Review of SHINNORIE SNAP! case for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dugbug, Aug 9, 2010.

1. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

2. lao3hero macrumors member

3. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Thanks for the link OP, this is a VERY nice looking case for the minimalist and the price is very competitive and you can't beat free shipping!

4. adulti macrumors newbie

hmm

the website looks great and well-designed, just check out that they are from singapore. the products must be good, but i really do not need a handmade bag for my iphone.

5. mytran80 macrumors regular

i like the red and white one , looks like the color of japan's national flag , i might just jump on the bandwagon , thanks dug bug

6. mytran80 macrumors regular

case ordered , i hope they fix the camera issue , i'll email them anyway just to make sure :)

7. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I wish they sold just the microfiber pouch, that's something I need!

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Please post when you receive. Would like to hear your thoughts.

9. hockeydude35 macrumors member

How does this case feel in your pocket? Does it get stuck when you try to pull it out or does it slide out easily? I really like the design of this case, and I'm seriously considering ordering one.

10. lao3hero macrumors member

I think it's a Japanese product (general Inquiries (Japanese): info.jp@shinnorie.com), just that that webby shows a Singapore address which could be its distributor.

11. kevntw macrumors newbie

Bad Case !

I just got this case in after waiting for 2 weeks, bad case, the back is just a glue on a chap case. Sending it back for a refund. Was so looking forward to it too :(

12. lao3hero macrumors member

Could u post photos? Thx

13. mytran80 macrumors regular

Will do ;) , just got a reply back from them within the hour :eek:

This is there statement to me regarding the flash issue

Hi My Tran,

Please be assured that the camera flash issue has been solved.*
    Thank you.

Regards,
    Chris Chong

SHINNORIE PTE LTD***|** Customer Care Team

14. mytran80 macrumors regular

So you mean the quality is bad ? What about fitment? So the leather is glued on to a plastic plate? I don't mind that sounds like more protection to me , but pics would say a lot if you can post some

15. dugbug thread starter macrumors 65816

dugbug

Ah I disappeared from the thread for a bit but let me quote from the review and my own experiences as I have had mine for a few days:

On the pants pocket thing, from the review:
    And yeah, you don't once grab or hold (or see) plastic unless you pop off the iphone and look inside. No fingerprints, etc. The whole thing is wrapped nicely.

On the build quality:
    The leather is sewn and wrapped onto a hardshell case (back and sides, fully), which is a nice case btw. In my opinion it does add extra protection, and an upscale look. I certainly think the build quality is high but to each his own. I don't know why glue would surprise anybody, Im sure there is glue there somewhere given the thin tolerances of this thing. If you rub your thumb hard on the back you can push the leather around a bit, but not much, so its not glued down. Speaking only on the back a minute, it has glue points \ around the seal at the camera/LED opening (it is sealed so you don't have the leather cut edges or interior leather-to-hardshell show).

More on the quality: When I opened my package, the inner wall of the case was protected by a removable plastic film, guaranteeing no dust or scratches which I find professional. Also when squeezing the case, no plastic squeeks or bad fit.

Several pictures in the review, including a closeup of the back for the (now old issue I guess) LED. I can take pictures of mine.

16. hockeydude35 macrumors member

Yeah, if you could take a few more pics of your iPhone in this case...and show a close up or two of the back and the sides...that would be great! Thanks! :)

17. Steveo47 macrumors regular

waterfield designs sells a suede pouch for the iphone. One to fit the phone without the bumper (10$ + $4 if you want a pocket on the front). And then one to fit the bumper ($12 + $4 if you want the pocket). I ordered the one for the bumper without a pocket so hopefully its in this week.

18. Afro Blu macrumors member

Afro Blu

I had planned on ordering one of the shinnorie cases a while back. My husband beat me to the punch so I decided to wait and see what his looked like. I'm glad I didn't order, he likes the case but the leather looks cheap. You can also see the glue around the edges.

I havent seen the snap case in person but if the quality is like that of the case he has...i'm out.

19. dugbug thread starter macrumors 65816

dugbug

Ok here are some pics, which are probably nothing more than a showpiece for my pocket lint. I didn't think about cleaning the phone to pretty it up for show and tell. Also I have a film not so professionally on the front.

BTW, I stuck them on the (slow) dyerware server... but know I am an app dev and this is not an endorsement by dyerware ok? We don't care what case you buy ;) It was just a quick place to stick the pictures.

FWIW its a nice case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. hockeydude35 macrumors member

So that leather piece IS actually sewn onto the plastic case? It really does look like it's just glued on there...which seems kinda cheesy if that's the case. I'm really on the fence on this. It's either this case, or some of these Gelaskins.

21. dugbug thread starter macrumors 65816

dugbug

The threading is real, but I don't know if it is supportive (meaning it could be glue underneath) but I honestly hardly care how its held together as long as it is well done. The crap you see is from my pocket: you don't see glue anywhere no matter how close you get. Its also leather and thread, with imperfections that come with that. No precision aluminum or anything.

All I can say is I would buy the case again given the choice.

Gelaskins are very cool too. BTW I wanted this one:
    http://www.gelaskins.com/store/skins/phones/iPhone_4/Paper_Fish

-d

22. mytran80 macrumors regular

Is it even possible to sew leather onto hard plastic? If they had to glue leather onto plastic ,then I don't blame them , this is something I want . By far this is the sexiest snap on case for the iPhone 4 , incase's snap case can't even come close to this one .

I actually have the belkin leather which has leather sew onto the tpu/ silicone case , great quality , I love it but it's not a hard case :(

I also have a body glove snap on hard case with plaid posh design , I love it too but no leather :(

That being said , shinnorie combining a snap on hard case with leather backing is just perfect for me and maybe for many others
    [​IMG]

23. mytran80 macrumors regular

bravo! great pics im glad that i ordered it yesterday , hope they would be able to ship it out soon since it is not a personal customized case . also thanks for the follow-up on quality , and appearance overview;)

24. falconeight Guest

falconeight

It looks like someone has sewn a piece of leather on to cheap plastic. It would look nice if the leather covered the whole thing or it tapered.

25. mytran80 macrumors regular

Hhmmm the plastic looks fine , looks like the same plastic snap on that I have on the body glove posh , maybe the pics are too up close and personal :D

For example I have an incase slider case ,when viewing up close I can see the edges are poorly cut out ,and unaligned , I can also see a few black particles on the material that I can't remove assuming it's part of the molding.

Nothings perfect I guess especially up close.

Thanks for pointing that out , I wanna see an entire snap case at least the exterior covered in all leather for the I-4 , that'll be interesting