Returning to Leopard, sadly

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Simon Young, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Simon Young macrumors member

It's with some trepidation that I've decided to return to Leopard. For all its great points, Snow Leopard is just too buggy right now for day-to-day use. Even after a clean install (several clean installs, actually) the Finder is still laggy, mouse performance is unreliable when FW800 drives are connected, setting '.mov' files to open with QuickTime Player 7 results in all their icons breaking - I could go on, but these few flaws are enough to disrupt me from my video editing work.

I'm sure the creases will be ironed out in time, but I can't live with an OS (no matter how technically refined) that doesn't behave correctly under the most BASIC circumstances. In fact, I can't think of a single thing I'll miss about SL, apart from maybe the new wallpapers and the fact that Mail now auto sets up MobileMe accounts correctly.

Anyone else feel the same way?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

No, but I didn't jump to a 10.x.0 release on a production machine.

I have had no issues with "Basic" tasks on my non-production machines.

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

My iMac isn't so mission critical to me so I can live with the bugs for now.

The only real issue I have at the moment is that Firefox crashes whenever I click on the Help menu at the top. No other major issues so far but the little things that let it down are vastly outweighed by the speed improvements (for me at least).

At least you can give it another go when 10.6.1 is released! :)

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

Exactly why you don't put initial releases onto production, i'm still on 10.5.7 on my work MB.

5. nos macrumors member

On my macbook pro 13inch 2009 everything works as it should, in 64bit and a WHOLE lot faster than in Leopard.

6. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Yes - some parts are a bit buggy but i dont think it'll be long before apple release 10.6.1 to fix most of the issues.

Just stick with it for a bit.

Almost all new OS's have a few teething problems

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Hey, I just noticed I have that problem too now that you point it out. Other than that though, I don't really have any problems to speak of. I didn't even do a clean install and it's noticeably faster than Leopard at basic functions.

8. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm switching back also...

but I have a backed up/cloned copy of my Leopard so its an easy reinstall.

I don't have much bad things to say about snow leopard, except i just feel there's still a few bugs that needs to be worked out before its prime time for a production/main machine.

For some reason, in SL, I'm getting random crashes from Finder, Activity Monitor and other Apple Products (Mail, iChat) for no apparent reason. Logs just say it hung and crashed. I'm guessing 10.6.1 would fix most of these... until then, time for Leopard.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No issues here at all. I have a 24" iMac, a Macbook Pro 13" and a white Macbook. Installed SL on all of them from a clean install and no issues period. All my software works perfectly and no bugs. I'm doing doing this "psuedo" clean install that others are doing. Many people are saying that are doing a clean install when it fact they are erasing and reformatting but then they are restoring from Time Machine backup or a cloned drive. All that does is bring back the baggage to your new SL install.
    I decided to manually install my apps so none of the hidden files in Leopard corrupt my install of SL and I recommend that to everyone.

If you say you don't have time to do all of that, MAKE TIME. Your computer is important for whatever you are doing with it, you only have to do this once.

10. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

thats why i havent completely upgrade to SL. im still running leopard on my internal drive which runs perfect. i installed SL onto an external drive. that way i can test with any application compatibility issue and any bugs without screwing up my internal hdd. So far its been running well with SL, no kinks at all. i will keep running this way until most of the bugs get iron out.

do anyone know if i can load my external drive under vmware fusion? that way i can run both OS at the same time while testing SL?

thanks!

11. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I couldnt be bothered to go back to leopard now.

Unless something drastic happens to my SL install then i'll be staying put

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Count me among the folks who went back to Leopard.

While I didn't find it "buggy." I was unable to use my printer, and that's a show stopper for me. Based on my searches on the net, it seems that Canon is going to release a new set of drivers late september, early october. Right now, my Canon P9000 MKII just doesn't work so its back to 10.5 for me.

13. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Let me preface this by saying this isn't an insult or accusation - but why didn't more people just decide to wait until 10.6.1 or 10.6.2?

At least for me, and as far as I know, SL doesn't have something I desperately or urgently need such that I would try to be the first one to install it. Why not just wait the 3-6 weeks for Apple to fix the bugs and then buy SL?

I've always found that with OSs it pays to wait - and with hardware it does too (learned my lesson a few times, with speed and price refreshes not long after I buy a iBook/PowerBook/MacBook).

To be fair, I actually did purchase the DVD, but it's sitting on my shelf for the time-being...

14. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Agreed. I too am one of those "waiters" :p. I am also going to pick up the DVD when I head down to the Apple Store. But I will not install. :)

15. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

If Apple released Aperture 3 the same day and made SL a requirement, I'd be in a hurry to update my computer!

16. Keleko macrumors 68000

I decided to jump on the 10.6.0 release. I made a clone of my drive before doing so just in case something broke that I needed. However, it has been pretty smooth so far. Only one program is actually broken, and I'm not using it right now anyway. The developer is working on a new release with compatibility, and I could get a prerelease if I really needed it. Everything else works just fine for me, so I'm staying.

17. RMXO macrumors 6502a

You might want to see if this thread helps you to get your printer to work properly.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=774775&highlight=canon

18. david803sc macrumors member

david803sc

With such serious problems, after a clean install it makes me think you have a hardware problem, I would get it checked out, get a program that can analyze your hardware like TechToolPro.

Also check the Apple website for any firmware updates.

You might have a bad memory chip or something like that.

David

19. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Hard to call SL an "initial release." If they called it 10.5.9 or 10.5.10 you would have installed it on your "production" Mac?

20. yoppie macrumors 6502a

No. I have a few apps that are not working properly but none of them are mission critical. As long as MS Office and a web browser is available...I'm good for school/work.

21. faxao macrumors regular

My iMac and my MBA

are running great on Leopard....I will upgrade to Snow Leopard as soon as Nikon will release the SL versions of Capture NX2 and Nikon View that I use for post-productions of my NEF files ;)

22. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

I put snow on my Mini Mac media server and now i am having issues with PLEX freezing and having to force quit all the time which makes my sound stop working and have to reboot. I will be waiting a few months before I upgrade my main computer with SL.

23. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

I feel for people who encounter issues with recent OS releases. FWIW: Vista is why I switched to Mac in the first place--and I'm never looking back.

On the other hand, for those who are following along:

- My firefox doesn't crash when I click help.
    - My Canon MP620 works fine over wireless.
    - My MBP boots into 64bit; however, Parallels doesn't work when I use the 64bit kernel, and my understanding is the 64bit kernel doesn't buy anything in terms of speed anyway.
    - I've seen a bunch of issues with QT, but VLC works great. So I'm not wrapped up about the QT issues.

The net of all of this: I'm sure SL has created issues for people, but rest assured, for others, it works perfectly.

BTW: Here's an easter egg for those that read this far. I use terminal all the time, and I hoped SL would improve the long delay between launching and being able to type. It didn't. I searched high and low for an answer, and tried several different suggestions including wiping out log files--none of it worked. What did work is under terminal preferences changing Shells open with from login shell to /bin/bash. Terminal is ready for input as fast as I can open it now.

Anyway, I hope the OP and others having problems get sorted out with .1

J

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

thank but I have. In fact I tried every conceivable combination, but enoughs enough. Apple/Canon needs to get some updated drivers that work before I take the plunge. I wasted an entire weekend, installing/configuring/restoring so I'm a little tired of doing it and I'll sit and wait until those new drivers are released.

25. kolax macrumors G3

I'm finding it a bit sluggish now too (from a clean install). And Safari beachballs frequently when loading a large webpage with lots of images (i.e. Facebook). It does feel stable - I haven't had a crash yet. But it just feels sluggish.

Also I'm pretty sure my trackpad isn't as responsive either - I'm having to tap twice sometimes.

We'll see what 10.6.1 does.. I'm pretty sure we'll see that around October/November.