Review: Avivo Rail Carbonate

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ARSkemp, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

This is a review of the Rail Carbonate by Avivo. I have the Stealth Black + Black Suede Jacket combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The interesting thing about this case is that it has the ability to be used as a normal case and a bumper style case with an open back. The case is made up of two parts, yet you receive three. First, there is the outer part made of a polycarbonate soft touch coating. The next two parts are interchangeable. These pieces are what the outer part snaps into and what makes it stay on tightly. One is a plastic ring that wraps around the side of the phone and the other the same basic design with an addition of a backing (in my case this is the suede back but they sell a few different backing options on their website - http://www.avivostyle.com). Depending on which style you get the carbonate models range from $39.99 to $49.99. The model I am reviewing here is $49.99. They also have aluminum models for $79.99.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buttons and Cutouts:

The buttons and cutouts remain the same in both combinations since they are built into the outer polycarbonate piece. The buttons are CNC machined and have an excellent feel to them. All three (power, volume buttons) have solid feedback. All the buttons are raised just a hair above the case so you can feel them as you slide your fingers across. One slight issue is the depth of the ring/vibrate switch. Although I can reach it, it is only with my nails. I would consider my hands average sized, but someone with thicker fingers may have trouble reaching this switch. Also, the volume buttons exhibit a slight rattle when you shake your phone from side to side. It is relatively minor though and I do not really notice it when using the phone day to day.

[​IMG]

Now for the ports. Although deep, they seem adequate in size for a case like this. There is a little bit of wiggle room when plugging in the stock Apple Earpods, so headphones with a slightly larger cable "should" fit. There is a generous amount of space for the lightning cable as well. The official lightning to 30-pin cable fits which I am very grateful for (I use this cable in my car daily). Because of this, some third party cables will likely fit although I do not have any of those to test with.

[​IMG]

There is also the camera cutout (suede jacket combination only). Although I like the design of this cutout, I wish it were just a bit smaller so that you did not see the slate backing on the phone. I know this is not the fault of Avivo though since Apple requires the cutout to be a certain size to prevent issues with the flash.

[​IMG]

Fit and Feel:

Although it does not look like it due to the "Rails" along the sides, this case feels great in your hand. The soft touch coating on the sides gives you a decent amount of grip and the edges are raised up just enough to give a bit of lay on table design with your typical screen protector (not sure about the glass ones).

[​IMG]

"Bumper" combination:
    This is the reason I was originally looking at this case (I'm a big fan of bumper style cases). With this case, it looks good and works well. It has a decent lip around the back edge to protect the back. Not much else to say that’s not covered in the other sections. The inner plastic ring is a little more glossy than I would like but this is not necessarily an issue and more of a preference thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Suede Jacket" Combination:

Like I said, I bought this case because I am a big fan of bumpers. However, this combination took me by surprise. I love how the suede texture feels my hand when gripping the phone and this is one of the few cases where I feel the branding actually adds to the look of the case. The copper badge matches perfectly with the buttons and gives the whole case a luxury feel to it. I've already gotten a couple compliments in just the first two days of using it in this combination. The photos really do not do it justice. My only concern would be how the suede will hold up over time since it is a difficult material to clean.

[​IMG]

The Future is Bright:

One thing I have failed to mention so far is why there is the rail design along the sides. This is because of something Avivo calls "The RAIL System". The RAIL System allows users to add accessories such as a kickstand or an extra layer of protection that slides onto the phone via the bevels in the side of the case. Unfortunately, they do not have any of these accessories for sale yet. I contacted them about it and was told that they are in the prototyping stage and hope to have them out by September if all goes well. I'm excited to see what they have in store for this. This seems like an interesting feature that adds to the already unique design of this case.

[​IMG]

Synopsis,

Overall, this is an excellent case. It feels great in the hand and I love the look of it. The fact that you really get two cases with this (both the bumper and suede back options) is great and makes up a bit for the cost ($49.99). I also look forward to seeing what lies ahead with "The Rail System".

As an additional note, at the time of writing this if you go to their Facebook page they are having a half off sale on these cases for the first 500 purchases (https://www.facebook.com/AvivoStyle). The discount code is "avivonow" (all lower case). This brings the case down to $20-$25, which I feel is an amazing price for what you get here.

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

Very cool looking case. Thank you for the review. If only they had these at retail stores. Mind contacting the company for a group buy?

3. ARSkemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Typically group buys are to get a discounted price, correct? They're already half off at the moment with the code in my previous post (assuming that it's still working).

4. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I'm starting to see a lot of reviews taking place on decks and patios.

But on the topic, this is a very nice looking case! A lot of attention to detail.

5. afinch1992, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Did you order your case through their website? I could not get my order to go through...

edit: got a quick response from customer support. seems to be a known issue

6. erieboyz macrumors newbie

I've been trying the past few days and same thing has been happening. Glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for contacting them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

7. ARSkemp, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

ARSkemp thread starter macrumors 6502

I've confirmed their website is not longer working as well. You will probably have to use the contact page for ordering. Hopefully they have this corrected before the discount code expires.

8. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

after some back and forth they let me know they are moving to new servers or something along those lines, so the ordering system may be down a few days. The code is good for another 2 weeks based on the fb page, but it doesnt hurt to contact them and make sure you do get the discount later on

9. afinch1992, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Just received my case!! They were kind enough to throw in next day air for my troubles. From the second I opened the box I was impressed. I got the same combination as the one above (and have a terrible camera atm), so I decided not take pics.

The one word I would just to describe this case is solid. It honestly feel like it is glued to the phone when its on. I tried out the suede backing first and loved it, but it was already starting to get a little dirty, so I'm now saving it for special occasions or whenever I can get my hands on some kind of stain defender. Overall, it definitely has a premium feel and seems like it will be fairly protective. I highly recommend it if you like the style. The "avivonow" 50% off promo does run until Aug 16th, so for now at $25 I think it is pretty reasonably priced for the quality of product that you get.

I should be receiving my Caze Thinedge today, so I will probably do a comparison of the two. Feel free to ask any questions in the mean time!

edit: forgot to mention, as ARSkemp stated, the ports are pretty small. I can reach the mute toggle, but barely. The headphone jack and lightning port are also a tight fit, but perfectly manufactured.

10. ARSkemp thread starter macrumors 6502

I noticed a couple stains that I had no idea where they came from so I decided to investigate how to clean them. I ended up buying corn starch and covering the back cover with it for ~ 24 hours which got the stains right out!

I also bought some suede protector (figured it was worth buying since I have a few other suede items I can use it on):
    http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Kiwi-Suede-Protector-4-25oz/dp/B001333OZQ

I put on 3-4 layers yesterday afternoon and let it sit overnight. Tested it today with a few splashes of water and it just beads up and falls right off. I'm much more concerned about dirt/oil though. I'll update this in a few days to see how well the protector holds up to daily wear and tear.

11. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Good tip. Thanks! I was going to do that but didn't have any of the materials. Might have to make a project of it this weekend.

I have to say, I am loving it as just the bumper though. Put a cheap one piece back protector on and I couldn't be happier with the look and feel

12. BarryL macrumors 6502

Good review and excellent Picts. Might have to get one.

13. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I purchased one 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing.
    Tried to contact them and still nothing.

14. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

did it show up in your card statement? They were going through a server transition around that time. I got a response from them within an hour of filling out a request on the site and received my case 2 business days after ordering it.

15. neotremer macrumors newbie

Avivo Cases

I'm a store manager for a Sprint store here in WA. We carry the cases in store now. Swing on by!

16. ARSkemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update:

So far the protector has held up decently. No more noticeable markings since I put it on. Haven't used the suede back every day but I would say it's on about 75% of the time. Tested water drops on it again and they "semi" bead up (much less than before). Still, what water didn't bead up dried very quickly and since I still haven't seen any noticeable dirt marks or stains I'm pretty happy overall.

17. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

I used the code to get the price down to 25$ but the website keeps on charging 25 bucks for shipping (To CT) ..Did you have to pay as much?

Amazon prime is selling the thing for 34 bucks BTW

18. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

Just an update:

Their was some problem with the website as it was charging me an extra 15$ for shipping...The corrected the error and billed me for only 25$ with the code..Its a steal for that price !

My quest for an Iphone case has finally ended (I bet i've bugged many along the way)...

As far as protecting the back, I have a suede protector spray i got with my boots from Geox, so will just use that...

19. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Would the jacket back piece still work with a back protector on? I want a back protector when I use it as a bumper but I don't want to take off my phantomskins to use the jacket when I feel like it.

20. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

Thanks for the review! The Avivo website was working this morning when I ordered my case using the discount code. $25 for the case and no shipping charge seemed like a good deal. Looking forward to trying the black bumper with carbon fiber back on my Space Gray iPhone 5S.

21. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

I just wish they sold the back covers separately..

22. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

Received my Avivo Rail Carbonate today - only two days after ordering. I had some user initiated confusion regarding the combination of frame, rail (bumper), and back cover, but that was soon alleviated by watching relevant YouTube videos.

I have to say I love the feel of the Rail Carbonate bumper on the iPhone 5S. The carbon fiber (like) back is really nice as well and the copper covered buttons are very responsive and a bit unusual. The rail and bumper combinations are very tight, though they don't really create an issue when taking them off the iPhone after a few practice rounds.

The back cover when used by itself is nice, but I preferred the back cover coupled with the rail (bumper) combination. Together they look and feel right and provide the maximum protection for the iPhone.

Bottom line, for $25, I think the case is a very good deal. Though slightly larger than my favorite case, the Spigen Neo Hybrid - the Avivo Rail Carbonate edges out the Neo Hybrid for me in terms of the bumper's tactile feel - which as previously stated, is great.

Thanks again to ARSkemp for reviewing the Avivo Rail Carbonate and providing the discount code - which is still working for 50% off the price of the case.

23. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Did you ever get a shipping notification or did it just come? I ordered mine Saturday and I don't know if it has shipped yet, I'm anxious to get it!

24. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

I also ordered the case a few days ago, and received no shipping notification..Since I am traveling abroad i thought that my credit-card did not go through. I dropped avivo an email and a day later they confirmed that the case has been shipped out.

25. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

I received two emails from Avivo after my purchase.

The 1st email noted my order status had changed to 'confirmed'.

The 2nd email was a 'shipping notification' - and a link to their website from my order number. The link took you to their website but required a log-in which I didn't do. (I used PayPal to make the purchase so don't recall if I created an account or not - probably not.)

UPS delivered the box with the Avivo Rail Carbonate yesterday afternoon, no signature required.

The lack of a tracking number kind of bothered me, but it made the surprise arrival of the Rail Carbonate even that more sweet. :cool: