Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
When I typed my first message no. But now that you suggested it, I switched to satellite view and there’s a 2D/3D switch button under the Info and Location arrow, on the top right corner. Is that it?

Also, previously I used to see just a blue dot to represent my position. Now, when I zoom in, this blue dot transforms into a bigger translucent blue circle. I guess I already have the new maps, thank you.

EDIT: No 3D option for regular maps, just for the satellite view.

That's what I'm seeing in Murcia too...

Reactions: Populus

RaulMRamos

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
Portugal
there is no such thing as original portuguese or brazilian. they both are the same language: portuguese. stop being racist. Portuguese people are really xenophobic. For years I played games in portuguese from Portugal and never complained. No wonder u never adopted the new "acordo ortográfico", because u need to "preserve the language".
Portuguese from Brazilian have words that in Portuguese from Portugal are grammatical errors like "registrar", in Portuguese from Pt is wrong, we write "registar" miss de "r", very close but is not the same word. Semantic is another "animal" and the most problematic for Siri. So your ignorance bring the word "xenophobic" in this context is very bad situation. Are you xenophobic to Portuguese people?. Brazilian is very warm for singing, is a good think. But we are responsible for braking our language, Brazilian people more. Keyboard=teclado; mouse=mouse("rato" in Portuguese), just kill the language. Chunks of words are more English every day and all is acceptable.
The "acordo ortográfico" is mandatory in Portugal Schools for years. Not an option. The general people do not like changes.

Best regards from Portugal

Last edited:

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
They still don’t know what European Portuguese is for Siri, though...
They still don’t know what European Portuguese is for Siri, though...
I understand these points.
The real question is: is Apple interested in knowing? or, in other words, does Apple find it worth knowing? After all, we're just 10M of predominantly, poor customers. São Paulo alone, surpasses us and there are twenty times more Brazilians than Portuguese. Apple took eight years to localize MacOS X in Portuguese Portuguese (as I like to name it, since no other European country speaks it, officially). In some other words, economically speaking, are we relevant?

Reactions: mtrm

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
there is no such thing as original portuguese or brazilian. they both are the same language: portuguese. stop being racist. Portuguese people are really xenophobic. For years I played games in portuguese from Portugal and never complained. No wonder u never adopted the new "acordo ortográfico", because u need to "preserve the language".
Clearly, you haven't lived in Portugal to make a statement such as calling racist to Portuguese.
Let's not forget the tens of thousands of Brazilians who flew from Brasil to Portugal around 2018, 2019… and still remain there.
Regarding the language, while there is no such thing as Brazillian, the Portuguese spoken in Brasil was brought by Portuguese, so there is, in fact an origin, the same way Portuguese has origins in Galician, Castllian (both Spanish languages) and French, due no doubt to the fact that the parents of our first king, were Frenh and Spanish as well as other family members such as his cousin who was the king of the Leon Realm.
Another thing: the new agreement that you mention has been officially implemented in 2010 - more than 10 years ago - despite PALOPs (Portuguese Speaking African Countries) having never signed it, which is understandable, since they were never consulted in the matter.
Final thoughts: This language/country discussion has no sense. Languages do change and they will continue to evolve. Otherwise, Portuguese might still be speaking Latin, which by the way, is a dead language, that did not survive the Greek civilization it once dominated… or whatever Celtic language we spoke before the Romans came.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtarrio

mtrm

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Portugal
I understand these points.
The real question is: is Apple interested in knowing? or, in other words, does Apple find it worth knowing? After all, we're just 10M of predominantly, poor customers. São Paulo alone, surpasses us and there are twenty times more Brazilians than Portuguese. Apple took eight years to localize MacOS X in Portuguese Portuguese (as I like to name it, since no other European country speaks it, officially). In some other words, economically speaking, are we relevant?
I understand what you mean. I know we are irrelevant in economic terms (relatively low population in European terms and only the 17th highest real GDP per capita in 2020) and given the very low penetration of iPhones in Portugal (if I had to guess, probably a couple hundred thousands), it’s probably near the bottom of apple’s priorities to develop Siri in European Portuguese. But for instance, Apple has bothered developing Siri in Finnish (Finland has around 5.5m people), Norwegian (around 5.5m as well) and in Flemish (Belgian Dutch, around 6.6m). Surely iPhones must have a higher market share in Finland, Norway and Belgium and also a higher market share of Macs and other products compared to Portugal, but in terms of actual units I’d guess the difference is probably much smaller. Again, I don’t have any data on market shares, so I’m simply speculating.
But again, we have slowly started getting access to more Apple services in the last couple of years (Apple Pay about 2 years ago and LTE Apple watches a few months ago), so let’s hope this means something for the near future! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Mainyehc

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
[…] and given the very low penetration of iPhones in Portugal (if I had to guess, probably a couple hundred thousands) […]
Ahahaha are you kidding? Look, I know my sample is skewed because I’m middle-class and Apple doesn’t have as much marketshare in Europe, but I’ll eat my own shoe if that number isn’t close to or even above one million.

Edit: yep, it’s above 24%. https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/portugal
Now, for absolute numbers in installed base…

Edit #2: there are around 6,44M (as in Million) smartphones in Portugal, so 24% of that is around 1,5M iPhones. QED.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmoliv

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
No...no you are not....please just become part of Spain to make it easier on the rest of us. /s

;)
I didn't think we were. It was a rhetorical question ?.
Some of us wouldn't mind to return to the once Iberia, later the Roman province of Hispânia... just to make it easier on ourselves. ?
Nevertheless, it wouldn't solve the problem. It took us almost 900 years to develop the Portuguese language thus far. ?

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
I understand what you mean. I know we are irrelevant in economic terms (relatively low population in European terms and only the 17th highest real GDP per capita in 2020) and given the very low penetration of iPhones in Portugal (if I had to guess, probably a couple hundred thousands), it’s probably near the bottom of apple’s priorities to develop Siri in European Portuguese. But for instance, Apple has bothered developing Siri in Finnish (Finland has around 5.5m people), Norwegian (around 5.5m as well) and in Flemish (Belgian Dutch, around 6.6m). Surely iPhones must have a higher market share in Finland, Norway and Belgium and also a higher market share of Macs and other products compared to Portugal, but in terms of actual units I’d guess the difference is probably much smaller. Again, I don’t have any data on market shares, so I’m simply speculating.
But again, we have slowly started getting access to more Apple services in the last couple of years (Apple Pay about 2 years ago and LTE Apple watches a few months ago), so let’s hope this means something for the near future! :)
I don't have that data either. Apart from the market share, we also have the mean upgrade time, which is significantly higher in Portugal. Let's face it: our minimum wage is insufficient to pay the mortgage. Depending on your location, you'll have to have a second job. If you have kids, it gets worse. If you're a single parent, a third job might have to be considered. On top of this, the global health crisis, which undoubtedly affects every country, inflates the cost of basic needs, or vaccines for that matter. It's clearer now, how low in the chain we really are. What's still to be seen is how low we'll get.
Despite all this, I remain hopeful, as you are. That's what keeps us moving forward. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: mtrm

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Most people use credit to buy Apple products regardless of country or income.

Plus: Apple products have become increasingly popular and widespread due to "influencers" is the past few years. Hence why market share is getting higher and higher.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I used Apple Maps to drive all through Spain a few years ago and it worked super well. There was one exception, which was an address in the Cabo de Gata park that was super confusingly named and we got led into a sketchy feeling neighborhood in Almería, about 15 miles away. In all the thousands of miles I've driven using Apple Maps, it was the only major f-up I've experienced.

jtarrio

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
I started to see the new maps in Spain (Madrid) yesterday (or maybe a couple of days ago, I don't remember exactly when I first noticed them), but by the end of the day yesterday they were gone again and now I'm back to the old crappy maps!!

I took this screenshot yesterday while navigating with the new maps:

IMG_4742.PNG

And again this morning at the exact same spot (notice the same distance remaining to the same destination):

IMG_4755.PNG

I have no idea why I was able to see the new maps yesterday and not today. I have not updated iOS in between (I'm on the iOS 14.5 RC), and to the best of my understanding this is a server-side thing and should not be linked to any particular iOS version. In any case I will be updating to iOS 14.6 public beta to see if I can get the new maps back.

jtarrio

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
There certainly *is* an "original" Portuguese, since the word "original" just means where something "originated" from, and Portuguese originated in Portugal. "Original" does not mean "better", it just means what it means, and there's nothing racist in acknowledging that there are differences between "original" Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, just like there are between "original" Spanish and the different Latin American flavors of Spanish (and it's not just about accent, it's about vocabulary, slang, etc.). It doesn't mean one is better and the others are inferior, it just means one is the original. And yes, both have evolved separately since the time when one language was adopted in the other countries, but that doesn't make the "original" any less "original", and again, people shouldn't read "original" as meaning "better" in any case. If they had talked about "real" Portuguese I would understand the reaction, but not with "original".

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I started to see the new maps in Spain (Madrid) yesterday (or maybe a couple of days ago, I don't remember exactly when I first noticed them), but by the end of the day yesterday they were gone again and now I'm back to the old crappy maps!!

I took this screenshot yesterday while navigating with the new maps:

View attachment 1764931

And again this morning at the exact same spot (notice the same distance remaining to the same destination):

View attachment 1764933

I have no idea why I was able to see the new maps yesterday and not today. I have not updated iOS in between (I'm on the iOS 14.5 RC), and to the best of my understanding this is a server-side thing and should not be linked to any particular iOS version. In any case I will be updating to iOS 14.6 public beta to see if I can get the new maps back.

It's only based on the iOS when there a specific feature (like bike directions) that are iOS based. Most people using Apple Maps who would notice if they even have the new version are most likely on iOS14, so it is just the luck of the draw if you get the server side update....and yes, it can and is also pulled at random as well....sucks!

Reactions: jtarrio

jtarrio

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
It's only based on the iOS when there a specific feature (like bike directions) that are iOS based. Most people using Apple Maps who would notice if they even have the new version are most likely on iOS14, so it is just the luck of the draw if you get the server side update....and yes, it can and is also pulled at random as well....sucks!
?

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
There certainly *is* an "original" Portuguese, since the word "original" just means where something "originated" from, and Portuguese originated in Portugal. "Original" does not mean "better", it just means what it means, and there's nothing racist in acknowledging that there are differences between "original" Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, just like there are between "original" Spanish and the different Latin American flavors of Spanish (and it's not just about accent, it's about vocabulary, slang, etc.). It doesn't mean one is better and the others are inferior, it just means one is the original. And yes, both have evolved separately since the time when one language was adopted in the other countries, but that doesn't make the "original" any less "original", and again, people shouldn't read "original" as meaning "better" in any case. If they had talked about "real" Portuguese I would understand the reaction, but not with "original".
The only point of contention about it is the theory that accent-wise, Brazilian Portuguese actually sounds closer to the “original” Portuguese from Portugal as it was in the 16th century. Then again, we don’t have the indigenous vocabulary that was added later and, for the most part, our use of grammar in colloquial speech is closer to what could be called “original” (as a matter of fact, in certain regions in the North, some people still use the second person plural as we learn it in school). Brazil is probably closer to a state of generalized diglossia than we are, on the other hand…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.