REVIEW: Agent 18 EcoShield SLIDER case (Pictures included)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lavinci, Aug 7, 2009.

1. lavinci macrumors 6502

NOTE: This is not the current EcoShield that they sell in Apple stores where the back piece and front piece snaps together. This one is like the incase slider but better.

I just received my agent 18 ecoshield slider in the mail yesterday and it is much better than the ecoshield that they sell in apple stores.

The sides of the case are protected by silicone pieces for better grip and drop protection. The back of the case has the signature tree logo for environmental reasons and the Agent 18 logo. I find the case to be a silicone matte finish but it is most definitely a hard case.

There are silicone strips inside the case to prevent scratching while putting on the case. All buttons are protected on the sides except the vibrate switch. Also, the top part of the bezel shows, but the rest of the chrome is protected by the case. This may be good for some and bad too depending on your taste. I have used the Incase Slider before and this is most definitely better because it just feels better and is thinner. Currently, I use the PS Air Jacket, but will now switch to the Agent 18 because it is just as thin but offers excellent protection from scratches and drops. I also find that it is VERY hard to remove this case because of the silicone strips on the interior of the case. However, I find this to be a good thing because that way, my phone doesn't scratch during removal.

They also give you an included screen protector, but you might as well go get a power support crystal since the included one has a rainbowy texture to it. Also included is a stand to prop the phone up for easy viewing of movies and pictures. It is excellent that this stand is also made of pure metal instead of plastic like most other stands.

Together, I rate this case a 9.5/10. One half point off because of the difficulty to remove the case. Not a biggie, but it is annoying when you want to swap cases.

Also, if your screen protectors are a tiny bit off center, the case will fit fine since it doesn't touch the top part of the bezel. I hear that the incase slider creates bubbles when putting on the case on misaligned screen protectors, but that is not the case when putting the Agent 18 on.

Cost: $34.95
    Link: http://www.agent18.com/productdetail/iphones/ecoshield-slider-for-iphone/136.aspx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Can we see the pics with the phone in the case?

Great review!!

3. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure. Sorry for this quality since it was taken with the macbook camera. The ridge around the bezel do not ride as high as the incase slider and do feel thinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

i had one of these for my original phone -- i loved it -- i still see a huge scratch potential in this new version...

5. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

So far everytime I take my iPhone out of the case, no scratches whatsoever even though the case is difficult to remove.

6. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Is this new agent 18 case "lay on table design"? Meaning, if you lay it on the screen side does the case or the glass touch the surface?

7. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

you can see from the side pic that it has a slight lay on the table design. it also shows the entire top part of the bezel too. (not feeling that IMO)

i like trees though ;)

8. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

I prefer the bezel showing because it gives some shine to the look.

9. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Would you let us know if the rubber/silicone rails leave smudges on the back of the iphone when the case is removed? I remember the incase doing that and it's so annoying.

10. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

Negative. No smudges at all.

11. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

I went ahead and picked up this case, along with a backup Magnesium incase slider. The Agent 18 was pretty hard to get on, but it seems like a slim, very sturdy protective case. The the side rubber rails provide a pretty good grip for your hand.

I'm not sure that I'll have a good time taking the thing off though. I'll roll with this case for a good week and see how it goes.

12. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah if you can take it off easily, I would like to know how because the only fault I see is that it is a burden to remove versus the Incase Sliders.

13. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

One thing I really like about the case it the fact that it doesn't come up past the bezel. I hate it when these cases make your screen shield pop up in the corners.

However, I'm not too comfortable laying the phone down (screen side down) compared to the Incase Sliders.

14. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

I do the face down thing sometimes and it is fine as long as the table is flat, assuming you don't have a rocky table.

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Those are unattractive cases. Just buy 3rd-party insurance.

16. dauerhippo macrumors regular

I just got this case today at the Soho Apple store. I didn't even know it was available until I saw it on the rack. I LOVED this case for my 1st gen iPhone, and this version certainly doesn't dissapoint. It just feels really nice in the hand, and seems pretty sturdy and protective, with all that silicone inside.

I agree with the OP, though. It is a BIT*H to take off.

17. dauerhippo macrumors regular

I just got this case today at the Soho Apple store. I didn't even know it was available until I saw it on the rack. I LOVED this case for my 1st gen iPhone, and this version certainly doesn't dissapoint. It just feels really nice in the hand, and seems pretty sturdy and protective, with all that silicone inside.

I agree with the OP, though. It is a BIT*H to take off.

18. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

For those of you who are using this case... with the rubber grips on the side does it pull your pockets out when you take it out of the pocket?

It's a pet peeve of mine.

19. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

No it doesn't. It's not that type of silicone material, more of a rubbery smooth finish to it. I wear jeans, basketball shorts, and cargos if that helps the question.

Oh and go Phillies! I live in philly myself.

20. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Excellent! That is the one thing I was worried about. Looks like I'll be ordering one.

Too bad they are losing right now... stupid fish!

21. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

But, now it is me and someone else that has the same problem. It is a pain in the butt to remove because the silicone strips are there to prevent scratching. If you have another case you are using, do the competitor program where they refund you half the original price back after you send them your old case in.

22. eron macrumors 6502

Can someone do a comparison of this with the Innocase? I'm interested to see which is thicker.

The moshi case is slightly thinner than an innocase, but doesn't cover the bezel.

23. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Figured out an easy way to remove the Agent 18 case. You first want to take off the top part, to do this apply gentle pressure on the back of the case in the center (of the top part) and slowly pull this off the phone. Watch out for the vibration switch and ease the top part off. The top part is much easier to slide off due to the volume button and vibration button?

The bottom part is very hard to slide off, but I've found that once the top part of off you can just slowly peel the iPhone right out of the bottom part of the case, like you would if you were removing a contour flick case.

24. lavinci thread starter macrumors 6502

I just apply upwards pressure towards the top of the case edges.

25. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I saw this at Marshall's for 7 bucks today. should have bought it =/