Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chillip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Been using my series 2 for a few days and just can't justify the price for upgrading to the series 2. I'm not really using any of the new features and don't like the thicker frame. Yes it's faster and brighter screen but just think my series 0 does 99% of my the series 2 does and I can save £400. Will see what the next gen offers next year.

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
The majority of us with the pilot watch didn't upgrade at all for that reason. The new one is a fantastic watch, and it solved a few major issues with the one we started with. It is a good price for a first purchase. It is not worth the upgrade without some kind of trade in. I don't think they are expecting upgrades yet. Probably in 2018 is my guess

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
These were my thoughts as well. I own the First Gen Watch in Stainless. I was considering upgrading to the Gen 2 Stainless, but to me, its more of spending the money on the exact same Watch, with the exception of the water resistance, screen brightness and GPS. I can't justify the price point for the exact same design.

When Apple can offer a Redsign and a round variant, I will likely purchase both models. My Stainless Watch will easily hold out until 2018. And Watch OS3 has been great.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
This is the thing

Features

If you aren't using the main features like GPS and being able to use it for swimming then it isn't worth it

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you aren't using the main features like GPS and being able to use it for swimming then it isn't worth it

I know I'd use the gps, but not the swimming.

Just waiting until the Nike Watch becomes available before deciding whether to upgrade. I did stick to the aluminum, partly because I thought I might want to upgrade to the second gen, so didn't want to shell out extra money for a steel watch I might only keep for a year. Another reason for going aluminum was I liked the space grey color.

as4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Series 2 is very tempting. I run a lot so the GPS would be nice. However like everyone else I can't justify the cost. Currently have a SS watch. Maybe if Best Buy did a trade in special...

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
See now I bought a SS series 2 and am starting to think I will also keep my SG series 0 for when I'm doing rough and dirty activities and for sleep tracking! I love the s2 and not sure it's worth the hassle of selling the s0.

Reactions: BarredOwl

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
See now I bought a SS series 2 and am starting to think I will also keep my SG series 0 for when I'm doing rough and dirty activities and for sleep tracking! I love the s2 and not sure it's worth the hassle of selling the s0.

A first world solution to be sure, but using a S0 watch for rough stuff, or sleep tracking, is an interesting thought.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I thought the thickness increase was imperceptible.

I got the series two because I never owned a series one (wife does and I've tried it). I felt I wanted those few features (namely gps) to make it a worthy expenditure.

In happy to have gotten her sport model upgraded to stainless. Sold her sport for $180 and paid $250 out the door for stainless. Wish I could have found a stainless with the nicer bands for the price but they were sold out (beggars can't be choosers, right?) Thank you Best Buy!
[doublepost=1474743535][/doublepost]
Series 2 is very tempting. I run a lot so the GPS would be nice. However like everyone else I can't justify the cost. Currently have a SS watch. Maybe if Best Buy did a trade in special...
As of last week they were offering $150 trade in. I don't know if it how it varies by model.

Last edited:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I hardly use my first gen for anything other than notifications. How's the speed of apps in the new Watch? Does it make you want to use the apps or they feel clumsy still?

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I hardly use my first gen for anything other than notifications. How's the speed of apps in the new Watch? Does it make you want to use the apps or they feel clumsy still?

I just sold my day zero space black steel watch last week, when Friday the 16th came. But sometimes it sucks to be a small market as we are in Denmark. Apple just said new models won't be available before start November. Wtf?

Tiskers

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
PA
I am loving Watch OS 3! And if someone gave me a new Series 2 watch sure, I'd take it and be very happy and grateful!

But since that ain't happenin' ;) and I'm still perfectly content with my SS/milanese loop gen 1 watch... I too will be passing. Great new features though!

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
I'm keeping my series 0 for now. I always have my phone with me so gps is not a major point and its lacking barometer.

Swimming is to expensive where I live so it wouldn't be used more than two times per year.

More battery and faster chip would be great but my current watch works fine for what I use it for.

If they had added features like sleep tracking and sensors for blood oxygen level, UV exposure and temperature I would've been all over it.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Been using my series 2 for a few days and just can't justify the price for upgrading to the series 2. I'm not really using any of the new features and don't like the thicker frame. Yes it's faster and brighter screen but just think my series 0 does 99% of my the series 2 does and I can save £400. Will see what the next gen offers next year.

I agree

However, personally I always regretted my 38MM so a big factor for me was to get the 42mm this time around.

the series 2 42mm is a big upgrade to me purely on the screen.

The screen in direct sunlight is excellent too and I really appreciate this.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I'm actually regretting my purchase. I loved my original AW so I rushed to sell it in readiness for the AW2. Now that I have it I feel I've splurged £399 unnecessarily. Granted I'm happy with the looks (got gold this time), but If I still had my original AW I would have probably sent the AW2 back. I'm not really noticing the speed increase or the brighter screen even though I'm sure they are notiable side by side. Plus the prices in the UK have increased to the point now where I'm on the verge of no longer justifying these expensive toys year on year.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
I'm actually regretting my purchase. I loved my original AW so I rushed to sell it in readiness for the AW2. Now that I have it I feel I've splurged £399 unnecessarily. Granted I'm happy with the looks (got gold this time), but If I still had my original AW I would have probably sent the AW2 back. I'm not really noticing the speed increase or the brighter screen even though I'm sure they are notiable side by side. Plus the prices in the UK have increased to the point now where I'm on the verge of no longer justifying these expensive toys year on year.

The screen brightness is only noticeable in sun light - it really is there though.

Before I parted with my gen1, I did loads of speed comparisons and could not categorically say the s2 was faster tbh.

Agree on the prices, apple are getting so greedy nowadays.

I got the iPhone 7 too and feel short changed with the 32gb model for near the same price as 64gb last year.
However, I'm glad I upgraded from 6s because it feels much more refined and I think the colours on screen are impressive.

I will plan to keep this watch for 2 years this time because I finally have the 42mm and intend to invest in some decent bands.

Also have to point out that the price increase on iPads is ridiculous- £50 extra for the base pro 9.7 model compared to two weeks ago. There is absolutely no chance it suddenly started costing apple £50 more to produce - it's not made of gold!

Reactions: xDKP

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I bought a first gen when it was on sale at Best Buy a week prior to series 1/2 release. After playing with a series 1 in the Apple Store I noticed that my crown did not have that nice click feel to it so I decided just to spend the extra $80 for a series 1. While the watch is smoother on the app launcher screen it's not noticeably faster unless you have a first gen and series 1 side by side. But heck, it was just $80 to upgrade.
For those that invested months ago and bought in when the prices were much higher I don't see any reason to get a series 1 just because it has a faster processor. And I don't see a reason to get a series 2 if you don't use the GPS and swimming features.
I would have been fine with the cheaper first gen but for me it was only $80. For someone that already has a stainless steel model you're talking hundreds of dollars. And the resale value on those models shot to crap.

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I bought the aluminium sport originally and have been very happy with it although it's seemed really slow todo basic stuff like open the activity app recently (WatchOS3 hasn't really helped much). I think I'd be pretty tempted by Series 2 to get a different look (the stainless steel does seem a bit too smart to me but it'd be a nice change) but I don't want to end up with two white sport straps and I already have one (and a Milanese loop). If it came strap free or with a new strap colour that I liked (the new blue would do it) I'd be sorely tempted.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I am loving Watch OS 3! And if someone gave me a new Series 2 watch sure, I'd take it and be very happy and grateful!

But since that ain't happenin' ;) and I'm still perfectly content with my SS/milanese loop gen 1 watch... I too will be passing. Great new features though!

Ain't that great? Gen 1 has a new life with OS 3 and we aren't forced to upgraded by Apple. In fact, I can't remember when my watch has been this good since purchasing.

With OS 3 I could use my SS Gen 1 as a watch for as long as battery functions.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
The only reason I upgraded was because of the ceramic edition. As soon as I saw it, I really really wanted it. I have kept my SS first gen for a change up if I want. The Ceramic is not as versatile as the SS, so I will be keeping it around for bands that just don't work with Ceramic. If it has not been for the new material, I would not have upgraded. While the screen is a nice upgrade, it does not add enough value for me to want to shell money money I did out. Again it was just that Ceramic that me. It amazing looking.

Niacchus

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2015
Im really happy with the upgrade from Series 0 to Series 2. But I think to me its also because I went from 38mm (all I could get on launch day for Series 0) to 42mm (which fits me better) so enjoying the larger size. I like to swim as well so that feature as well as the brighter screen are positives.

chillip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Mine went back today. No regrets. If the uk price was ever to fall then I may reconsider but in the uk it's not worth the cost to upgrade from series 0 to 2.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The high price, coupled with the meager new feature list really give me pause in upgrading to the newer model.

GPS, and the brighter screen are probably the two features that would tempt me. While, I'm an avid runner, my routes are static enough that I really don't need a GPS while I run. While it sounds like I'm justifying the series 0, its more of a realization that I was able to enjoy running long before the existence of smart watches.

The nerd inside of me, of course wants the latest tech toys, but I can't see myself spending 369 for something that doesn't offer me that much new features.

Reactions: Laserducky

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Was able to try out the Nike band at an Apple Store yesterday, and that band is definitely going to fit me better than the regular sports band. So new band plus GPS does it for me. I'm enjoying the route tracking feature in Watch OS3, and will enjoy it more when I can leave my iPhone at home while I go walk in the park. So I'll be getting a Nike watch when it becomes available.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The high price, coupled with the meager new feature list really give me pause in upgrading to the newer model.

Well, the price has always been high. I think the leading feature for me is the fact it has a second mic to improve on dictation and using Siri.

With Series 0, I often had to repeat myself or it doesn't register at all with the mic. One thing that I was under the impression on was GPS could be used for Maps with Series 2... meaning getting a much quicker view in location. I know on my iPad that has GPS... it gives a quicker view to my location. Maybe it's more to do with processing power than the GPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.