Rev 2 Aluminium MacBooks and Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andylyon, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. andylyon macrumors 6502a

    andylyon

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #1
    Hi,

    I am wanting to buy an Alu MacBook but am waiting until Snow Leopard arrives to save me money in the long term.

    I also would prefer (not vital) to have a Rev 2 Alu MacBook, so they iron out any bugs the 1st Rev products may have had. When Snow Leopard is released are they likely to also release a Rev 2 product. Not as in speed bumps just as in bugs ironed out. Hope this makes sense.

    Cheers,
    AnDy
     
  2. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #2
    What bugs are you talking about? I'm pretty sure everything got smoother with firmware updates and new drivers from NVidia, for instance.
    The two things are independent, IMO, the rev2(or B) coming a bit sooner than Snow Leopard. So, if waiting for 10.6, which would be about 130$, is worth more than enjoying your Mac, I guess you just have to wait for it.
     
  3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #3
    The only real problems with the new aluminum unibody MB is the battery compartment alignment issue and the very cheaply designed keyboard in which the keys are not straight and even with one another.

    I think Apple may come up with a battery compartment cover change of the latch or something. I think the misaligned and uneven keyboard, we are stuck with low quality control.

    As far as the next speed bump updated, I expect to see something within three months. I haven't heard any new Snow Leopard release rumors, but last I read was late first quarter to early second quarter. However, the more concrete time table was set by Jobs last year at WWDC, I think; that time is June/July 2009.

    If Apple decides to go back with FireWire ever in a new MB, I think it will happen right now with its next speed bump update. I think if Apple ignores it now, it will have made up its mind for good on the issue.

    My guess, by waiting two or three months, you may get a new aluminum MB with a slightly faster CPU, maybe a different latch for the battery compartment, and very possibly Snow Leopard.

    Really, the first revision after a new design change is generally the most innovative and solidly engineered product when it comes to Apple products. Think MBA and revised. Think iPhone and iPhone 3G. Seen many like those examples in the past. So, the next MB, using the aluminum unibody design, should be a perfect machine...
     
  4. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

    andylyon

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #4
    That's what i'm hoping, can just about afford one now, but would rather wait for perfection lol!

    AnDy
     
  5. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #5
    My MacBook doesn't have any crooked keys nor is my battery cover loose.

    Now is good time to buy. What happens if they delay Snow Leopard by 6 months like they did with Leopard? Would you keep waiting?
     
  6. hwmbrogden macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    #6
    I agree with this post. I'm sure there would be a louder uproar if these problems were with all of the new MacBooks. Don't wait. I know I am not.
     
  7. marbles macrumors 68000

    marbles

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Location:
    EU mostly
    #7
    Was thinking the same thing myself Andy, some of us who buy Macs are not millionaires and have to be careful not to get stuck with sub par machinery ok , I'm being a bit sarcastic but a lot of folks don't care enough to really examine their purchase in this throw away society , if your like me and watch what you buy and its quality closely.......

    Snow Leopard will not retail for more than about 70£ so not that expensive really, revision two is always worth the wait with any product(especially Apples!) but the thing is they do make adjustments to manufacture along the way(like any company) so I'd say a good few of the 'bugs' have been ironed out now anyway, what I suggest is to compile a list of the bugs for the machine you are thinking of getting, then research them to find out if machines being manufactured and shipped have been cleared of said 'bug' .
    There is a site somewhere (sorry forgotten name) that has the week of manufacture and bugs associated and if it's been fixed or not ....I'm sure someone will know which I mean an post a link for you.I'll edit this post if I remember.

    Research and a keen eye is the key to buying a decent working Apple machine with no major problems .

    you've a couple of good points, like the firewire being put back in (possibly)and the battery latch change ...oh and the low quality control but did you forget the screen flicker , bent/ scratched cases, etc etc etc

    Seriously though what made me laugh long hard and loud was that you said the first revision is the most solid :rolleyes:
     
  8. carfac macrumors 65816

    carfac

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2006
    #8
    I would recommend waiting until revision 3 to fix the revision 2 bugs. But from what I hear, the rev 3 bugs are nasty- including the new NVidea bug... so 4 is the way to go.

    By then, OS 10.7 Cheetah will be in beta, so you should wait for that.

    But don't get that until it is at LEAST 10.7.2.

    By then, the SSD Macbook with firewire3 will just about be out- wait for that.

    oh, but maybe you could use the 4 core macbook.. you should wait.

    ****, just buy the ****ing thing already. Or don't.
     
  9. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

    Patriks7

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #9
    Nicely said :p People don't seem to realize that there will always be something to wait for and some kind of bugs :confused:
     
  10. iSimx macrumors 6502

    iSimx

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    #10
    I'm in the same situation, wanting a macbook pro but wanted to wait till later this year because of a possible new revision and snow leopard. I've ended up deciding to purchase one now as first, there's no such thing as perfect, secondly you can never keep up. Nothing is future proof. I've decided to purchase the base model macbook pro for £1165 and pay for snow leopard £57 (with a discount), later this year. But I recommend purchasing it now.
     
  11. couto27 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    Location:
    lisboa,portugal
    #11
    why wait

    why wait , why not enjoy a new macbook now.
    since i got mine mbp i use it every single day.:)
    problems ?never had , these machine are made to stay on since the first day.
    since i bought it i get a new backpack a new see thru case , and next month will be a intel ssd.:D
    save money?its easy ,smoke less, drink less, drive less , use the underground.:)
     
  12. marbles macrumors 68000

    marbles

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Location:
    EU mostly
    #12
    Thats a tidy discount£1165 for a MBP , may I ask which discount it is


    ~m
     
  13. iSimx macrumors 6502

    iSimx

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
  14. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    #14
    I would wait because if you can wait 2 or 3 months. I am going to wait for rev2 and snow leopard unless it is delayed 6 months like leopard was

    I have my PowerBook until then so I am ok
     
  15. j5045096 Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    #15
    I don't see Apple adding firewire back to the MB. I too was mad like everybody else that it was taken out, but for Apple to put it back in means they have a whole lot of angry people on their hands and they'll have essentially admitted to a mistake. I don't see it happening. It is a bummer because like all of Apple's products there was usually a lower priced version that still included the technology of the higher priced item (i.e. an 8gb iPhone vs. the expensive 16gb - you still got all the same technology; the MacBook had firewire and some other stuff that was on the Pro; the iMac 20" still had a huge screen and tons of technology that the high end 24" iMac had) but apparently Apple wanted to get away from that. I don't know. I just don't see them adding Firewire back to the MB. That form factor is going to ride out for another 3 years with some minor speed bumps along the way and nothing else, just like the plastic MacBook hasn't changed (other than speed bumps and then the most recent graphics bump).
     
  16. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

    iTzChasE

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2008
    #16
    Exactly. I could not have said it better.

    OP, just buy it now. Unless you just want to sit around, wishing you had one.
     
  17. marbles macrumors 68000

    marbles

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Location:
    EU mostly
    #17
    thanks

    nice, not a bad discount that really
     
  18. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

    PuckDaddy

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #18
    from what I've read, RevisonC is the one you might want to wait for (Q4 2009), when they start putting Nehalem's in. by then, SnLprd will be probably 10.2 maybe 10.3

    if you HAVE to have something right this very instant, as in your only computing device was stolen, jumped out of an airplane, destroyed in a campfire, or is sitting in the bottom of your swimming pool,.... I'd suggest the "Whitebook", which can be had for $919
     
  19. marbles macrumors 68000

    marbles

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Location:
    EU mostly
    #19
    I can't work out if your being sarcastic or for real, surely no one thinks the aluminium notebooks will be updated anytime soon? May at the earliest for MB & MBP imho
    Whitebook is best option though right now but if you need the pro then.....
     
  20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #20
    I'm thinking around May for a speed bump and HD increase. The whiteBook may not be updated then.

    Or, it's late this year with Arrandale (less likely, more likely as next next update).
     
  21. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #21
    I didn't say the first version of a new style, I said the first REVISION. That means after the first version is released and it has problems, the revisions are the corrections made on the second release of same model. I believe Apple is very good at design but makes mistakes which are corrected on the first revision which is the second of the same model. I still stand by that.
     
  22. marbles macrumors 68000

    marbles

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Location:
    EU mostly
    #22
    my bad, sorry :eek:
     
  23. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #23
    It's going on 4.5 months since the unibody MBs/MBPs were introduced. I think that people should wait. Apple updates notebook about every six months on average. I think with Apple's model of two updates annually, you get the best buy as close to release as possible. Toward the end, like now, you're getting 4.5 month old technology for the same price that it cost when released. So waiting a month or two the new model will be updated CPU, possibly graphics or RAM, and other possible speed bump changes usually at same price. With this model, people should buy right when releases are made if they can wait.
     
  24. marbles macrumors 68000

    marbles

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Location:
    EU mostly
    #24
    True, true , personally I'm desperate for a new Mac and have been holding off for the Mini for ages now , this G3 is really starting to piss me off . It needs retiring to the attic room as a DVD player .

    I was going to just give up the wait and cave in , buy the whitebook and be done waiting for the Mini , not now though , m u s t_ b e_ s t r o n g

    Please Apple if your reading this , help out old marbles will you? Release the Mini asap and then the new books mid March , I'll be a happy camper for sure, cash waiting !:)
     
  25. andylyon thread starter macrumors 6502a

    andylyon

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #25
    Cheers for all the replies. I think I will defo wait for Snow Leopard. If I really needed it now I would obviously buy now. But I have a computer i'm happy with for at least a few more months.

    I was more bothered about Snow Leopard rather than the minor bugs if any, I don't want to buy and then a couple of weeks later fork out another few quid for the newer operating system.

    Some may think that's stupid but it's my choice and i;m sure a few will agree with what i'm doing. Obviously there will be people who disagree, mainly those that they are ALWAYS right.

    AnDy
     

Share This Page