Revamp iOS Someday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvanCooper93, Feb 27, 2011.

1. EvanCooper93 macrumors member

We've pretty much had the same layout for the iPhone for around 4 years now. I was just wondering if Apple's going to revamp the whole OS at one point or not. If they do, they could put in a feature where you can change it from the new one to the classic one, but I'm mainly just asking if Apple is planning on doing that at any point. Thanks!

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

I think that all we have are rumors. I don't believe there has been any credible rumors about an interface change, and anyway there is no beta for developers to dig through and find clues about Apple's next iOS version.

People are hoping for notification changes and widgets, but there are a lot of threads on these topics..

What would you want changed?

If you're just looking for something different, I'd recommend Winterboard, but that requires a Jailbreak and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's very unfamiliar with the process..

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Will they eventually completely overhaul OSX? Yes. Anytime soon? Probably not.

Same goes for iOS.

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It does??? Damn, that means IOS6 will be terrific!! :eek:

How do people dream up this stuff? :confused:

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I doubt they are going to completely change anything. At least for a very, very long time.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I agree with that...Apples motto seems to be if it aint broke don't fix it.

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I believe a notification system will come with iOS 5. I'd be surprised if they didn't come out with a new one. As for a complete redesign. I highly doubt it. Apple is by far the best selling phone company. It destroys every other company. They make ONE phone per year, while other companies have a new phone coming out every other week. I don't think Apple would change something that they are so successful with. In the future I could see a change, but as for now. Expect the same old with new features.

9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Apple is going to have to do more than a notification update to keep the wolves away (because they aren't going to give us a larger screen).

They'll have to at least give us Widgets on the Lock screen and Themes to keep the OS even remotely fresh.

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And that's a damn good motto. I'm all for improvements, but don't really desire a total revamp anytime soon.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Hopefully apple doesn't play it safe and try to milk a few more years out of iOS. In light of the competition, they need to continue to innovate or their OS will look dated and uncool.

As it stands, iPhones certainly have a coolness factor and while the specs of the iPhone are sub par to many (most?) of the android based phones. People still flock to them because in part they're the device to have. If apple just sits on its laurels someone else will creep up behind them.

Sony was on top of the world with the walkman, now look where they are.

12. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

A better notification system and widgets need to happen asap. Pretty bad when my 2 year old htc touch pro II has widgets on the lock screen.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If the top reasons for a revamp is widgets and notifications, then the iOS is far from needing a revamp. I don't think the addition of widgets and notifications classifies as a revamp. The term "revamp" is being used too loosely, otherwise you can say it's already been revamped a couple of times.

14. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I personally don't think it needs it.

Does it need a few additions (as mentioned above)? Sure.

With Android coming in strong and sharing a similar layout you find a few things missing when you compare them, but overall I think for an OS it's a very simple but effective design.

If they just tweak a few things to be a more efficient OS it will be even better.

Computer I love the design bells and whistles.
    Mobile Device (iPod, iPad, iPhone) I like clean, effective, and doesn't destroy my resources.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

iOS doesn't need a complete revamp, but you have to admit that it is getting stale. Android tries too hard to imitate Apple and looks like a cheap and laggy rip-off. At least Honeycomb looks different than previous software. But with Apple remaining stagnant and their limited ability to release one phone per year, they look like they are also just catching up and copying Android as well. Hardware-wise, Android will always have the advantage in form factors and quicker releases from their many OEMs. Bigger screen, OLED, better notification, faster CPU, widgets, touch gesture unlock, ability to use phone as a credit card, etc. All those are now featured in Android. They are just adding each other's features. I wished Google creates an augmented reality app when we travel since they have so much of the world's information. Both iOS and Android are just a cluttered mess of app consumption right now when 75% of most of them probably don't get used at all or anymore. At some point, real innovation dies and imitation or rehashing lives on. It has worked for Nintendo.

16. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I would like an update to the interface but like a few have said above an overhaul of the notification system would be much better!

17. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

What's a Sony? It sounds like some bland, unappealing food.