Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
In the spirit of making things up.

Is "falling apart" a bit of an exaggeration? Maybe. Hardly made up or hyperbolic though. From Nissan's own mouth:

"Recent Nissan battery life data suggests that the battery itself may last some 10-12 years beyond the life of the car. The company sees the LEAF's reasonable life at about 10 years. Managing director of Renault-Nissan Energy Services Francisco Carranza reveals that the batteries in those cars seem to have a 22-year life span."

It is a Nissan after all, so falling apart is certainly a possibility.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
odd, Ive seen the complaints on the Tesla forums about lack of CarPlay so I don’t think its a non issue. As far as i know, if you have Apple Music, all you can do is hook it up to bluetooth and control it like that but theres no dedicated Siri button. So browsing music or even calling it up isn’t really possible. I talked to someone awhile back about this and asked what they do and they said “i have to pick up my phone while driving and choose the song and hit play. It’s kind of a pain”. Unless they’ve changed that and I’m just not up to date on it?

i just got a model 3 and prior to that i had a bolt. the bolt supports carplay. carplay really improved in ios13 and has some pretty slick homekit integration, and i'm definitely going to miss that.

unless you pay $100 a year for the 'premium connectivity', at least in the 3 the traffic data in the map will stop working after the first year of ownership. if they put in carplay, then they'd lose this revenue stream (unless they charge you $100/yr for carplay, lol) tesla is the king of nickle and diming (want a keyfob? that'll be $150. want a keyring on that? that'll be $18 more, thanks. want wireless phone charging? that'll be $125, thank you. want to fix a flat? that'll be $80...) so i can believe that they'd rather charge $100 for traffic and not do anything else than spend a bunch of money developing carplay and then needing to make it all back with a fee.

anyway, rant aside, i noticed that at least the tesla shows the current iphone playlist, so you can at least change songs in your playlist without picking up the phone. they can also load your calendar from the phone and when you get in, it offers to navigate you to your next appointment. carplay also does that BTW. beyond the playlist and the calendar sync, there's no further iphone integration besides the car control iOS app.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
odd, Ive seen the complaints on the Tesla forums about lack of CarPlay so I don’t think its a non issue. As far as i know, if you have Apple Music, all you can do is hook it up to bluetooth and control it like that but theres no dedicated Siri button. So browsing music or even calling it up isn’t really possible. I talked to someone awhile back about this and asked what they do and they said “i have to pick up my phone while driving and choose the song and hit play. It’s kind of a pain”. Unless they’ve changed that and I’m just not up to date on it?

Aren't there web-apps for controlling Apple Music? Pull up the web browser on the screen and control it with that - that's how I controlled Spotify prior to Tesla adding official Spotify integration to the car.

I think Musk has said that adding official Apple Music integration is a priority, so once that's done you'll have the same voice and native integration that Spotify, Podcasts, Slacker, and the other built-in apps have.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
this guy says the web interface doesn't work as of sept 2019...

of course there have been a number of Tesla software updates since then.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Yes, *exactly* like that. But I defy you to actually find one to buy. I was going to get exactly this, and they told me that I'd be waiting at least a couple years, as every one of the cars shipped to Canada was gone before they even hit the shores. The waiting list is brutal, and the supply is simply not keeping up with demand. I needed a car, so I couldn't go this way.

Maybe a Canada thing? In the US they were blowing out E-Golfs for about 20K. After Federal incentive people were essentially paying $14,000. In certain states with their own incentives, even less.

In any case, VW has committed to bringing several EVs to North America at price points similar to their gasoline equivalents, starting with the ID.4 SUV.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Maybe a Canada thing? In the US they were blowing out E-Golfs for about 20K. After Federal incentive people were essentially paying $14,000. In certain states with their own incentives, even less.

In any case, VW has committed to bringing several EVs to North America at price points similar to their gasoline equivalents, starting with the ID.4 SUV.

Maybe. When I spoke to the dealership in early '19, the guy told me they'd gotten an order last year *canada wide* for something like 142 cars that *year*. He expected the order to be substantially higher this year, but said there was no point in ordering because whatever the number was, they were already all spoken for.

Anyway, in the end, I decided one more run around the dead dinosaurs was what I'd do. The next car I get, I'll look again, and I expect things will be better all around for EVs.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
this guy says the web interface doesn't work as of sept 2019...

of course there have been a number of Tesla software updates since then.

i tried this yesterday and it does now work - i am running software 2019.40.50.1 - but as soon as you dismiss the browser the music stops. i guess they don't want to background the web browser which might lead to a lot of confusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.