Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Review: Logitech's Folio Touch With Trackpad for iPad Pro is an Affordable Alternative to Apple's Magic Keyboard

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
logitech best support and quality

Sorry, I replaced two cases with them, their support is garbage, at least the one via email.
Quality is also average,mir we wanna be positive. Keyboards and mice great, anything else for tablets is mediocre.

AudiA4

macrumors member
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
If your use-case is carrying your iPad around in your backpack or briefcase, then a common keyboard case such as Apple's Smart Keyboard Folio or this Logitech are likely your best solution. But the problem with these options is that they slow you down in converting it back to just an iPad. The need to unclip it or slide it out creates enough user friction, that you end up rarely (read: never) using the iPad independently. It sounds trivial, but that is exactly why the Magic Keyboard is unique - - it allows your iPad to actually be used as an iPad (gasp!).

I appreciate your detailed breakdown, but this is where you lose me. I find it ironic that you’d call the Magic Keyboard’s “killer feature” its ability to convert to a slate/tablet use. Huh? You think REMOVING the whole contraption is killer? As a portable device, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO with the leftover, orphaned hardware in a meeting, or on a plane?! That isn’t convenient. It’s a hassle. The “conversion” to slate/tablet use is actually the Smart Keyboard Folio’s “killer feature,” because guess what, you just fold the cover back behind 180 degrees, like a real folio, and voila, instant slate/tablet, and I’m not left wondering what to do with an orphaned case/keyboard dock. You don’t have to take it off. I LOVE Apple’s solution here, because it’s elegant and instantly converts to either use WITHOUT having to remove anything - but even if you want to, it’s just as easy to remove as the Magic Keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manzanito

Manzanito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2010
This Logitech keyboard is simply forcing the iPad Pro to be a laptop. Both of Apple’s keyboards, the Magic and Folio, make it so easy to shift from laptop-like device to tablet form with zero prying of the device from a case. Maybe there are people who are ok with that, as they’re ONLY using the iPad Pro as a computer in landscape, but then they’re missing out on the benefits of a thin and powerful tablet, because to fold up the Logitech to make it tablet-usable, you’re having to handle a device that’s now twice and thick and heavy.

I understand the issue of price, where the Magic Keyboard is expensive, but if you use it for college or work, and get 3+ years out of it, it becomes a very reasonable investment. I was going to buy a Magic Keyboard, but I’m now holding out for the new new iPad Pro that will hopefully launch in the next 6 months, give or take. I’m guessing that there will be a V.2 version of the MK, once new iPad Pro’s launch. And if not, I’ll be happy getting the MK when I get the new iPad Pro.
It’s not forcing the iPad to be anything, just fold it and you have a tablet.

Harshan

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
I notice that it has a price point. What is the difference between a price and a price point?

GuruZac

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2015
This is an impressive option, especially given the price difference. I think a pro with the Logitech is the function row of keys and material. But honestly, I love everything about my Magic Keyboard and in my opinion, the built in USB-C port on the MK is almost worth the price of admission. It’s a much more practice way to charge while freeing up the iPad‘s built in port to charge my accessories.

hortod1

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
You’d assume working in aviation, you’d be aware that there is a big wide world out there beyond the US and all the carriers you’ve listed. Pre-lockdown I flew a lot within Europe and transatlantic to US (east and west coast) with numerous airlines. Almost always in business or first. Never had the issue described.

Logitech only released the keyboard last month, well *after* lockdown, so of course you haven’t had the issue described.

Reactions: bobob

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
(and no, no one needs a track pad for an iPad...a mouse, maybe...but not a track pad).
Thanks for letting me know I don’t knee a track pad for my iPad Pro. Should I throw my Magic Keyboard away???

jmgregory1

macrumors 68020
I appreciate your detailed breakdown, but this is where you lose me. I find it ironic that you’d call the Magic Keyboard’s “killer feature” its ability to convert to a slate/tablet use. Huh? You think REMOVING the whole contraption is killer? As a portable device, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO with the leftover, orphaned hardware in a meeting, or on a plane?! That isn’t convenient. It’s a hassle. The “conversion” to slate/tablet use is actually the Smart Keyboard Folio’s “killer feature,” because guess what, you just fold the cover back behind 180 degrees, like a real folio, and voila, instant slate/tablet, and I’m not left wondering what to do with an orphaned case/keyboard dock. You don’t have to take it off. I LOVE Apple’s solution here, because it’s elegant and instantly converts to either use WITHOUT having to remove anything - but even if you want to, it’s just as easy to remove as the Magic Keyboard.

First of all, i have to ask - Are you really going to carry an iPad Pro on an airplane / train / bus as is, with no briefcase / bag / satchel, etc.? I mean really, that just doesn’t seem like a realistic scenario. For those of us who generally travel with a bit more detritus, I know I simply leave my Keyboard Folio in my bag when I only want to use the iPad Pro for watching movies on the plane. There have been plenty of times over the past two years that I just didn’t want to have the KF on the iPad and took it off and put it in my bag, or when at home simply leave it on my desk. In fact, there are enough times when I just don’t have the room to have the iPad Pro in the folio and it’s simply easier to hold it as a naked tablet, especially on planes and in bed.

This idea that there is a moment of panic - Oh my gosh, WHAT am I going to do with this keyboard folio that has no home once the iPad is removed? I‘m probably going to leave it on the table at Starbucks or in the cab because I just can’t remember where I put it when I didn’t want the iPad Pro in it...

Maybe there are people out there who simply can’t remember things like this, or as I questioned, people who carry just an iPad Pro in a case, with no bag, no pack, and that same person just can’t remember to pick up the folio after pulling the iPad from it. I’m sure there are a couple of people out there who fit this description, but I’m guessing they’re the exception, not the rule.

AudiA4

macrumors member
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
First of all, i have to ask - Are you really going to carry an iPad Pro on an airplane / train / bus as is, with no briefcase / bag / satchel, etc.? I mean really, that just doesn’t seem like a realistic scenario. For those of us who generally travel with a bit more detritus, I know I simply leave my Keyboard Folio in my bag when I only want to use the iPad Pro for watching movies on the plane. There have been plenty of times over the past two years that I just didn’t want to have the KF on the iPad and took it off and put it in my bag, or when at home simply leave it on my desk. In fact, there are enough times when I just don’t have the room to have the iPad Pro in the folio and it’s simply easier to hold it as a naked tablet, especially on planes and in bed.

This idea that there is a moment of panic - Oh my gosh, WHAT am I going to do with this keyboard folio that has no home once the iPad is removed? I‘m probably going to leave it on the table at Starbucks or in the cab because I just can’t remember where I put it when I didn’t want the iPad Pro in it...

Maybe there are people out there who simply can’t remember things like this, or as I questioned, people who carry just an iPad Pro in a case, with no bag, no pack, and that same person just can’t remember to pick up the folio after pulling the iPad from it. I’m sure there are a couple of people out there who fit this description, but I’m guessing they’re the exception, not the rule.

I stand 100% behind my assertion. The fact is, to have to remove something to add functionality is inherently an inelegant solution compared to Apple’s other option in this space. The only thing the Magic keyboard adds is a trackpad, at the cost of significant bulk, weight, cost and lack of versatility (and yes, I’ve made plenty of day trips to Dallas carrying ONLY my iPad as a carry-on). But however you want to spend your money is up to you (and I mean that seriously...I’m glad it works for you - clearly, we all have different priorities).

Last edited:

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
A trackpad is not necessary to operate an iPad. If that optional input method is important to you, there are now plenty of options.
A radio isn’t necessary to operate a car, but it sure makes an hour long commute a lot more tolerable...

I guess I’ll pull my magic keyboard with track pad out of the garbage can.

Reactions: Darth Tulhu

jaworskimatt

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2019
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
That’s one of the drawbacks of using a tablet over a laptop with a built in screen stand.

These two solutions are solutions that answer two different questions depending on the user’s needs.

Apple picked a side here and went with the more laptop-like approach and made it easy to switch to tablet mode by the ease of removing the tablet from the case.

Logitech takes the PC 2-in-1 approach instead.

Basically Logitech managed to combine worst features of both device types into one, resulting in something too clunky to be a tablet and too unstable to be a laptop.

jaworskimatt

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2019
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
lack of protection for me

I understand your point, but "protection" was never my angle when picking accessories.

I personally don't like to hide the beautiful Apple devices in cases, if it's always "protected" how can I enjoy the design? And what't the point of protecting it, if you don't care too look at it anyway? The magnetic Apple iPad cases / old school screen covers have always been great because they mostly focused on covering the screen and providing some sort of a stand.

It's personal preference and there are many people on both sides.

The question of price answers itself for some of us when we look at this gray monstrosity and imagine pulling the device out and pushing it back in multiple times every day or be forced to hold a device twice as thick and heavy only for "protection".

For me personally MK was a great buy, Logitech has some homework to do.

Reactions: bobob

notabadname

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
This is one area where the Folio Touch outshines the Magic Keyboard because Apple's keyboard does not fold back and needs to be removed if you want to use the iPad in a flat orientation. . . . . . while it's not difficult to take it off, it's a hassle

this is a pretty funny statement. “Hassle” to remove the iPad from the Magic Keyboard? That’s like saying it is a hassle to pick up a cup. Seriously. It‘s held on by magnets, LOL. Maybe a second or so to lift from the keyboard - and the feel of the bare iPad when using it this way, or handing to someone to show the screen, blows away the clunky nature of the Folio. I am typing this at the moment on my Magic Keyboard, in bed - the sturdiness of the apple implementation is outstanding. The hinge design alone is worth the price of admission to me, especially coupled with the ease of removal of the tablet if I choose to due graphics/art on the iPad - instantly a lightweight table to hold anyway I desire.

Hassle to remove. (Yet it’s not difficult) That’s really funny Stuff.

Reactions: pdaholic and bobob

AudiA4

macrumors member
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
This is one area where the Folio Touch outshines the Magic Keyboard because Apple's keyboard does not fold back and needs to be removed if you want to use the iPad in a flat orientation. . . . . . while it's not difficult to take it off, it's a hassle

this is a pretty funny statement. “Hassle” to remove the iPad from the Magic Keyboard? That’s like saying it is a hassle to pick up a cup. Seriously. It‘s held on by magnets, LOL. Maybe a second or so to lift from the keyboard - and the feel of the bare iPad when using it this way, or handing to someone to show the screen, blows away the clunky nature of the Folio. I am typing this at the moment on my Magic Keyboard, in bed - the sturdiness of the apple implementation is outstanding. The hinge design alone is worth the price of admission to me, especially coupled with the ease of removal of the tablet if I choose to due graphics/art on the iPad - instantly a lightweight table to hold anyway I desire.

You know what’s hilarious? You thinking that constantly attaching and removing a device is either a convenient or elegant solution.

Reactions: muzzy996

markrath

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
you might as well get a MacBook since the price is almost the same when adding the keyboard. And Mac os is more capable.

I have gone back and forth on this. I am about due for a new laptop but am going to wait now for the new Apple processor. However, I can do almost everything I need on my iPad. Some of it is very slow however. Guess I’ll wait and see what’s available in a couple years.

muzzy996

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018

For me the question wouldn’t be what to do with the keyboard. I agree, just stick it in a bag somewhere.

My preference is a kickstand back and a keyboard cover. That’s what I use on my 2nd Gen 12.9 - the kickstand back from Logitech’s prior gen combo and the Apple Smart Keyboard for the front cover. In the scenario you describe on a plane, I at least have the ability to take the keyboard cover off, stow it and use a kickstand to prop up the iPad in any angle I wish to do media consumption.

We’re all different though - I know a lot of people love both the standard keyboard folio and the magic keyboard - great for them. Eventually when I do upgrade to newer generations of iPP it will feel like a compromise having choose either one of those options, with the days of going without a back cover or with just a kickstand in back gone.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I can share my personal experience of why I returned my magic keyboard and bought the 2020 Smart Keyboard to replace my fraying 2018 iPad Pro Smart Keyboard.

I am a teacher, and a lot of my ipad usage does not involve typing on a flat surface. As such, the dealbreakers included the inability of the magic keyboard to fold backwards, which meant it was a hassle to use as a tablet on my lap during meetings, my iPad’s back was unprotected during lessons, and I can’t just whip it out of my bag, flip the Smart Keyboard back and use it as is.

I thought I could remove it and use my iPad Pro naked while the magic keyboard lay on the table, but it proved to be way more inconvenient than it was worth. It just caused my ipad to lose a lot of its spontaneity.

AudiA4

macrumors member
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
“constantly” ? add that to your hilarious-list as well. Word of the day; “hyperbole”.

Moving back and forth between tablet and keyboard? Constantly. It’s not hyperbole. It’s real-world use.

Quit defending the biggest drawback of the Magic Keyboard. If it works for your workflow, that’s great. But it’s inability to accommodate its primary and fundamental purpose as a tablet is a criticism nearly every review acknowledges.

Last edited:

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2019
I’m happy you have the option to turn it into whatever you’d like. But for me, saddling a device with that much stuff to make it do something it wasn’t originally envisioned to do is - at some point - absurd. It would be like buying a Miata and then deciding you need to be able to tow a 4,500 pound trailer and go off-roading, and so you try and jack it up and add giant wheels and tires, etc. when you really just need to go buy a truck.
That is a bad analogy (we're not talking about such extremes) but I can accept that is your opinion.

The iPad, by virtue of it's raw power, expanded storage options, and now mouse and trackpad support went from a passenger sedan to perhaps a hatchback VW Golf or compact SUV. Apple added the hitch to it (mouse and trackpad support).

So now, adding a keyboard and trackpad case is equivalent to towing your jetski, an Airstream, or hooking up a hitch-mounted bike rack. You hook it on and take it off as needed. And you can still park in the compact car spot when not attached, and your fuel efficiency is higher... I can go on and on.

I don't need to buy a (Mac) truck to do any of this.

The iPad is now one of the most flexible computing devices out there. It's modularity is what makes it so.

You can only use it as a tablet if you want. But for the rest of us, we now have options, even if you don't like them.

AudiA4

macrumors member
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR
That is a bad analogy (we're not talking about such extremes) but I can accept that is your opinion.

The iPad, by virtue of it's raw power, expanded storage options, and now mouse and trackpad support went from a passenger sedan to perhaps a hatchback VW Golf or compact SUV. Apple added the hitch to it (mouse and trackpad support).

So now, adding a keyboard and trackpad case is equivalent to towing your jetski, an Airstream, or hooking up a hitch-mounted bike rack. You hook it on and take it off as needed. And you can still park in the compact car spot when not attached, and your fuel efficiency is higher... I can go on and on.

I don't need to buy a (Mac) truck to do any of this.

The iPad is now one of the most flexible computing devices out there. It's modularity is what makes it so.

You can only use it as a tablet if you want. But for the rest of us, we now have options, even if you don't like them.

I don’t disagree with your perspective here. I wholeheartedly embrace the keyboard as folio (I have and love Apple’s Smart Keyboard Folio), but I think we could all agree that at some point the addition of add-ons and peripherals becomes absurd (for any device), it’s just that we’d all draw the line at a different place.

For ME, I love and embrace the (original?) idea of the iPad as the ultimate portable device, so if a peripheral/accessory is too bulky or awkward or heavy or cumbersome, I quickly lose interest...because at that point, I’ll just grab my MacBook. As evidenced by numerous comments here and on other forums, I’m not alone in this perspective.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2019
I don’t disagree with your perspective here. I wholeheartedly embrace the keyboard as folio (I have and love Apple’s Smart Keyboard Folio), but I think we could all agree that at some point the addition of add-ons and peripherals becomes absurd (for any device), it’s just that we’d all draw the line at a different place.

For ME, I love and embrace the (original?) idea of the iPad as the ultimate portable device, so if a peripheral/accessory is too bulky or awkward or heavy or cumbersome, I quickly lose interest...because at that point, I’ll just grab my MacBook. As evidenced by numerous comments here and on other forums, I’m not alone in this perspective.

I'm on the verge of replacing my Macs with iPads, but while I wait for Apple's release schedule I am agonizing over this.

I like the MBA's built in stand, trackpad, keyboard, ports, and overall computing flexibility.

I like the iPad's modularity, weight, power, touchscreen, Pencil support, case options, simplicity, and consistency with other iOS devices.

The iPad is still the ultimate portable device. It is as close as one-size-fits-all a device as Apple (or anyone) will ever make. And it will only get better.

These peripherals are just that. Apple is committed to the iPad being a standalone device, which is why these things are arriving so late in the iPad's existence, I think.

As I get older I continuously strive towards simplifying my life.

Two devices that I have to keep synced up (well, three if I count the iPhone) is MORE complicated and cumbersome.

The iPad and iPhone combo is MUCH simpler than, iPhone, iPad, Mac. Until the iPad was given trackpad support, it was a no-go for me. I need to be able to text-edit effectively, so my combo was iPhone & Mac (well, I actually use Android, but I'm switching once the Macs are replaced).

So in this instance, the peripherals go from absurd to game-changing. I can choose to make my weapon as light or as deadly as I need to for the particular mission. Grenade launcher? Not today, but I will need the silencer and laser scope.

Sounds like my mind's made up on my choice of weapon. ;)

Reactions: AudiA4

jmgregory1

macrumors 68020
I'm on the verge of replacing my Macs with iPads, but while I wait for Apple's release schedule I am agonizing over this.

I like the MBA's built in stand, trackpad, keyboard, ports, and overall computing flexibility.

I like the iPad's modularity, weight, power, touchscreen, Pencil support, case options, simplicity, and consistency with other iOS devices.

The iPad is still the ultimate portable device. It is as close as one-size-fits-all a device as Apple (or anyone) will ever make. And it will only get better.

These peripherals are just that. Apple is committed to the iPad being a standalone device, which is why these things are arriving so late in the iPad's existence, I think.

As I get older I continuously strive towards simplifying my life.

Two devices that I have to keep synced up (well, three if I count the iPhone) is MORE complicated and cumbersome.

The iPad and iPhone combo is MUCH simpler than, iPhone, iPad, Mac. Until the iPad was given trackpad support, it was a no-go for me. I need to be able to text-edit effectively, so my combo was iPhone & Mac (well, I actually use Android, but I'm switching once the Macs are replaced).

So in this instance, the peripherals go from absurd to game-changing. I can choose to make my weapon as light or as deadly as I need to for the particular mission. Grenade launcher? Not today, but I will need the silencer and laser scope.

Sounds like my mind's made up on my choice of weapon. ;)

Totally agree with your assessment. I remember getting the first gen iPad and it was great, as a larger screened iPhone-like product. I carried it along with my MacBook Air and iPhone, mainly as a consumption device. I upgraded a few times, stopping with the iPad Air (gen1) mainly because it just wasn’t good for productivity while traveling. I wasn’t able to quickly write proposals, or create / edit spreadsheets, even with a separate keyboard, so I effectively stopped using it.

When the iPad Pro’s launched I was intrigued and finally bit the bullet and got the 2018 12.9” model, along with the Keyboard Folio and stopped traveling with my rMBP 15”. It still wasn’t quite as productive, because the need to touch the screen disrupts keystroke efficiency. Once trackpad support was enabled, I’ve not used the rMBP and only use my iMac (at the office) when I need the screen area for big spreadsheets.

Otherwise I’m on my iPad Pro all day and into the night. It’s attached to the Keyboard Folio during the day, but come nighttime, when I’m reading news, or watching shows on it, it’s out of the folio the way nature and Apple intended. I will end up getting a new Magic Keyboard once I see whether Apple changes the next updated iPad Pro, I think. The fact that I’m not on a plane every week now gives me less reason to upgrade the keyboard, as I’m already using a Magic Trackpad 2 with it and really like the larger trackpad size. I don’t love the keys on the folio keyboard, but I’m so used to them now, I can type as fast on it as I can a normal keyboard.

I don’t see my ever going back to a laptop. The iPad Pro is just such a perfect device for what I need and want.

• Love
Reactions: Darth Tulhu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.