Returning my Nylon Apple Watch band. :(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Network33, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Network33 macrumors member

Network33

I just got the 42mm Pink Nylon Apple Watch band today, Ordered it on Monday. I'm returning it :(.

It looks cool and is super lightweight. The problem is the side with the Buckle is ridiculously hard to slide into the watch. It's even harder to remove it from the watch without feeling like I'm going to break the plastic lug or worse the watch. Even better is the long side with the holes will not lock into the watch, it just slips through. It's not my watch every other band I have will lock in on both sides (Sport, Apple Link, and Milanese loop).

Really disappointing, I also have the Scuba blue Nylon band on order, but looks like I'm gonna be canceling it before it ships.

2. Mac2me, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you are saying the adapter "buttons" are defective?...or to me sounds like they could have been inserted upside down on the band (your description sounds like what happened to me when my 3rd party adapter accidentally got put in upside down). Are all 3 buttons black on the top side of the straps? Others have been getting their bands with no installation problems. I wouldn't assume the scuba blue has the same issue. Can you post a photo for us? I'd love to see the pink band anyway. Thanks and sorry you have a problem with yours.

3. Network33 thread starter macrumors member

Network33

Yeah I can take a few pictures in a bit. I've already re-boxed it. I'll try and take a video of the band slipping through. I'm not installing it upside down, the bands have "42mm" on the Buckle side and woven nylon on the underside of the the other.

4. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Thanks, look forward to that.

BTW wasn't implying you were installing the straps upside down--figure you'd notice the buckle in the wrong direction, more like maybe the factory goofed up. To me sounds like either the adapter or straps on the assembly line got flipped upside down and inserted incorrectly into the other part.

5. Ticocg59 macrumors member

I got the nylon band today. If installed upside down it won't lock in place. (at least mine would not) Did it twice with both sides f the band.. Perfect fit when installed correctly.. I really like it , much more comfortable than the original bands.

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've noticed the same difficulty the OP described sliding the connectors in/out. Somewhat disappointing, but I'm keeping it anyways.

7. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Maybe just a defective band?

8. Network33 thread starter macrumors member

Network33

Here's a couple of videos showing the problem:

Apple Watch 42mm Pink Nylon won't lock (this also shows how much easier the sport band removes)

Apple Watch 42mm Pink Nylon buckle ridiculously hard too remove

I didn't have a chance to call Apple today to ether return or exchange the band for a working one. Not sure yet if I want to keep it.

9. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

That blows! I wonder why Apple didn't go with a metal attachment, and I wonder why the band isn't fitting well. One side seems too small because it keeps slipping out, the other seems too big because it gets wedged in there really tightly.

10. shiftywxm macrumors member

Had to send my Royal Blue nylon band back as well. It seems as if they have installed the centre locking pin the wrong way on the shorter portion of the band. Install it the wrong way around and it will lock in place!

I've requested a refund and will wait until it's sorted before ordering again.

11. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I'd like to have a look at those nylon bands IRL. Has anybody been to the Apple Store and knows if they're on display there?

12. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Seems that as tight as they fit the locking pin may not be required:eek:

13. dead_smed macrumors member

dead_smed

My 42mm Nylon Pearl isn't latching correctly leaving me worried that the watch might fall off. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing problems.

14. thewhitetower macrumors member

thewhitetower

Same issue with my Royal Blue nylon here in Aust. Just picked it up amd boy wasthe strap hard to get on!

Am glad that its not just me in a way....going back

15. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Disappointing, this band was about to make me cave into buying an Apple Watch despite my reservations about buying a first gen Apple Watch. Oh well.

16. SilentDoom macrumors member

Are the problems happening to a specific watch type, meaning sport or SS? In the end, the shouldn't matter, but!

17. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

My black nylon is a little stiff going in and out, but not nothing like the video posted. I'd rather it be tight than loose and wobble around.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Simply don't opt for a just released band that hasn't been tested in the real world. The first batch of the black sport bands and Space Black link bracelets had their own set of problems that have since been remedied.

19. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

DO you really think it's neccessary to wait for watch band V2? I think this is something where it is reasonably safe to assume they got it right.

I did buy a 3rd party band back in Feb. and at first try it did not seem to want to stay in but after installing/uninstalling a few times it works great now.

....and UPS just came to the door with my black nylon band! It looks great and went into the watch flawlessly!

20. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

lol. Everyone wait until we have a 3rd iteration of a watch band to make extra extra sure!!

Apple is probably the best in the consumer market in customer service. You want something from them, buy it. Their returns are hassle free, an excellent experience, and like with any product in the world there will be some duds. Expect to find more duds in this forum versus the real world because guess what, we love complaining on forums!!

21. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

This thread is going to be very misleading to those buying this band. I just received mine in the mail and while I agree its a little stiff (at first) going in, taking out isn't that difficult at all. In fact after a few band swaps to test out, the nylon band works just fine.

I have the SS model however so maybe it'll only effect the aluminum models?

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I was simply addressing the poster's concern regarding getting a first generation product. There are many band choices to choose from if people don't want to deal with any potential issues associated with a newly released product. Many of us are able to handle them should they crop up as we can simply swap out as needed.

23. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Sure but Apple has made watch bands before already. I think he's dealing with a one off (or rare at least) defect. Take it to Apple, show them the problem and they will no doubt exchange it on the spot. My new black nylon worked perfectly today.

24. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Yikes. Thanks for the video. If I go into a store to buy one I will definitely take it out in the store and install it there before leaving just in case.

Out of curiousity did you try inserting the band flipped over to see if it fit better? One thing I noticed about the 4 sport bands I have and the one Classic (gens 1 and 2) is that they all have a silver metal button on the middle bottom side. Not sure from your video but do you have that on yours? Same question for others out there with the new woven band. The silver button is flat on the underside not bumped like the upper side one. If you push the middle button down on the upper side do you see the flat side button move downwards?

Thinking either a manufacturing issue or an assembly issue here. Possibly some that were done wrong and then the mistake was caught which would explain my some are ok installing and others not. If you like the band color and the feel of it (I know people have said it's a very nice light weight feel), I'd definitely get a replacement.

25. Network33 thread starter macrumors member

Network33

I'm not trying to mislead anyone. This was my experience. I totally encourage you to buy the Nylon band if you want one. I was just completely disappointed that I never got to use it.