iPhone 11 Pro Reverse Wireless Charging through update?

Eckono37

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Chi Town
I believe Apple built reverse Wireless Charging into the Pro model iPhones but decided not to activate it at launch. I can't see them giving the pro models an extra 4-5 hours of battery just because. Why make 2nd gen airpods capable of wireless charging if they don't really offer their own wireless charging solution. Im just speculating, could be totally wrong.

darthbane2k

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Reverse wireless charging hardware is in all models, not just the pro. Whether Apple activate it or not - who knows

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
That's cool to know, at least it's capable in the future.
What’s cool to know? An unofficial guess on a rumours forum?

Nobody has any idea if it’s in the phone nor when/if it’ll be activated.

If it is there, then early buyers are paying for it, but won’t be able to use it (wasted money).

If I were in the market, I’d wait a few months to see if it gets activated. Then you’ll be getting more for your money.

MadCar

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
The internet
Highly unlikely they will add it.

But then the U1 chip has lots of potential but very little usecase so far. Can’t help they were going to launch the tag but didn’t make it either.

Maybe that will not be a 2020 update with next years phones, or add it with an Oct, MBP and updated Apple TV to go with TV+ and Arcade.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Apple will activate it on iPhone 5G. They don't have a history of activating significant new features after product launch.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Not necessarily. They might not be confident it will work to their standards at this time and want to avoid another Air Power PR disaster. I still wouldn’t count on it though.
My inner child is waiting for a “One more thing” at the next keynote, where; AirPower is miraculously announced to be in stores, and reverse charging is supported through iOS 13.X!
But alas, reality is often disappointing.

Reactions: SRLMJ23 and newellj

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I believe Apple built reverse Wireless Charging into the Pro model iPhones but decided not to activate it at launch. I can't see them giving the pro models an extra 4-5 hours of battery just because. Why make 2nd gen airpods capable of wireless charging if they don't really offer their own wireless charging solution. Im just speculating, could be totally wrong.
I totally CAN see them giving them "an extra 4-5 hours of battery life" because the reality is if you're trying to do more processing intensive things on a "pro" phone it will chew more battery in the same time.

Don't think of this as "more battery life on standby". This is about "ability to do more power hungry things more often".

This is probably more about AR to a future head-set than more run-time doing regular stuff, or "reverse charging".

Reactions: runebinder

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Unfortunately this feature will not be activated until iOS 13.2.
If ever (in 2019/2020)? I would have thought they'd mention it at they keynote, maybe, but then again after the AirPower debacle it would be logical to say nothing and surprise people later - although if the hardware is there, iFixit is going to turn it up very soon. :)

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Im hoping later on it is available through update.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2012
Apple is not very successful with producing a wireless charger - they dropped the one they announced last year

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
San Diego, CA
Reverse charging is such a gimmick. I don’t care if it comes out or not.
Will have to disagree with you on that. There are lots of gimmicks out there, I don’t think reverse charging is one of them. More than a few times I’ve needed a bit more battery after being out all day and friends of mine that have that feature in their Samsung phones have come in very handy.

Reactions: macbookguy

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I wouldn’t expect to see it til next years phone...if it is out earlier then cool. One of those where you will try it out but rarely use it. Cool to have though.

kycophpd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Apple will activate it on iPhone 5G. They don't have a history of activating significant new features after product launch.
If it’s in there, they will not wait until the next iPhone. They know there will be tear downs of the phone that will say its in there. If it is, they will almost certainly make it available thru software update at some point in time.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I can see it now: one day my new iPhone will be in my back pocket and I’ll feel a toasty butt cheek and know the hidden feature has been activated. :p

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Seems like a very gimmicky feature to me. On current phones that have it, the charging power is so minimal it doesn’t have real world usage IMO.

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Seems like a very gimmicky feature to me. On current phones that have it, the charging power is so minimal it doesn’t have real world usage IMO.
Also, how many people here can say “oh, i have SPARE POWER in my iphone” to charge something else?

I mean, what else would you need to charge that doesn’t already last a lot longer than your phone charge wise?

Airpods? They have a charge case that will give you 24 hr or whatever. iPad will last much longer than my phone.

My macbook? Lol...

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
If it’s in there, they will not wait until the next iPhone. They know there will be tear downs of the phone that will say its in there. If it is, they will almost certainly make it available thru software update at some point in time.
That's why Apple uses custom part numbers. The STMicro wireless controller found in teardowns won't have a public datasheet.

Reactions: kycophpd

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Not with Samsung. Their Fast Wireless Charging is equivalent to normal(not fast) wired charging.
[doublepost=1568601751][/doublepost]
Also, how many people here can say “oh, i have SPARE POWER in my iphone” to charge something else?

I men, what else would you need to charge that doesn’t already last a lot longer than your phone charge wise?

Airpods? They have a charge case that will give you 24 hr or whatever. iPad will last much longer than my phone.

My macbook? Lol...
I have already been on trips, that I didn't have to bring my Galaxy watch charging stand with me. I can just charge on the phone that's being charged itself. And any type of wireless buds case will not take much juice to fully charge. It's more about convenience vs emergency situations.