Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbam987

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
That looks eerily like the Nokia Lumia 900... :D
Then again, everyone copies everyone anyway. Let the lawsuits begin (again :()!

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
beautiful design / renders!

double_facepalm.png

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
The current Nano was an interesting experiment but the fact it's been more popular as a makeshift wristwatch says it all.

I disagree-the current Nano is great to use at the gym. No case needed--just a small, lightweight iPod with a built-in clip. I use my Touch now because I've predominantly switched to Spotify, but if the Nano ever got apps and Wi-Fi in that form factor, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

laxic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
All I need is the same nano with bluetooth! (and maybe a camera for quick shots). It looks ridiculous to have the nano as a watch with a crazy long cable connected to it.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
That's not an iPod nano.
That's an iPad nano.
So that makes the iPod touch an iPad mini?

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
I was hoping to see bluetooth 4.0 in a similar form factor...
I was just thinking how it could have iPhone integration so you could see who's calling you and whatnot, saying as it is really popular as a watch.
Same thing with texts, notifications, etc... Also visual music controls blah blah blah...
I know every iPhone owner out there has had a "That chime my iPhone made... Is it worth taking out and looking at right now? Oh damn, Zombie Farm update." moment.
But who knows. October is just around the corner.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I really hope it improves on that last one. It was such a huge leap backwards after all.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Phase I, rumor site publishes a photo or rendering of future product: "That is soooo ugly, Apple would never make it and I would never buy it!"

Phase II, Apple releases product exactly matching the rumor: "That is soooo beautiful, I can't wait to get it!"

the difference being that those are ugly ass mockups unlike the leaked prototypes

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
but I can't wear it on my wrist :/

This ^^

That was the primary reason I purchased the Nano when Nike+ was upgraded to work without a bluetooth adapter. Using my iPhone in the gym was a $649 accident waiting to happen every time it fell out of my pocket and dangled by my ear bud wire. XD

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Best Nano ever was

hopefully they go back to this design and get the video recording again. I love being able to snap photos and take videos on something that small, even if it's just silly stuff like foxes and eerie empty streets when I'm out running at night. Or if you see an accident or something when you're out for a jog, it's nice to be able to record it.

I agree completely. This to me was the best design and using the small screen for movies and other media was surprisingly good. I have four of them in my household and they are still being used by various family members.

----------

Apple is making a Zune?

Looks more like a samsung P2. I still have that tech sitting in my drawer. One day I may fire it up again for old times sake. The sound of the P2 was a bit more superior to apple's, but the interface was just doodoo. Loading up movies on that thing was a huge pain.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
What they need to do is keep the current design but perhaps a little thicker to include gps and Bluetooth. Then include Nike + gps by default. The perfect running music player.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The only Nano I ever liked was this one:

apple-ipod-nano.jpg

I just like the proportions, and how it feels in your hand. I also like the fact that it has buttons. Buttons are cool in such a touch-crazy world. Being able to pause your song without first having to unlock your device or navigate to an app is also useful, on a music player.

The nano should remain a music player, with no extra functionality that should be reserved for the iPod Touch. The buttons could be on the side to make the device small, but not as small as the current nano, which is simply too small to even hold in your hand properly. Why not make the screen twice the size? It would still be tiny, but at least it would be useable.

Cancelled
Oct 19, 2011
...An iPod without a clickwheel must not be named iPod...

Still keeping my 4G nano because a touchscreen just "doesn't feel right" there.
4G and 5G, the last "real" iPod nanos.

The mockup looks nice, but it's totally not Apple-like.
Also reminded me of the Lumia when I saw it.

Just my two cents on the camera:
Not needed. Guys, this thing is made to listen to music, and maybe a little bit for watching videos (though the screen is really way too small for it). Get a camera or an iPhone if you want to take pics.
Also, I can remember the camera they put into the 5G was total **** in terms of resolution and image quality.
Toaster fridge!

Bluetooth:
Fully agree, adding that would make sense. Bluetooth headsets or wireless earphones/speakers are really common nowadays, and sticking a bulky adapter on it isn't optimal.
Also car makers and their buyers will also thank Apple if they made that move - no hassles if there's a new dock connector sometime in the future.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I'm in desperate want of a new iPod. I don't care for the current design, but this mock up is something I'd buy if it were available.

As nex4k mentions it would be even better with a click wheel. I can easily control my old click wheel nano without looking. I guess the controls could be similar with a virtual wheel which is possible with the larger screen of this design.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
I'm torn.

I've kept my 4th-Gen in use because of its video playing capabilities, but I love my 6th-Gen watch.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
no offense to the 3d artist but this really could have been handled better lol..

uga.jax

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
My vote is that it's primarily the remote to the unreleased Apple TV, but can access the cloud to also be able to listen to music.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
What is everyone's obsession with the long shape? I hate it for the nano. My favorite ipods were the 3rd gen and the 6th/7th gen. Much easier for fitting in a pocket and taking it on the go (Which is what the nano is best for. For stuff like watching video or even taking pictures the touch is far superior anyways especially if you don't care about a little extra size).

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I have to disagree on that topic. The iPod shuffle got its small clickwheel back for the 4th generation for a reason. I can use any headphones I want with it and I can change tracks and volume without looking at it.

I received the new touch screen iPod nano to replace by 2nd-generation (bad battery) and I haven't even connected it to my Mac mini yet. It's still in the box, I only turned it on once to see if it was working, turned it off immediately. I don't need and I don't want a touch screen on something which I'm supposed to clip on my clothes. IMHO the two (clip-on and touch screen) are opposites.

I have the current iPod Nano. I don't look at it to stop/play/fast forward/rewind/tell me what's playing. That's what getting a pair of headsets with a remote (or using the ones that came with my iPhone) is for. And that remote is a helluva lot easier to use without looking than the clickwheel (especially on the fifth gen whose clickwheel was so small it was hard to tell it to just go up or down one menu item, it was very frustrating to use honestly. The third gen was better cause the width allowed them to put a bigger scroll wheel so it was easier to move in small increments).

Hell, that argument is old for any device honestly that supports the remote (it's one of the few things I liked about the fifth gen nano which was my least favorite nano of the ones I had... it's probably the only reason I sold the third gen rather than the fifth gen that I got with the Macbook student thing). You don't need the controls on the device if you don't want to look, just use the remote.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
(b) Give it a low-power, OLED display. This enables the following two functions:

(b1) The display doesn't go to sleep when the face is set to "clock." What kind of watch requires you to wake it from sleep just to see the time?

The kind with a battery life of more than a couple of hours...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.