iPad Review: Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by yang88she, Nov 14, 2013.

1. yang88she macrumors regular

Coming from an iPad 3, I used use the logitech ultathin keyboard case with it and I was very happy with it.

in comparison to the new updated one for the air, I just want to mention a few things for those that maybe looking at purchasing one for your new air.

Pros:
    1. the keyboard does have the magnet sleep mode when closed
    2. they improved the "strength" and size of the magnet on the keyboard, it really does take some force to remove the keyboard from the iPad
    3. to prevent scratching the bottom of the keyboard, there are now a large rubber piece that runs parallel to the locking magnet and 2 small rubber feet that not only prevents scratching but keeps the keyboard from sliding around.

Cons:
    1. My biggest gripe is the area where the iPad sits on the keyboard when in use:
    the previous model, literally locked in (I'm guessing with magnets), and you could carry your ipad with the keyboard locked to the iPad (ie. moving from the dining room table to the couch etc.) The updated keyboard has such a weak magnet that carrying it this way, is impossible. (I've had to be ultra concious not to carry or move around the air like this, as I've nearly dropped the keyboard twice now)

Overall, logitech did a great job with the updated ultrathin keyboard for the Air. Has the great key response that we are all used to, and it looks great matched up with the air.

Although the weaker magnet for the keyboard connection was an annoyance, I'm still very happy with it, I didn't go with the folio, b/c honestly I didn't like that the caps lock was the oversized "A" key.

2. w00tini macrumors 6502a

yang! <3

anyway, yeah I'm hearing the same issues with this keyboard. I had the first gen with an iPad 3 and loved the combo. hoping these issues get ironed out so I can use one with my air.

3. Epiphron macrumors regular

Hey good review. Just wondering, did you notice any problems with the magnetic hinge? Mine was so strong that it actually left a crack on the hinge plastic after repeated use. Will be returning it and hoping its just a first batch issue..

4. yang88she thread starter macrumors regular

Haha hey!

Hmm that's something that should be of concern, thanks as I will be on the look out for any stress fractures on my hinge.

Here are some comparison pics

[​IMG]

Magnet size comparison

[​IMG]

Back side comparison (sorry for the smudges, I'm in the restaurant business)

[​IMG]

Rubber feet

[​IMG]

A perfect match

[​IMG]

5. mike1111 macrumors member

Are there any real indications from Logitech that the weak magnets are just a first batch problem? E.g. we know from Belkin support that the iPad Air cases will get working Smart Cover functionality with the second batch scheduled for December.

6. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I'm a bit concerned about the weight added to make me feel the device isn't exactly Air. I know it does not add that much additional weight but I just have a black Smart Cover now. That doesn't protect the back obviously, this keyboard would so I guess I have to decide since it would serve a dual purpose. Maybe I'll wait on a sale.

7. Mockenrue macrumors 6502

I had the older gen Ultrathin for my iPad3, and now the new one for the iPad Air. While it's true that the groove magnet is weaker, I never feel that it's unstable. You probably don't want to whip it around from the top of the iPad anymore, but I don't really have a need for that anyway. The key to any of these keyboard cases is to be gentle when poking the screen.

8. Edwardconde macrumors newbie

I just bought one 2 days ago.. and i can say the keyboard for my ipad3 seems to be better made. Have any of you seen a small gap between the top of keyboard and the base of the keyboard when the ipad is in place?

I have some shots of the gaps i am talking about on my blog... I have reached out to Logitech support and they told me to take it back to Best Buy and buy another one... I checked Staples and they had a demo unit but that also showed a gap.

Here are my pics of the gap...
    http://digitalchemicals.blogspot.com/2013/11/logitech-ultrathin-keyboard-cover-for.html

9. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

Happy to have found this thread, and thank you for the review--it's excellent to hear from actual users as well as the company white sheets or tech blogs.

I'm so torn about this one. I have been using the first one for the iPad3 for a year, and I use it all the time. I haven't sold the iPad3 yet because I still don't own a keyboard for the new Air and I'd miss it. So I was totally looking forward to this one. But I keep hearing that it's not as good as the first in myriad ways. It's either the issue of the magnet strength in the groove being lacking as you said, or the plastic separating as someone else did. A few reviews have said that the sleep/wake doesn't work properly. I tend to base my opinion on overall consensus, and this keyboard seems to be tracking at "meh".

And then there's that Belkin Qode one. It looks like it would fit the bill too, and it's aluminum rather than plastic, the only issue is they don't seem to want to release the silly thing.

So the question is, should I get the Logitech and deal with whatever issues I find, or wait for Belkin and take a shot?

Does anyone have any experience with other Belkin keyboards? How are they for build quality and to work with? Is there a chance the new Qode will be what the old Logitech was, and new Logitech should be?

10. yang88she thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have the plastic issues that Edwardconde does on my white one, after his reply, I did check mine immediately. I really do enjoy the keyboard, and my only gripe is the weak magnet strength in the groove. I haven't had an issue with the sleep feature, but b/c the iPad imessenger is sinked, I do see that the iPad "turns on" when I receive an imessage, even when the iPad is closed.

If you have any additional questions, or need any additional close up pics, then feel free to ask.

yang

11. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I have the space grey one for the Air and it does not have the sleep/wake function. In fast, Logitech says this edition doesn't have that functionality at all. Check & make sure the screen is actually off...I wonder what's going on with that...

12. robertpetry macrumors 6502

Funny, I played with two at Best Buy today and they both had the sleep wake functionality. What concerns me about the cover is that it doesn't stay shut. The magnet holding the previous version closed was weak but worked a bit. This one has no pull at all. I am very concerned about carrying it and having it fall open.

13. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I agree with you on that. However, I purchased an Incase sleeve at 50% off & that will provide the extra protection...as well as keep it together. :)

I'm okay with the lack of sleep/wake functionality. Not a deal breaker at all...just an annoyance. I'd return it to Amazon, but I already threw away the box. :(

14. yang88she thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I also use an Incase sleeve that I used to use with my old ipad 3

15. robertpetry macrumors 6502

If I need to carry it in a sleeve anyway I might as well use the Folio case. At least that folds all the way around. This keyboard is a good idea poorly executed.

16. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Definitely don't need a sleeve...just like the idea. I won't always take it with me...but it will be nice to have the extra protection.

17. robertpetry macrumors 6502

It sounds like the other option is to put a piece of duct tape on the outside to hold it shut against the iPad. ;) At this point I might just go with a folding keyboard that I can put in my slim briefcase.

18. Mockenrue macrumors 6502

Mine definitely supports sleep/wake. While I agree that the new one doesn't have magnets to hold it shut, I don't think the old one did either - at least not on the one we have for our iPad 3. In fact, I remember people complaining that that the box had magnets to keep the packaging closed, but not the keyboard itself - which was considered misleading.

19. AppleInLVX macrumors 6502a

AppleInLVX

So, how soon before the 'first run' of these keyboards is done and Logitech releases the ones with the tweaks to correct all the little annoyances? Are they in stores now? Does it take a few months?

20. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

THAT was weird...I had to return my first iPad because of dust under the screen. Now, this new iPad Air has the sleep/wake functionality with the Ultrathin Keyboard! TOTALLY WEIRD.

LOVING it now!!!

21. enzo thecat, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

enzo thecat macrumors 6502

enzo thecat

You might want to return it. I also have one for my ipad 3 as well as one for my Air. The magnet in the dock is actually stronger in the Ultrathin for the Air. Violent shaking wont dislodge it.

And for the record, My ipad goes into sleep/wake mode with both versions of my keyboards.

22. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

Well, I made a real quick review thread of this item and my main complaint is he lack of hold the cover has when it's closed. There is basically no magnet hold when the lid is shut. It easily comes open when you hold the iPad a certain way. I take it this keyboard cover does not have this functionality? The magnets seem to only be there for the sleep/wake function and nothing else.

23. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

Well I contacted Logitech concerning my issues. When the iPad is inserted to use the keyboard the keyboard is being pushed up a bit... like the other user in this thread is experiencing. They indicated this was obviously a problem and have agreed to send me a new unit. I am crossing my fingers this will be a perfect keyboard cover since it's one of the latest ones made and being shipped directly from Logitech. We will see.

24. w00tini macrumors 6502a

the poor quality is obviously being admitted by logitech

best buy has dropped the price to 79.99 to clear out inventory, it seems

25. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I saw it on Amazon for $69.99.

I have the case, and I really like mine. No issues at all.