Revamped Apple Maps Rollout Reaches New York City

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple on Monday began rolling out a major update to its New York City coverage in the Maps app, boosting geographical details and correcting numerous errors in the process, according to the New York Post.

The update should see an increase in details on buildings, roads, parks, sports fields, parking lots, ground cover, foliage, pools, pedestrian pathways, and bodies of water.

For example, users looking at Central Park should now see individual baseball diamonds and more detailed footpaths, while buildings are more accurately rendered in the 3D mode thanks to new flight technology to better depict elevations.

Apple may still be rolling out the changes to its servers, as some Reddit users report that the appearance of the new coverage remains patchy and seems to depend on zoom level.

Apple has been deploying the enhanced maps up the northeast United States over the last few months, rolling them out in a stepwise fashion in adjacent continental U.S. states.

The last update brought enhanced maps to the likes of Washington D.C., Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, and Maine.

The data is gathered by Apple's own fleet of sensor- and camera-equipped vehicles, as well as first-party data gathered from iPhones using Apple's differential privacy. The combined data is also being made to ensure search results are more relevant.

At WWDC 2019, Apple said the updated maps will roll out to the entire United States by the end of the year, followed by additional countries in 2020.

Article Link: Revamped Apple Maps Rollout Reaches New York City

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
And the rest of the world that isn’t America = 2067.

Like Apple Cash.
They have the data for a much wider area. I had it on my phone during the beta. While they look a amazing, there is still data reconciliation to complete. For example it did not acknowledge that service roads are invalid entrances to through ways. I’d expect most of the US to be available by the end of the year.

anticipate

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
Massachusetts (and New England) still isn’t out. Not sure where your reporting is coming from but it’s not correct.

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
I wonder why the mapping companies haven’t come up with an algorithm to guide us on quality of our transportation choice, not just the fastest route.

For example, I would like to know in New York City if I walk from point A to point B is there a nicer way to walk or less nice way to walk. Likewise, I would like something to have ideal bicycle conditions. Not just flagging the bicycle routes but based on where bicycle us actually travel that should indicate what the best ways to ride a bicycle would be

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
They have the data for a much wider area. I had it on my phone during the beta. While they look a amazing, there is still data reconciliation to complete. For example it did not acknowledge that service roads are invalid entrances to through ways. I’d expect most of the US to be available by the end of the year.
Which year?

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I took a quick look at NYC and it does look sharp. However, I noticed sporadic street names were very jittery while zoomed in, like it had too much caffeine.

iDiots

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2017
Apple User: when Apple releases something, they do it better

Google Map Users: Hold my beer
Also improve in Canada plzzzzzzz
Just use Google Maps, Apple maps is about 7 years behind Google, Facts!

anticipate

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I'm still not seeing the updated maps for Mass either (I'm in Boston). Not sure what gives...
What's even weirder is I DO see them in CarPlay when on maps. Clearly tons more detail like baseball fields, etc, that don't show in the normal app.

Reactions: bchery21

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
I had the updated northeast Apple maps for a while, but just on my phone, and now they've reverted back to the old maps.

DinkThifferent

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Lol Apple Maps is still a disaster here in The Netherlands. I just opened it on my iMac (removed it from my iPhone a long time ago, after it tried to navigate me over a motorway, even though I had selected 'walking directions') and in my city (third largest of the country) it is still a gigantic outdated mess. I looked at the city center and reported immediately 10 errors to Apple: 9 stores that are not there anymore or had changed address and 1 pin that was not correct.

Good luck Apple. I think I will start using your maps functionality again when the iPhone 111 is released.

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
What about the Look Around feature or whatever it’s called? It’s very cool but seems to be extremely limited in coverage so far. Like...the SF area pretty much.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
SF
if any maps app can get me to actual transit entrances instead of standing on top of a terminal/tunnel, I will pay handsomely

UnusedLoginID

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
Does this include street view?
Eh, you mean “Look Around” view? :)

My home in the Bay Area is on it but noticed that the view is well over a year old.

Also if I open Apple Maps, there’s the blue dot on my location but when I tap the binoculars it shows a view of a street that is not mine!

One of my nearby stores has changed name and the view is of the old one.
What I don’t understand is that though the normal map view shows the new name of the store, the Look Around view has the old name. That does not make sense, it’s like the map view and the Look Around view have two separate databases of place names which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

So to the rest of you out there, don’t hold your breath, it will be a few years before you have it. It’s obviously still in Beta!