Revamped Apple Maps App Expanding to UK, Ireland, and Canada Later This Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced its revamped Maps app will be expanding to the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada later this year.

The updated Maps interface features richer landscape details such as roads, parking lots, parks, buildings, airports, and more. To obtain its mapping data, Apple utilizes its own vehicles equipped with LiDAR sensors and cameras.

Apple had been working for over a year to complete the rollout of the new Maps app in United States, which concluded in January with the expansion of Southeast and Central United States.

Aside from this, Apple in iOS 14 is adding guides to places of interest, dedicated cycle routes, and more to the Maps app.

Article Link: Revamped Apple Maps App Expanding to UK, Ireland, and Canada Later This Year

Last edited:

Mdracer

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2016
I have been happy with the latest update to Maps but finding boutique stores and hiking locations has been too slow. I’d love to see a little crowd sourcing help in this regard.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
I don’t understand how they implemented ‘collections’ on iOS and it didn’t work with macOS. The mind boggles at the lack of cohesion. Good to see that’s now fixed.

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
Yes!! I seen the vans going around last year, I drove behind one of them with Apple maps on the sides. I guess it’s one good thing about Apple have their European headquarters in Ireland!! New features first! :)
I’ll be interested - hope it’s good enough to be my default on CarPlay rather than clicking into Google Maps.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
This is certainly welcome news. Will this include Look Around? We don't have it in Toronto yet. Is it available anywhere outside US?

Terrinb

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
I like Apple Maps and , but how about the feature to let me know I’m speeding? That is a pretty basic shortcoming. Apple also has a patent on Waze like user input so it would be nice to know about accidents and speed traps.

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
As someone who used to work for a map publisher, its slightly insane that we now expect highly detailed, always up-to-date, street level mapping of the entire world, for free, in our pocket.
I do not see your point, Google does it, Waze does it, HERE, TomTom, etc. - all of them keep on evolving their products. I live in one of the most tourist-visited countries on the planet (France) and Apple Maps have been pretty much stuck here over the last year. It is not that Apple lack resources or technology to do it (as it has already rolled out across the US), they just need to speed their wider roll out up.

Reactions: Hawk999

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I remember seeing an Apple van mapping our local area a while back. This has taken its time.

lost-again

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2014
As someone who used to work for a map publisher, its slightly insane that we now expect highly detailed, always up-to-date, street level mapping of the entire world, for free, in our pocket.
Its not free. We pay with our privacy.

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I'm sure this is wonderful in the US, but for the rest of the world, the navigation is garbage.

I've tried to use this so many times in CarPlay but it's utterly useless. Only yesterday, it tried to get me to drive through a billboard and down a dirt path just behind it. I don't know about you, but I'm thinking a 5 series is going to struggle with that and my insurance won't cover it.

Google Maps is simply far more refined, accurate and just works. Plus it now has speed cameras (which is lovely), and road speeds.

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
They need to get better traffic info. Google has Waze which obviously helps but I find Apple Maps utterly useless at predicting journey times due to traffic and working around it. Waze and Google Maps get it spot on.

If I want to get there, Apple Maps will get me there. If I want to get there fast, I go to Waze.

DamoTheBrave

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
Bicycle paths though!!!!
Only in a few cities but hopefully they take global rollouts more seriously than they have in the past.

aleksander

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
I do not see your point, Google does it, Waze does it, HERE, TomTom, etc. - all of them keep on evolving their products. I live in one of the most tourist-visited countries on the planet (France) and Apple Maps have been pretty much stuck here over the last year. It is not that Apple lack resources or technology to do it (as it has already rolled out across the US), they just need to speed their wider roll out up.
It's right there, called OpenStreetMaps that is 100x better source of local information than Apple Maps, especially in countries outside Apple's top markets. Is Apple too proud to use it? After moving out from UK where AM were OK to a Central European country, I've never used AM to find stuff, just for navigation on major roads. The amount of data missing from Apple Maps here is staggering and quite frankly embarrassing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.