iPhone X Returning my iPhone X today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wongster41, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

From what I have seen, I think that is just fine with Apple. Selling another phone isn’t all Apple is after. Apple desires a customer that will buy the store and all the products inside.

A customer that isn’t willing to spend a premium on the phone is less likely to pay for the apps and services that support it. And that’s really what’s important to Apple. They want customers with deep pockets that don’t give a second thought to the cost.

Apple plones are not Gillette razors. It’s not a razor, razor blade situation. It’s more like purchasing a luxury eropean car. They serve the same purpose but he cost and experience both premium. That lifestyle just isn’t for everyone.

2. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I think judging by my signature alone, I am Apple's ideal customer. Also notice how I said I'm going to buy another iPhone next time. Apple is happy as long as I keep purchasing from their lineup.

3. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I see a lot of low margin hardware.

Apple cares about any given hardware purchase for exactly 90 days. After that you need to start purchasing services. Did you buy apple care (rhetorical)? Apple will tolerate you for two years. It isn't until you start paying for services like iCloud, Music, and purchases from iTunes that really matter to Apple. Apple knows that isnt likely to come from a $500 phone purchase.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I perceive the value of an iPhone is based off what somebody appreciates from it and how it benefits them on a daily basis. If somebody doesn’t need or want all the features an iPhone X has to offer, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives that can deliver an experience without the high price tag of the iPhone X. I think that’s what I like about Apples iPhone lineup, is that there is a price point for everybody.

5. bopajuice, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Interesting perspective. Do you also judge others by the colors of their texts?

Plenty of people have deep pockets but still look for value when they purchase an item. The idea that those with deep pockets throw discretion to the wind sounds a bit naive. I buy luxury European cars but I spend a lot of time comparing features and negotiating the best price I can find before making the purchase, and then I keep it for several years.

I also know people who come from old money and are the biggest penny pinchers I know.

For some the illusion that living the Apple lifestyle somehow only applies to the affluent thus the target consumer for Apple products is more of a fantasy than reality.

Especially in the phone market where it appears from all the threads I have read on this site that most users overwhelmingly finance their phones indefinitely. In others words they are locked into monthly payments for an eternity. Many upgrade every year and the payments continue indefinitely. They never actually own their phone. Yup living the lifestyle is not for everyone. I certainly would not want live like that.

6. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Yup. Always an exception.

7. NewdestinyX macrumors 65816

Well now you’re overstating your case. Addons are indeed important to companies. But an iPhone X takes about $300 of parts and labor to make from articles I’ve read. Quite definitely the mark up to $1000 is still where Apple makes their biggest $. It’s still in the harrware, the main purchase, where Apple’s making their biggest $.

8. 0943834 Suspended

I just jumped on the bandwagon with my first iPhone after years and years of android phones. I bought an 8 Plus 256gb SIM free version straight from Apple. After extensive research and comparing the 8 Plus next to the X, both iPhones next to my Moto X Pure, I decided the 8 Plus was my best option. I will be keeping this phone until it dies because $950+ tax is a big investment. Also, no payments. I paid cash. Kept my pickup truck for 11yrs and over 170k miles. Our minivan has over 250k on it and we bought it brand new. That’s the way to get ahead financially. Live on less than you make and take care of what you have.

9. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Yeah I think that's very true. My desire to move away from the X was past my return window. However, if I had come to that conclusion before 14 days, I would have returned it for an iPhone 8 instead because I really value both wireless charging and the dual speakers.

I agree, the wide price spectrum of the current iPhone lineup is ideal for the consumer.

10. FoxD macrumors 6502a

Got the X when it came out and miss the bigger Plus size for sure. Keyboard especially. I like the gestures and Face ID so hope the X Plus rumors are true.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If there was one thing I absolutely believe, Apple will release a 6.5 iPhone X Plus. The reason why is because it’s a chance for them to expand the lineup for secondary option and charge a premium for a more expensive, larger device. It wouldn’t make sense for Apple to not make a larger iPhone X given how having options opens up to a secondary demographic who wants a larger iPhone.

12. teeshot44 macrumors regular

teeshot44

Went back to the 8+ myself. I gave the X almost 90 days worth of try. I read a lot of documents, books, pdf's and scan a lot of bound documents from records and files using my phone for work. The 8+ screen works better for me for what I use it for.

13. apolloa macrumors G4

Trouble with this 0.2 statement is the iPhone 6, 6S, 7 and 8.... that’s a 0.4 company :D

14. DaveOP macrumors 65816

He didn’t say the buyer had to be rich, merely that they had to value the extravagance of an iPhone X enough to pay for it. Whether rich, poor, or anywhere in between, people need to do value assessments with their money. If the poster above wants to pay $500-$600, there are quite literally hundreds of options for him. Making a comment (threat, essentially) that he won’t pay more than that for an iPhone X is fine, but that simply means he wont have one this year. If the device is only worth that much to him, he can wait a few years and get a used one, or decide to purchase another device.

15. Detonation macrumors member

Detonation

Or sell your phone every year before it depreciates too much, upgrade, and repeat. Similar total out of pocket cost over the course of several years and you always have the latest and greatest.
    Relevant article:
    http://bgr.com/2016/08/24/sell-iphone-6s-6-how-to-best-price-craigslist-facebook-ebay/

16. bbowser12 macrumors member

17. 0943834 Suspended

I don’t need the latest and greatest, but thanks for the idea. I like this phone quite a bit and don’t have the urge to have payments or always feel like I’m searching for the next deal. We’re on the road to becoming a completely cash household. At these prices, this thing better last a WHILE.

18. BasicGreatGuy, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

As long as you are careful with it, it should last several years barring a hardware defect or break. If that happens, I hope you have AppleCare+.