Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As laptops have seen simplified connectivity options in recent years, many users have embraced a variety of USB-C and/or Thunderbolt hubs and docks to increase their connectivity options. These accessories have proven particularly popular with users seeking to replicate a desktop experience at home or in the office with one or more external displays.

anker-778-dock-box.jpg

Anker recently launched a new option for power users with the 778 Thunderbolt Docking Station, a Thunderbolt 4 dock that provides a wealth of ports for connecting displays, external drives, and other accessories, all through a single cable that can also charge your laptop.

The 778 Thunderbolt Docking Station includes a total of 12 ports: an upstream Thunderbolt 4 port that provides up to 100W of charging power for your laptop, a downstream Thunderbolt 4 port, two USB-C ports that each support up to 10Gbps data speeds and 30W of charging power, two 5Gbps USB-A ports, two 480 Mbps USB-A ports for peripherals like a wired keyboard and mouse, a Gigabit Ethernet port, an 8K HDMI 2.1 port, and two DisplayPort 1.4 ports.

anker-778-dock-front.jpg

The two USB-C ports, a power button, and an LED status light are located on the front of the dock for easy access, while the upstream Thunderbolt port is on the left side and a Kensington NanoSaver-style lock slot is on the right side. All other ports are on the rear of the dock to keep the cables organized and out of the way.

The overall design is pretty straightforward with a non-obtrusive dark gray and black look including subtle Anker branding on the top of the dock. The main shell appears to be made of something like aluminum, while the front and rear panels with the majority of the ports are made of plastic with vertical grooves at regular intervals to provide a little bit of visual interest. A couple of rubber-like strips on the bottom help protect surfaces and provide just a bit more airflow around the dock.

anker-778-dock-rear.jpg

I found solid data speeds for external SSDs connected via the dock in my testing, with a USB-C drive delivering around 700 MB/s for read and write when connected to either the downstream USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 port or one of the USB-C ports. Using a faster Thunderbolt external SSD connected to the Thunderbolt 4 port, I saw read speeds of around 2,500 MB/s and write speeds in excess of 1,800 MB/s. All of those stats were in line with what I see for those drives when connected directly to my 16-inch M1 Pro MacBook Pro.

There are a couple of notable limitations for Mac users with this dock, led by the fact that it does not support M1 and M2 MacBook models, so you need to be using a higher-end model with a Pro, Max, or Ultra chip.

anker-778-dock-side.jpg

Another limitation for Mac users is related to the connectivity options for multiple external displays. While there are two DisplayPort ports and an HDMI port, connecting two displays to any combination of those ports will only let one of the displays extend your desktop to an external screen. The other display will only be able to mirror either the first external screen or your internal Mac display.

Triple-display (two external and one internal) setups are still possible on Macs, but one of the external displays must be connected via USB-C/Thunderbolt in order to fully extend across all three displays. Setups with three or even four external displays are possible for Mac users, but will involve some mirroring, limiting the usefulness.

For Mac users, the Thunderbolt port can support up to a 6K display at 60Hz, while the HDMI and DisplayPort ports each support a maximum of 4K at 60Hz.

On the charging front, I noted that the upstream Thunderbolt port can deliver 100 watts to your laptop, but there is some power sharing that will reduce that depending on what else is drawing power via the dock. With one of the front 30W USB-C ports in use, the upstream Thunderbolt will continue to deliver up to 100W, but if both front USB-C ports are in use simultaneously, that available Thunderbolt power drops to 65W.

To drive everything, the 778 dock comes with a 180-watt external power supply that is nearly as big as the dock itself, but at least it can be tucked away on the floor or behind other equipment. A 0.7-meter Thunderbolt 4 cable is also included, and the dock is covered by an 18-month warranty.

A simple Anker Dock Manager app is also available to manage firmware updates for the dock, access the user manual, and contact Anker support.

anker-dock-manager.jpg

The 778 Thunderbolt Docking Station is normally priced at $379.99, but Amazon is currently offering a 20% discount to $303.00, which makes it easier t... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: Anker's 778 Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station Offers an Array of USB and Display Connectivity Options

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
To zj0309: I agree, but it think that being Thunderbolt adds to the price. From what I recall, TB4 docks have to adhere to stringent specifications that have to be licensed and implemented into the dock. USB-C doesn't. You could buy a cheap USB-C dock and not get the performance and features that you might need. Also, pros have deeper pockets.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Have 2 older USB-A docks to cover there kinds of mainly older tutorials.

The Mac Studio & the Studio Display cover easily the USB-C and other and newer port needs.
In case I would need more, I also have a practical multi-port hub that I bought to my MBA that are useful at times.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Surprised they sent a review-unit to a Mac website when the dock clearly isn't intended for us. Really silly if a connected Mac can't make use of more than one out of three built in display-outs. Meanwhile, instead of three TB downstream ports you only get one, which must be used as a second display-out if you intend to have one.

In that case, rather go with a reference dock which all have those three downstream TB4-ports that you can freely adapt to display outputs of your choosing, or the CalDigit TS4. Also, not supporting base M1/M2 in any capacity is a severe limitation not shared with other docks that I've heard of.

zlt1228

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
The DP port only supports 4K@60Hz. At this point how is it different from a normal USB-C dock if you don’t use any Thunderbolt accessories? Even if you do, you are probably better off hooking it up to a port on your device. I think this form factor could be great for single-cable docking, but this ain’t it.

Last edited:

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
There are a couple of notable limitations for Mac users with this dock, led by the fact that it does not support M1 and M2 MacBook models,

HARD PASS……

If it doesn’t support base M1 or M2 chips, then why bother getting this? There are Thunderbolts Docks that are cheaper than this Anker one and it supports base model M1 and M2 Macs with no issues at all. Heck, some even supports Intel Macs as well.

Reactions: -DMN- and RMo

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
the „Review“ of this dock are your comments and NOT the article from MR itself.
MR should change the headline to „please review the dock“

danieldk

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
No 2.5Gbe ethernet at this price? Are they joking?
The other big question (that is never addressed in reviews), does it use a crappy Realtek NIC (only generic driver, never actually reaches 1GBe, puts a high load on CPUs) or something better like an Intel NIC on PCIe (over Thunderbolt) like high-quality docks have?

Reactions: vmistery

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
The word "review" has lost its meaning these days.
I'm sincerely not sure what the heck you're complaining about.
The only thing that I don't see here that could have been useful is comparison with other models but considering the amount of specs and models of these accessories, it'd be hard to do even in a dedicated article.

epigore

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2019
The M1 display topic and the graphic on the Anker page are very confusing.

Are there only limitation with the basic M1/M2 chip?
Does this mean that I can use with a MacBook Pro M1/M2 Pro/Max up to 4 Displays with 4K@60Hz (DP, DP, HDMI, Thunderbolt) and connect it with a single USB-C cable to the MacBook Pro?
Or are all DP & HDMI displays mirrored and only 2 displays (Thunderbolt and DP/HDMI) make sense?

Last edited:

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hubs still aren't quite what they should be. Too many vagaries on specs, skimping out on features (like the Gigabit ethernet), or absence of useful ports (particularly a headphone jack and a passthrough USB-C port).

They have huge potential, and are already essential thanks to Apple, but they could be much better. For a lack of 2.5 or 10 Gigabit Ethernet – is it a limitation of bandwidth? Or heat dissipation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.