Review: BestSkinsEver iPhone 3G vs InvisibleShield (with pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by taylorwilsdon, Jul 20, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You can see everything with all the pics here but my short version is:

Conclusion:
    BestSkinsEver are made of the same material as the InvisibleShield and offer the same protection. Where they differ is in the design, presentation and ease of use. BSE requires you to download the application instructions in a PDF from their website and make your own solution, where Zagg sends an elaborate box with instructions, a little squeegee and the application solution.

[​IMG]

Are these little perks worth $20 more? Probably not, especially since you’ll be waiting at least a month to get your Invisibleshield with the current delays. If you prefer a seamless back and somewhat easier application, go for the IS. If you’re willing to put in a little more effort to save $20, go with the BSE. They’ll both protect your new phone nicely.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

FYI.....Invisi-shield full body skin is available at all best buys for 14.99. With no wait!

3. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Front only is $15 at best buy. Full body is going to be $25 or more (if you buy the front for $15, you have to buy the back for $15 separately and you're up to $30 with more waiting because BB doesn't sell the back). Front only is double what the full body is at BSE, full body is quadruple.

Not a valid comparison...

4. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Full body at MY local best buy is 14.99. Maybe its a mistake on the price sticker.

5. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

According to Best Buy they don't carry the front/back combo yet. Seems like they don't know what they have or you are mistaken.

6. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

No, you're mistaken. I've been following all these threads and even just called my local Best Buy. They do not carry a full body option at all, at any cost. The front shield only costs $15.

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Im going to go back and take a picture of it and post it. Box said full body screen for 3g iphone.

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

9. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

If you line it up properly, yes.

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

Do you have a clearer picture of the side, I want to make sure BSE is the same as Bodyguardz because I really don't feel like buying 2 sets of film protector for $25 ;)

11. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I can take one, but remember, my application wasn't good.

Taken with a true macro lens. Lots of little hairs :) It does cover the chrome.
    [​IMG]

(click to view obviously)

12. illutionz macrumors 65816

Great Sir, thank you very much. Your application is the same as how I applied the bodyguardz to the original iPhone...

you know, once bitten twice shy... I bought bodyguardz once and would prefer NOT to buy them again... $25 is way too much >< granted if i have someone else to split the bill, it will be good. However with the 3G, none of my friend is going to buy it just yet ;)

Again, than you very much

13. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Happy to help.

14. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

No your not, because they don't have it. They have the front cover, not the full. Save the gas.

15. ASN21 macrumors member

And you realized that you don't know how to read because you haven't posted in over 2 hours. Bestbuy ONLY SELLS THE FRONT SHIELD. NOT FULL BODY.

16. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Indeed. Everyone but he knows it :D

Back on topic then... this is much cheaper than the invisibleskin.

17. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I've got a Bodyguardz on the way and I'll be posting a review of that when I get it, and I'll compare it to the BSE.

18. andrewjnyc macrumors member

Does BSE still use separate pieces to cover the top and bottom bezels? Those were incredibly tough to apply to the original iPhone.

19. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

In my opinion the BSE is very easy to apply. I put multiple on the original iPhone and my iPhone 3g was just as simple. Biggest problem (and one of the most questionable design decisions ever) is the 2 piece back. It looks terrible and is easily noticeable.

I took mine off after a day of use. Great price, but the two piece back really ruins the look in my opinion.

There are two pieces (top and bottom) for the back. The chrome covers are part of these peices so it is different than the original version which was one peice with 2 separate chrome covers. Hope I described that correctly.

20. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

for those who installed the two piece back. Did you put once piece on at a time and let it dry before u put the second piece ?

21. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Yes I did. I really don't like the 2 piece back but they have a 1 piece version out now.

22. macguyss macrumors newbie

23. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I'm thinking of going to an Invisible Shield kiosk in Irvine to have them install it for me. Is it worth it? I hate putting those things on with liquid, and I'd rather have someone used to it do it for me.

Has anyone had a kiosk worker do the installation?

24. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Look at this thread before you buy IS:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=530491

Many people have negative stories about them (10+ in that thread).

25. hashbrown macrumors newbie

I had originallly ordered the 2-piece BSE by mistake and I have to say they have great customer service. They responded quickly when I realized that it wasn't a 1-piece and promptly sent me a new set of 1-piece skins while letting me keep the original 2-piece order.

The new skin is on and great. I've used the 1st gen iphone skin as well and loved it.