Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
1. Coming from an iPhone 7 Plus screen to the iPhone X screen is a downgrade, don't care what anyone says, everything is bigger on on my 7 Plus and 1080 resolution just fits everything nicely on the screen. The 1125 resolution on the iPhone X is just weird, especially watching youtube videos because everything out there is 1080p. Not to mention my 7 Plus is brighter and more cool compared to the X oled screen and I perfer the cooler color. I'll wait for the iPhone X Plus if Apple ever decides to release it.

2. My phone is always on my desk and with touch ID, I can easily unlock the phone without picking it up and take a quick glance at notifications with my 7 plus. I can't do that with the iPhone X, now I have to pick up the unit for face ID and swipe up, not convenient at all.

For paying $1200 w/ tax, I just wanted something that is better than my 7 Plus and I feel as though it's a step backwards for me due to the reasons above. If it works for you, that's great, I hope you continue enjoying your device, but this is definitely not for me. I really hope they release an iPhone X Plus with touch ID embedded into the screen.

EDIT 11/6/17: Yes, true tone was turned off on the X, and both brightness was turned to the max on both the Plus and X, the plus is brighter and cooler, the X was less bright and more warm/yellowish.

For people who doesn't believe I actually purchased one, here's my return receipt.
e70ca1fc-dc75-4d90-bf88-ba3c260a88e1-jpeg.732175

and here is an example of video cropping on the X compared to the plus (not my picture)

bb8db310-8201-4907-afa7-90b25dd8c196-jpeg.732808

Last edited:

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
the resolution has nothing to do with your youtube experience..

the resolution at 1125 px just means you get a crispier image because you have more pixels packed in the same space.

what you probably dont like is the aspect ratio. and thats fine, you are resistant to change. some people complained when their 3.5" screen in the iphone 4 became obsolete because they bought apple's "makes sense screen because you can reach it with your thumb from edge to edge".

LCDs are indeed brighter because they beam a constant light throughout the screen. however, this prevents deep contrasts and a truer black; as well as being less battery efficient.

take your time.. one step at a time. you'll get there eventually.

Nilla Wafer

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Texas
I came from the 6 Plus and I'm happy with the X. The actual screen is longer, just a bit narrower. My 6 Plus was getting slow and the X is really fast. That makes up for the FaceID not working if the phone is laying on my desk. Not a big deal to pick it up anyway. Plus with my Apple Watch, there is no need to look at my phone every time.

iphonemonstah

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
I agree. I've had my iPhone X for the past day and tbh, I popped my SIM back into my 6+ last night because I just don't know that I like the X. I miss the big screen. I'm sure I could get used to the narrower screen eventually but I'm also seriously considering returning mine for an 8+.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Your concern is valid. When apple said it was 5.8 I had assume the screen would be the same size as the plus. But now I put my iPhone x next to my fiancé's 7 plus and I can see the screen the difference. The plus is wider while the X is taller.

For me the X screen size is fine and sufficient. I have small hands so I find the X easier to hold.But if there's a iphone x coming out next year, I probably will go with the plus size.
[doublepost=1509809566][/doublepost]
I love my iPhone x

y6YjA.gif

Yeah I feel like there are too many iphone x haters since the release yesterday.

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
the resolution has nothing to do with your youtube experience..

the resolution at 1125 px just means you get a crispier image because you have more pixels packed in the same space.

what you probably dont like is the aspect ratio. and thats fine, you are resistant to change. some people complained when their 3.5" screen in the iphone 4 became obsolete because they bought apple's "makes sense screen because you can reach it with your thumb from edge to edge".

LCDs are indeed brighter because they beam a constant light throughout the screen. however, this prevents deep contrasts and a truer black; as well as being less battery efficient.

take your time.. one step at a time. you'll get there eventually.

I should have been more clear, I was definitely talking about the aspect ratio of the unit.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I agree. I've had my iPhone X for the past day and tbh, I popped my SIM back into my 6+ last night because I just don't know that I like the X. I miss the big screen. I'm sure I could get used to the narrower screen eventually but I'm also seriously considering returning mine for an 8+.
I have both the 8 Plus and the X and the wife doesn't want the 8 Plus. Both are on IUP.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Doesn't matter, all those reasons I listed holds true even if I was coming from a 6 Plus model. If I had the 6 Plus and itching to upgrade, I would go with the 8 Plus.

Sorry, I consider the 8 plus a mistake phone or an ,”Oops I did it again”, phone o”in the words of Britney. Sorry like many others I got tired of those damn huge bezels and huge clunky phone. Is it perfect, no and nothing is but suggesting the the 8 plus is a better choice is crazy. No way in hell is it. I would rather you try and Android than get a phone that has had the same boring design for the last 4 years.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
The good news is that the X is readily available everywhere. For those still on the fence like myself maybe spend some time with the display model before upgrading.

Reactions: Leonard1818

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Funny thing is you don’t need to pick up the phone to unlock it. I’m able to tap the screen and glance at the phone to unlock it. Actually I don’t even wait for the lock symbol to change. I just tap the screen and swipe up and I’m in. I’ll see the lock animation play as it heads to the home screen all in one motion.

Coming from a 7+ as well. The screen is more narrow, but I really like the form factor. Fits in the pocket and hand better. Granted I hated the size of the 7+ it was just to awkward to carry around and felt ridiculous to talk on to me. Everyone is different though.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Sorry, I consider the 8 plus a mistake phone or an ,”Oops I did it again”, phone o”in the words of Britney. Sorry like many others I got tired of those damn huge bezels and huge clunky phone. Is it perfect, no and nothing is but suggesting the the 8 plus is a better choice is crazy. No way in hell is it. I would rather you try and Android than get a phone that has had the same boring design for the last 4 years.

What can the X do better than the 8 Plus?

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
What can the X do better than the 8 Plus?

Good question. Inquiring minds of 8 Plus owners like myself would like to know.

It is very refreshing to say the least to read this and the other similar threads that have popped up... most of what people are complaining about are exactly why after 3 years of Plus phones I went with the 8 Plus over the X.

I am glad to hear that Face ID works good... I'll feel better about going for the X Plus next year. Outside of that I'm not sure what I'm missing... a gimmick known as animojis? An OLED that most people have said isn't a big difference over the LCD on the 8 Plus?

wongster41

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Funny thing is you don’t need to pick up the phone to unlock it. I’m able to tap the screen and glance at the phone to unlock it. Actually I don’t even wait for the lock symbol to change. I just tap the screen and swipe up and I’m in. I’ll see the lock animation play as it heads to the home screen all in one motion.

Coming from a 7+ as well. The screen is more narrow, but I really like the form factor. Fits in the pocket and hand better. Granted I hated the size of the 7+ it was just to awkward to carry around and felt ridiculous to talk on to me. Everyone is different though.

If you're able to unlock it by glancing it while the phone is laying flat on the desk, that's great and I'm glad it works for you. For me, face ID can't see my face, I either have to pick up the phone or move my face in front of it.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
1. Coming from an iPhone 7 Plus screen to the iPhone X screen is a downgrade, don't care what anyone says, everything is bigger on on my 7 Plus and 1080 resolution just fits everything nicely on the screen. The 1125 resolution is just weird, especially watching youtube videos because everything out there is 1080p. Not to mention my 7 Plus is brighter and more cool compared to the X oled screen and I perfer the cooler color. I'll wait for the iPhone X Plus if Apple ever decides to release it.

2. My phone is always on my desk and with touch ID, I can easily unlock the phone without picking it up and take a quick glance at notifications. I can't do that with the iPhone X, now I have to pick up the unit for face ID and swipe up, not convenient at all.

For paying $1200 w/ tax, I just wanted something that is better than my 7 Plus and I feel as though it's a step backwards for me due to the reasons above. If it works for you, that's great, I hope you continue enjoying your device, but this is definitely not for me. I really hope they release an iPhone X Plus with touch ID embedded into the screen.

Well I guess the good thing about opinions, we all have one. I too had the 7 plus and no way in hell would I step back to that phone. If you like it better than jump back to it. You don’t need us here to coddle you and help you feel better about your choices in life. The phone has only been out a day and a lot of apps haven’t even been optimized yet. I for one will give it the chance it needs because for me apple has no alternative better the that X. Yeah hopefully next year we will get an X Plus which is a little wider, but I’m loving the new form factor and gestures. Flicking apps closed is so satisfying lol. I love Face ID and think my wrist is going to thank me because holding the 7 plus for too long it would start getting pain because how heavily it felt. But to each his own.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
If you're able to unlock it by glancing it while the phone is laying flat on the desk, that's great and I'm glad it works for you. For me, face ID can't see my face, I either have to pick up the phone or move my face in front of it.

There a setting for that, you must have it set to only unlock if you looking dead on. Check out your settings.

Reactions: AJsAWiz

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
1. Coming from an iPhone 7 Plus screen to the iPhone X screen is a downgrade

I agree. The screen seems much smaller compared to the Plus devices.

I too, came from a 7 Plus device and after time I can notice the difference. And the devs that haven’t updated their apps makes it even more distinguishable.

But the positive side... I like the “feel” of the device compared to the 7 Plus. I’ve had Plus devices since the original 6 Plus and later the 6s Plus. Is this a major upgrade from the 7 Plus... I don’t know, I think I’d be perfectly fine with the 7 Plus.

But then again I’m a techie... I like having the latest and greatest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.