Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Accessory maker Nomad today announced the launch of the new Base One Max 3-in-1, a high-end metal and glass charger that works with the iPhone, AirPods, and Apple Watch.

nomad-base-one-max-launch.jpg

This is a MagSafe charger, so it is able to charge a compatible iPhone at up to 15W. All iPhones since the iPhone 12 are able to charge at 15W with a MagSafe charger, with the exception of the iPhone 12 mini and the iPhone 13 mini, which charge at 12W.

Design wise, the Base One Max 3-in-1 looks almost identical to the Base One Max that Nomad came out with last year, but it has an extra charging spot behind the Apple Watch charging puck to accommodate AirPods. The charger features a metal base and a glass-covered top, and it is one of the more attractive charging options on the market.

The Base One Max is heavy, weighing in at over 1.5 pounds, so it's not going anywhere on your desk or nightstand. At this weight, it's not a travel charger, but the heft is nice because it keeps the charger stable when you pick up you iPhone. Nomad makes the charger in silver and carbide, with the former featuring white glass and the latter featuring black glass.

We were able to try out the charger for a couple of days ahead of launch, and it charges at the speed that Nomad advertises. The 15W charger works at up to 15W with MagSafe iPhones, and this charging spot can also be used with Qi-based devices. The dedicated AirPods charging spot charges at 5W, and the upright Apple Watch charging puck charges at the standard speed. It is worth noting that depending on your band, the Apple Watch can get in the way of the AirPods charging spot. Open bands are not an issue, but it is a tighter fit with closed bands like the Solo Loop, so there could be an issue with interrupted charging.

nomad-base-one-max-3-in-1.jpg

Nomad has not included a fast charge Apple Watch charging puck, so this is probably not a charger that you want to get if fast charging is a feature that you need. Fast charging is highly useful if you charge your Apple Watch briefly before sleep and before wearing it for the day, but for those who charge overnight, it's not as functional.

Because this is a flat MagSafe charger rather than one that is upright, it is not going to work with the new iOS 17 StandBy mode because that requires the iPhone to be placed in an upright horizontal position. The Base One Max 3-in-1 charges via USB-C, which is nice, but Nomad does not include the USB-C power adapter. Customers who buy this will need to power it with a 30W USB-C power adapter. While no adapter is included, it does come with a 2m USB-C to USB-C cable.

Nomad arguably makes some of the nicest chargers on the market, and if you're looking for something that is going to look stellar on your desk, this is the charger to pick up. At $170, though, it would be nice if it included a power adapter and faster Apple Watch charging because that is a premium price tag with a feature set that is not quite able to keep up with those from competitors.

The Base One Max 3-in-1 can be purchased from the Nomad website for $170.

Article Link: Review: Nomad's New Base One Max 3-in-1 Charger Looks Great, Lacks Some Functionality

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
I'll bet it won't hold your watch properly on the charger if you have a metal link bracelet. I just bought a $30 one from Amazon that works just fine - my OtterBox Defender knockoff case won't support MagSafe, otherwise I'd look for MagSafe capability.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
$170 is heavy without fully supporting features like fast charging on the Apple Watch.
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Apple retains full control over this functionality and other companies can't sell products with this functionality for the time being.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tech for Kings

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Apple retains full control over this functionality and other companies can't sell products with this functionality for the time being.
No, Apple licenses Watch chargers to other companies (that's what this company, Belkin, and others do). Belkin in fact has at least 2 fast charging Watch chargers available today, a flat one and a stand one (the stand one had to be upgraded for fast charging on the Watch).

They recently made Watch fast charging a requirement in this licensing scheme but I'm guessing this was designed before the requirement went into effect.

t2jd1967

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2021
To be fair, not everyone wants fast charging (I don't) and although I would baulk at the price, the functionality is exactly what I would be looking for once I switch to wireless charging. For now I will stick to using a few 5W iPhone wired chargers.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
This came close to what I’m looking for and I might have gotten it if it wasn’t both so expensive and Standby will soon exist. Also, AirPods cases have had magnets for MagSafe for a while now; why don’t any 3 in 1 chargers seem to include magnets on their AirPods spots?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is the holy grail of nightstand chargers for me:
  • Upright iPhone charger that allows the phone to be mounted horizontally for the new StandBy Mode. If the new iPhone has faster Magsafe charging per some rumors we've heard, say 20-30W, it would be ideal if it could support that as well.
  • Two Apple Watch chargers that charge up to full speed, not the older slower standard. Why two? Because the newer AirPods Pro connect magnetically to MagSafe and Apple Watch for charging. I stick my AirPods Pro on an Apple Watch charger in a little silicone mount on my desk during work hours and it's the most convenient way of doing it. It would be great if they were staggered in height one in front of the other, so it's easy to see and get at either.
  • Two USB-C charging ports on the back. One that charges at least 30W for the iPad Pro, and one that charges at least 100W for the MacBook Pro. On my nightstand I usually have all of these Apple devices each night, so it would be great to be able to easily charge all of them with one integrated solution
  • A freaking dimmer switch that goes from 0-100% for any charging LEDs. Or maybe make them turn off after a minute if it detects the room is dark with a little light sensor. Or better yet, who really even needs charging LEDs? The devices themselves can show when they are charging!
  • Heavy base with rubber backing so it doesn't want to tip over or slide around
  • Made out of high quality machined aluminum with multiple colorways (and is it possible to make Apple Watch and MagSafe chargers that are black?)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is the holy grail of nightstand chargers for me:
  • Upright iPhone charger that allows the phone to be mounted horizontally for the new StandBy Mode. If the new iPhone has faster Magsafe charging per some rumors we've heard, say 20-30W, it would be ideal if it could support that as well.
  • Two Apple Watch chargers that charge up to full speed, not the older slower standard. Why two? Because the newer AirPods Pro connect magnetically to MagSafe and Apple Watch for charging. I stick my AirPods Pro on an Apple Watch charger in a little silicone mount on my desk during work hours and it's the most convenient way of doing it. It would be great if they were staggered in height one in front of the other, so it's easy to see and get at either.
  • Two USB-C charging ports on the back. One that charges at least 30W for the iPad Pro, and one that charges at least 100W for the MacBook Pro. On my nightstand I usually have all of these Apple devices each night, so it would be great to be able to easily charge all of them with one integrated solution
  • A freaking dimmer switch that goes from 0-100% for any charging LEDs. Or maybe make them turn off after a minute if it detects the room is dark with a little light sensor. Or better yet, who really even needs charging LEDs? The devices themselves can show when they are charging!
  • Heavy base with rubber backing so it doesn't want to tip over or slide around
  • Made out of high quality machined aluminum with multiple colorways (and is it possible to make Apple Watch and MagSafe chargers that are black?)

A "fast-charging nightstand charger"?

Do you sleep in 2-hour shifts?

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I am starting to feel like these articles for charging stations and charging hubs should start with the price in the very first sentence or the title. That tells me if I should continue reading it or if I'm going to get all excited only to realize it's way more than I want to spend for a charging solution...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.