have backlight bleed did you? That would be more of a technical issue and then they'd almost have to take it.

I felt the same as you last year when I bought the white one, I wanted black.

The black looks beautiful in advertising and when sitting out on a desk. However, for regular use, I personally prefer playing a game, watching a video or viewing a photo, with a black border.

The point being is all the same though, I understand why people can feel this way. Whatever we want, at least once we know, we know for the future. Apple just had to confuse us a little!

Good luck!

18. Eallan macrumors 6502

I'd recommend you don't. I had a white iPad 2 and it was so distracting I had to swap for a black. It really does change the experience. Keep the black.

19. Sharkoid macrumors member

It's a universal policy, you give up to easy then ask to speak to a LOD. There is no individual store policy. All targets have the same return policy. It's not a consumable content (video games/movies/cd's) they have to take it back under the 45 days as long as you havent mishandled the product by dropping it etc...

----------

Absolutely say it was the wrong model I have my receipt and it's under the 45 day return policy. Go back to electronics after and buy your new iPad :)

20. davedvdy macrumors regular

Ugh, I did not give up. I spoke to a manager at the culver city, los angeles location and he would not do the return for the iPad being opened. There is another thread here from another buyer warning people since he had the same issue. Clearly there are gross inconsistencies store to store. West Hollywood, North Hollywood, culver city, and Burbank all give the same story. They won't do the return.

My new iPad was purchased at Apple, I will not shop at Target for electronics ever again.

21. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Yep. Return it and don't listen to people complain about it - it's clearly stated in their return policy what you can and can't do.

22. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

It just seems like a waste of resources returning your black new iPad for a white one. It seems like the people on the MacRumors forums are never happy.

23. Sharkoid macrumors member

Doesn't make sense to me, unless your receipt was expired there is no reason they shouldn't be able to return it.

24. davedvdy macrumors regular

"Clearly" the return policy isnt clear because returns have been refused all over the US. It doesnt hurt to try obviously though.

----------

They didnt even run the receipt, they looked at the open box!

Out of curiosity, have u ever called other Target locations, cause they do actuallly tell u over the phone that they will not do the return too.

25. Sharkoid macrumors member

That's really interesting because they have to take it! I just don't see the reasoning behind it, what's funny is one of the managers at the one at Culver, works at our store now, I'm going to ask her if they do things different there lol.