Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nanoleaf in June launched the Nanoleaf 4D Screen Mirror and Lightstrip Kit, which is an LED gradient light strip designed to go behind a television set. It uses a camera to detect what's on the screen, matching the colors of the light strip to the content on the TV.

nanoleaf-4d-kit.jpg

The light strip comes in two sizes, one that fits TVs and monitors up to 65 inches and one that fits TVs up to 85 inches. Either one can be cut to the ideal size for the TV or computer monitor that it's being used with. I tested with an 85-inch TV, so I didn't need to do any trimming, and in terms of size, the light strip was able to wrap almost the entire way around the TV.

There are 10 color zones per meter, so the light strip can display several different colors at once, and like other LED light strips on the market, it supports more than 16 million colors. Nanoleaf designed the light strips specifically for TV sets and monitors, and these are meant to be used for backlighting.

nanoleaf-4d-components.jpg

A camera attaches to the top of the TV with a mounting stand or it can be positioned at the bottom of the screen, and the colors detected by the camera are relayed to the light strip so that it can match what's displayed. Both the light strip and the camera attach to a controller unit that itself plugs into a power outlet.

Because of the way my TV is mounted, I have a small power strip at the back of it where I plugged in the light. I used adhesive to attach the controller, so all of the cords are hidden behind the TV. The design of the light does facilitate a setup where all of the cords can be hidden, but you will need some strong adhesive. The controller unit has options to turn on the lighting effect, so you might want to place it in a reachable location unless you're able to always use the app for control purposes.

nanoleaf-4d-lightstrip-attached.jpg

So far, the adhesive on the light strip has kept it up on my TV, but there are a couple corners where it's coming loose. Nanoleaf included some corner mounting hardware to route the 4D Lightstrip around corners, but the exterior design of my Sony TV didn't work with the hardware. I had to use the light strip alone, and I didn't have a good way to do the corners so they're always going to be angled in an odd way.

The main feature of the Nanoleaf 4D is the setup's ability to mirror the colors on the display to the LEDs on the light strip so the backlighting matches the TV content. There are HDMI boxes like the Hue Sync that do this, but with Nanoleaf's method, you don't need to have everything plugged into a central box and there are no limitations like no support for HDMI 2.1.

Backlighting that matches the content on a TV set or display adds to the immersiveness of what's being viewed, and it's a fun addition to a home theater or gaming setup. Not having to route accessories like my consoles and Apple TV through a secondary box is a major plus of the method that Nanoleaf is using to get this effect.

It's a little odd to have a camera at the top of the TV, but it blends into the background quickly enough and I don't notice it now. Nanoleaf included a privacy cover for the camera for when it's not in use, but the camera does not capture content and is only used to relay color to the light strip.

nanoleaf-4d-camera.jpg

Nanoleaf has four "Mirror Modes" that affect the intensity of the light and the frequency of the color changes. There's 1D, 2D, 3D, and 4D. 1D is a plain white lighting effect, 2D is a single color that matches one of the colors on the screen, 3D is multiple colors, and 4D is similar to 3D, but the colors shift more often. I prefer 2D or 3D mode over 4D, which can be a little too distracting. My partner, who does not care for behind-the-TV lighting, did not have a problem with 1D or 2D mode. I definitely appreciate Nanoleaf providing options, because it ensures the Lightstrip can suit a wide range of tastes.

There are two modes to control the saturation of the color. Cinematic is more subtle, while vivid is more saturated. For movie content, I prefer Cinematic, while games work well with Vivid, but there's also an option to choose your own settings for saturation, dynamic range, and white balance. A rhythm mode can be enabled to time the colors to the sound coming from the TV, but the colors change so frequently that I wouldn't recommend this mode if you're actually watching the TV. It's nice for if you have music on in the background and want matching ambient lighting.

nanoleaf-4d-subtle.jpg

To match the colors of the light with the appropriate part of the TV content, there is a calibration process done through the Nanoleaf app. You mark each corner of the Nanoleaf Lightstrip once it's been applied to the TV, and t... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: Nanoleaf 4D Adds Easy Content-Synced Backlighting to Your TV or Display

Account25476

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2021
Nanoleaf has recently turned out to be all show and no substance.

In March, I purchased the new Nanoleaf devices that support Thread. Right from the start, I encountered issues with integration into the Home app, even for basic tasks. I contacted customer support, which was very quick to respond, but the only solution they could offer was to reset the device and, if necessary, update the firmware. However, even the updates often struggled to install properly. Nanoleaf's official subreddit is filled with complaint posts and support requests, which speaks volumes about the situation. Despite the devices having a pleasant design, the software is completely unreliable, both in the iPhone app and the Mac app. In September, five months after the purchase, Thread-compatible devices continue to be problematic, and the updates (three in six months) haven't patched any issues. I even still have trouble changing my username in the Mac app, just to give you an idea of the app's state. If basic tasks don't work properly, it's clear that the rest is equally problematic.

The company is small, with fewer than 100 employees, according to Wikipedia. I even reached out to all three CEOs on LinkedIn to explain my experience and provide feedback on their products to help them improve. Small companies are usually more prone to respond and listen to customers to enhance their products, but none of the three CEOs ever got back to me. Clearly, they are not interested in understanding what went wrong in my purchasing experience, and that speaks volumes...

I don't recommend purchasing these products.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I was looking into TV Backlighting and just decided to go with the Govee T2. I was reading and there have been a lot of issues on reddit with the Nanoleaf offering ranging from install/setup issues, buggy app, and color sync issues.

The Govee T2 has good review on Amazon and was on sale, so decided to give it a spin.

I do have a few Phillips hue bulbs, but the need for the sync box or the $150.00 app on my TV + the Light Strip for 300$ made me decide to give something else a try.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S

In March, I purchased the new Nanoleaf devices that support Thread. Right from the start, I encountered issues with integration into the Home app, even for basic tasks. I contacted customer support, which was very quick to respond, but the only solution they could offer was to reset the device and, if necessary, update the firmware. However, even the updates often struggled to install properly. Nanoleaf's official subreddit is filled with complaint posts and support requests, which speaks volumes about the situation. Despite the devices having a pleasant design, the software is completely unreliable, both in the iPhone app and the Mac app. In September, five months after the purchase, Thread-compatible devices continue to be problematic, and the updates (three in six months) haven't patched any issues. I even still have trouble changing my username in the Mac app, just to give you an idea of the app's state. If basic tasks don't work properly, it's clear that the rest is equally problematic.

Appreciate your feedback, this is what I read as well and why I decided to buy the Govee T2.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
[One big advertisement from Macumors...]
I got it in early August. It took about a month of harranging customer service before several glitches were resolved, but the bottom line is, much as I thought I would like the strip reflecting the changing colors and brightness of whatever I was watching, I do NOT. It ends up being a huge distraction, as though the scene is actually taking place beyond the frame of the TV. What I do use it for is without the camera, just a simple soft light emanating from behind the TV. I find that this helps my eyes if the rest of the room is dark. Coulda used a small light behind the TV, but "live and learn," as they say.

Bboss

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2017

Nanoleaf in June launched the Nanoleaf 4D Screen Mirror and Lightstrip Kit, which is an LED gradient light strip designed to go behind a television set. It uses a camera to detect what's on the screen, matching the colors of the light strip to the content on the TV.

nanoleaf-4d-kit.jpg

The light strip comes in two sizes, one that fits TVs and monitors up to 65 inches and one that fits TVs up to 85 inches. Either one can be cut to the ideal size for the TV or computer monitor that it's being used with. I tested with an 85-inch TV, so I didn't need to do any trimming, and in terms of size, the light strip was able to wrap almost the entire way around the TV.

There are 10 color zones per meter, so the light strip can display several different colors at once, and like other LED light strips on the market, it supports more than 16 million colors. Nanoleaf designed the light strips specifically for TV sets and monitors, and these are meant to be used for backlighting.

nanoleaf-4d-components.jpg

A camera attaches to the top of the TV with a mounting stand or it can be positioned at the bottom of the screen, and the colors detected by the camera are relayed to the light strip so that it can match what's displayed. Both the light strip and the camera attach to a controller unit that itself plugs into a power outlet.

Because of the way my TV is mounted, I have a small power strip at the back of it where I plugged in the light. I used adhesive to attach the controller, so all of the cords are hidden behind the TV. The design of the light does facilitate a setup where all of the cords can be hidden, but you will need some strong adhesive. The controller unit has options to turn on the lighting effect, so you might want to place it in a reachable location unless you're able to always use the app for control purposes.

nanoleaf-4d-lightstrip-attached.jpg

So far, the adhesive on the light strip has kept it up on my TV, but there are a couple corners where it's coming loose. Nanoleaf included some corner mounting hardware to route the 4D Lightstrip around corners, but the exterior design of my Sony TV didn't work with the hardware. I had to use the light strip alone, and I didn't have a good way to do the corners so they're always going to be angled in an odd way.

The main feature of the Nanoleaf 4D is the setup's ability to mirror the colors on the display to the LEDs on the light strip so the backlighting matches the TV content. There are HDMI boxes like the Hue Sync that do this, but with Nanoleaf's method, you don't need to have everything plugged into a central box and there are no limitations like no support for HDMI 2.1.

Backlighting that matches the content on a TV set or display adds to the immersiveness of what's being viewed, and it's a fun addition to a home theater or gaming setup. Not having to route accessories like my consoles and Apple TV through a secondary box is a major plus of the method that Nanoleaf is using to get this effect.

It's a little odd to have a camera at the top of the TV, but it blends into the background quickly enough and I don't notice it now. Nanoleaf included a privacy cover for the camera for when it's not in use, but the camera does not capture content and is only used to relay color to the light strip.

nanoleaf-4d-camera.jpg

Nanoleaf has four "Mirror Modes" that affect the intensity of the light and the frequency of the color changes. There's 1D, 2D, 3D, and 4D. 1D is a plain white lighting effect, 2D is a single color that matches one of the colors on the screen, 3D is multiple colors, and 4D is similar to 3D, but the colors shift more often. I prefer 2D or 3D mode over 4D, which can be a little too distracting. My partner, who does not care for behind-the-TV lighting, did not have a problem with 1D or 2D mode. I definitely appreciate Nanoleaf providing options, because it ensures the Lightstrip can suit a wide range of tastes.

There are two modes to control the saturation of the color. Cinematic is more subtle, while vivid is more saturated. For movie content, I prefer Cinematic, while games work well with Vivid, but there's also an option to choose your own settings for saturation, dynamic range, and white balance. A rhythm mode can be enabled to time the colors to the sound coming from the TV, but the colors change so frequently that I wouldn't recommend this mode if you're actually watching the TV. It's nice for if you have music on in the background and want matching ambient lighting.

nanoleaf-4d-subtle.jpg

To match the colors of the light with the appropriate part of the TV content, there is a calibration process done through the Nanoleaf app. You mark each corner of the Nanoleaf Lightstrip once it's been applied to the TV, and t... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Review: Nanoleaf 4D Adds Easy Content-Synced Backlighting to Your TV or Display
Folks, I'm gonna be honest here. I don't. Get. The interest. Over. These Stupid. Nanoleaf lights. I'm I taking crazy pills? They are not bright or even remotely useful.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT

The company is small, with fewer than 100 employees, according to Wikipedia. I even reached out to all three CEOs on LinkedIn to explain my experience and provide feedback on their products to help them improve. Small companies are usually more prone to respond and listen to customers to enhance their products, but none of the three CEOs ever got back to me. Clearly, they are not interested in understanding what went wrong in my purchasing experience, and that speaks volumes...

Yeah my thread bulbs and strips have suddenly had a ton of issues in the last month and I dunno why. I reset a few of them which seemed to fix it but then another would act up or get slow. the panels I have in my kitchen work perfect but my living room ones keep turning on by themselves

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Actually that is not the purpose of back screen lighting (immersiveness). Instead its to make the viewers have less eye strain with bright scenes in overly dark rooms. It tends to neutralize the lighting into a larger area that your eyes take in. Most people normally wouldn't need that if the room is somewhat lighted, but if you like to work in a very dark environment watching your computer displays or entertainment gear this isn't a gimmick.

bias-lighting.jpg

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I have the govee setup and it works fine, similar this, but with an OLED tv, the dark scenes really suffer. Would prefer 100% black for these scenes.

Reactions: wanha

dragoon2745

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Actually that is not the purpose of back screen lighting (immersiveness). Instead its to make the viewers have less eye strain with bright scenes in overly dark rooms. It tends to neutralize the lighting into a larger area that your eyes take in. Most people normally wouldn't need that if the room is somewhat lighted, but if you like to work in a very dark environment watching your computer displays or entertainment gear this isn't a gimmick.

bias-lighting.jpg
This is the correct answer regarding eye strain. In addition, I have the Samsung QN90B and other lights in the room cause a rainbow effect due to a filtering layer meant to reduce glare and increase viewing angles. Having the TV backlit like this will allow me to have more lighting in the room without having that rainbow effect.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Why not just buy a Philips TV with Ambilight™ ?

Not available in the US. A fact, I - a European-moved-to-the-US - never understood. We LOVED our Philips Ambilight TV.

I jumped on the Hue Box when Philips finally came out with it a few years ago. Even after all this time, I just love it. As someone else above mentioned, it's personal preference. I'm certainly the target demographic. I would never buy the Nano thingy - that camera is horrendous. From everything I've read from before the Hue Box came out, there's also just a noticeable lag with any solutions that use a camera (including Hue's own approach back when)

I'm heavily invested in the Hue ecosystem, which in itself isn't exactly cheap. But I've eyed Nanoleafs every once in a while and always found them quite overpriced even in comparison to Hue...

IMG_7887.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.